OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 am 
King of the One-Liner

Someone running a virtual seance again?

In a tourny this weekend...hope I can hit the ice skating at something close to game ready.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Wow, a blast from the past!

Did not know that about Darren Haydar. Reportedly his short stint in the Avalanche organization was an utter disaster.

What do you mean? He was only in 1 game with the Avs and a point per game in the A.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
Someone running a virtual seance again?

In a tourny this weekend...hope I can hit the ice skating at something close to game ready.

You'll be fine. Have fun with it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Won 3-2 in a game that saw us utterly dominated. I mean I played well, but really was extremely lucky more than anything. I groaned three times out loud to watch an empty net shot get buried on the far post only to watch them miss half an empty net. The problem is if we make the finals it is likely that team. lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Did not know that about Darren Haydar. Reportedly his short stint in the Avalanche organization was an utter disaster.

What do you mean? He was only in 1 game with the Avs and a point per game in the A.

Yeah, I meant the organization as a whole. The then-new Lake Erie Monsters were really struggling their first couple seasons or so, and the Avs at that time didn't have a whole lotta prospects to fill the ranks so they opted to sign some AHL vets to try and make the team more successful. Haydar was their prize acquisition. But reportedly, and take this with a grain of salt because I read it from a so-called "insider" on HF, when Haydar and a couple other vets got passed up for callups to Colorado, he didn't take it well and it more or less split the locker room. Again, NO idea if there's any truth to this, or if he was made promises by the Avs that were not kept, but the relationship didn't go past that one year. The Avs, at that time, were enjoying a resurgent (re: fluke) season, so they probably didn't feel the need to call him up. Either way, their strategy backfired.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Won 3-2 in a game that saw us utterly dominated. I mean I played well, but really was extremely lucky more than anything. I groaned three times out loud to watch an empty net shot get buried on the far post only to watch them miss half an empty net. The problem is if we make the finals it is likely that team. lol

If they didn't go in, they don't count as goals. You'll be fine! Go have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Oh we have fun either way, actually it is easier knowing you don't expect to win.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:12 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Oh we have fun either way, actually it is easier knowing you don't expect to win.

:lol: Been there.

I start up again on Monday after taking fall & winter off. I should be in great shape! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Gotta be good to be lucky, lucky to be good, right Hounsy? ;)

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Yeah, I meant the organization as a whole. The then-new Lake Erie Monsters were really struggling their first couple seasons or so, and the Avs at that time didn't have a whole lotta prospects to fill the ranks so they opted to sign some AHL vets to try and make the team more successful. Haydar was their prize acquisition. But reportedly, and take this with a grain of salt because I read it from a so-called "insider" on HF, when Haydar and a couple other vets got passed up for callups to Colorado, he didn't take it well and it more or less split the locker room. Again, NO idea if there's any truth to this, or if he was made promises by the Avs that were not kept, but the relationship didn't go past that one year. The Avs, at that time, were enjoying a resurgent (re: fluke) season, so they probably didn't feel the need to call him up. Either way, their strategy backfired.

I was curious about that too with the Wings. If I had actually gotten to talking to him, I wanted to ask about his time in GR and any experience with the Wings org.

The extent of any talking was at the end of the game I played against him in net where one of our guys, who is a buddy of his, had the puck beside the net and Haydar bearing down on him fast. Our guy deked and slipped it between Haydar's legs and missed the goalie pulled open net. I turned to Haydar behind the net and said "Of all the guys to try and fucking dangle here holding a one-goal lead..." and he just laughed. I asked my teammate after if he was purposely because it was Haydar but he said he didn't even know it was him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:46 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Holy shit, it's Hipcheck! 4 years later! hey!

Keep waiting this long to come back and someone will be named HipReplacement after a few more posts!

:lol: funny, I know a few guys who have had that procedure ... one is missing this season having his second hip done

We'll be calling him the bionic man when he returns

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 am 
King of the One-Liner

D man comments to me last night that I own this one young that plays with us. My comment came out as "I like guys that shoot where they should shoot it" and realized this sums up my game perfectly. I live an die by my reads and if shots flub, fan, shank, what ever you want to call it I get in trouble or if you can disguise your shot. Not sure if it is taught much with kids but that is a skill that should be worked on.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:34 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
D man comments to me last night that I own this one young that plays with us. My comment came out as "I like guys that shoot where they should shoot it" and realized this sums up my game perfectly. I live an die by my reads and if shots flub, fan, shank, what ever you want to call it I get in trouble or if you can disguise your shot. Not sure if it is taught much with kids but that is a skill that should be worked on.

Yeah, looking glove to shoot blocker is something I try to teach, even though I can't do it to save my life. :lol: I'm more of a "put it on net and hope for something good- like a rebound" kind of player. But I try to coach kids to not be.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:19 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

Yup, goaltending is so good now that so much of it is deception.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Yeah, looking glove to shoot blocker is something I try to teach, even though I can't do it to save my life. :lol: I'm more of a "put it on net and hope for something good- like a rebound" kind of player. But I try to coach kids to not be.

Myself and I suspect most goalies look too the stick and lower body to get a read, not the eyes. As well with better shooters the read is more a numbers thing and just being aware of what part of the net is available to be shot at.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:16 pm 
He of the red stockings

maybe that's why in the Playoffs Rask continually jumped out of the way on short side shots, giving the shooter the open side :chairshot:

It just seems like he's guessing most of the time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:07 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Myself and I suspect most goalies look too the stick and lower body to get a read, not the eyes. As well with better shooters the read is more a numbers thing and just being aware of what part of the net is available to be shot at.

I meant more "faking" for a certain shot and doing another. I wasn't clear. I don't think most beer league goalies are complaining about the Ovi tinted shield. :lol: Although we had a guy wear one and we all complained.... about what a douche bag he was for wearing it.

Unrelated to any of that- I just had to get a new helmet because some dick slew footed me last year to the point that it cracked my helmet when my head hit. The only helmets they had in my size were red/blue (no way am I wearing Rangers colors) or black/gold, which is my team's colors. So now I get made fun of for buying a helmet that matches our jerseys. Prior to that, the only gloves in my size and on sale- match our jerseys... So I'm "that guy". :lol: In the words of Peter Rabbit "It's all a bit, matchy-matchy". :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:37 am 
King of the One-Liner

Be a goalie...you are expected to be matchy matchy.

Could be worse you could be "69" guy. Yes I go on about that guy but they have it coming

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:52 pm 

Hounsy wrote:

Could be worse you could be "69" guy. Yes I go on about that guy but they have it coming

:lol: I didn't realize I said out loud the other day "it's bad enough that every beer league team has the #69 guy, but a frigging squirt???? come on!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:26 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

:lol: I didn't realize I said out loud the other day "it's bad enough that every beer league team has the #69 guy, but a frigging squirt???? come on!"

I've hardly ever noticed guys wearing 69 in beer league. I think one was just the commissioner of my summer league which is why that sweater is still floating around the league 12 years later or whatever :lol:

My goalie stuff isn't really matchy matchy...I just tried to find good deals. Did spend a little extra on current pair of White/Red gloves instead of the White/Black/Red to replace my Montreal white/red/blues. Pads are White/Silver/Red. Mask is white with blue decal.

We had a pair of Purple/Gold Vaughn pads growing up, and our town colours Were Green/Blue/White. :lol:

Player stuff the past number of years in the winter when we got sweaters we got socks to match. My helmet is red(bought it clearance from National Sports) and I've gotten made fun of a couple of times by the refs who always do our games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:32 pm 

Well not every team has a #69, but when there is a 69, he's always an asshole. Our team currently gives all the jerseys back to our goalie (who paid for them). Whoever fucked up the worst in the previous game gets #69 as their punishment. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next