OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:41 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I've been playing beer league for quite a while. Last night was definitely the first 0-0 tie I can ever remember. Then we went through OT scoreless, and in the SO, after playing one of the best games I've ever seen by him, our goalie was scored on by all 3 shooters he faced and we lost the SO 3-1. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I've been playing beer league for quite a while. Last night was definitely the first 0-0 tie I can ever remember. Then we went through OT scoreless, and in the SO, after playing one of the best games I've ever seen by him, our goalie was scored on by all 3 shooters he faced and we lost the SO 3-1. :lol:

Wow, don't know if I've ever seen a 0-0 game either :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 am 
King of the One-Liner

Overtime and a shootout? Man our rinks are booked to solid for that kinda fun. Just a shoot out for us till playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:01 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Overtime and a shootout? Man our rinks are booked to solid for that kinda fun. Just a shoot out for us till playoffs.

5 minute OT, 3 on 3. I hate it. I'm not exactly a flashy skill player these days. I look like a dick trying to screen the goalie and look for rebounds during 3 on 3. :lol: Other than the 1 time it worked.
We used to just have ties, and then the league commissioner's team had a few consecutive ties and he got annoyed because it meant going to like the 5th tie-breaker to figure out playoff seeding, so he decided if other beer league games have to be pushed back for OT & SO, so be it. The game before us went like 4 minutes of OT, so the schedule was already behind. So what if we start at 10:30 instead of 10:20? It just means the refs aren't going to call shit, and everyone knows it, so you just have to be cautious. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 am 
OTP Historian

Those crazy Niagara Falls tenders.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2017/0 ... ce-assault

Off to the league finals after we won our final round-robin game and got rescued by another team. After winning, first team was 2-1 and +5. We were 2-1 and +2. Another team with a bunch of guys my brother and I know was 1-1 and -1. Up 5-2 in the 2nd period. The ended up losing 8-7 in OT :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:00 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Off to the league finals after we won our final round-robin game and got rescued by another team. After winning, first team was 2-1 and +5. We were 2-1 and +2. Another team with a bunch of guys my brother and I know was 1-1 and -1. Up 5-2 in the 2nd period. The ended up losing 8-7 in OT :shock:

:lol: Gotta love those tight, defensive beer league games. Good luck in the finals!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Great now everyone knows my real name.

Remember that being talked about at the time did not think it would live up to the stories but seeing the video now...umm yeah that was something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

:lol: Gotta love those tight, defensive beer league games. Good luck in the finals!

In our league final, we played the same team that we beat in our final round-robin game, and the team that we've been getting into shit with all season long because of pretty much one meathead(shit list is long, but two of note were him chipping my D partner's tooth in one game and me spearing the shit of him another game). Bunch of young guys some apparently out of junior. My brother returns from a back injury, his first ever, after missing 2 round-robin playoff games. His fill-in was this guy(http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=115088), who is ridiculously good.

Anyways, Mike pitches a ridiculous 1-0 shutout and started a pretty great scrum. We played the winner of the Friday night part of the league last night, went into the 3rd period down 3-1 but absolutely killing them in shots. Ended up winning 5-3 and winning our 4th championship in a row. 3rd as this iteration of the team, but 4th for a bunch of us who were on the team before that. The trophy is dying a slow, painful death right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

In our league final, we played the same team that we beat in our final round-robin game, and the team that we've been getting into shit with all season long because of pretty much one meathead(shit list is long, but two of note were him chipping my D partner's tooth in one game and me spearing the shit of him another game). Bunch of young guys some apparently out of junior. My brother returns from a back injury, his first ever, after missing 2 round-robin playoff games. His fill-in was this guy(http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=115088), who is ridiculously good.

Anyways, Mike pitches a ridiculous 1-0 shutout and started a pretty great scrum. We played the winner of the Friday night part of the league last night, went into the 3rd period down 3-1 but absolutely killing them in shots. Ended up winning 5-3 and winning our 4th championship in a row. 3rd as this iteration of the team, but 4th for a bunch of us who were on the team before that. The trophy is dying a slow, painful death right now.

Well done! Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:03 pm 

Last night Miss18.1 helped her team win their first round varsity spring playoff game, vs a bunch of guys from her former travel team. She had 3 assists, and it was a lot of fun to see her help beat her former teammates.

Then, a mere 1.5 hours later, she made her beer league debut (at only 14), since my team only had 1 sub at game time. She again, had 3 assists, including one on my goal. You have no idea how relieved I was to score in front of her. :lol: And it was awesome to celebrate a goal with her. She didn't score but certainly held her own in the game, especially considering it was her 2nd game in such a short time, and most of the guys on our team viewed her as "ready to go" within 30 seconds of her sitting on the bench. She obviously made a good impression, as now my teammates refer to me as the Lesser 18. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Last night Miss18.1 helped her team win their first round varsity spring playoff game, vs a bunch of guys from her former travel team. She had 3 assists, and it was a lot of fun to see her help beat her former teammates.

Then, a mere 1.5 hours later, she made her beer league debut (at only 14), since my team only had 1 sub at game time. She again, had 3 assists, including one on my goal. You have no idea how relieved I was to score in front of her. :lol: And it was awesome to celebrate a goal with her. She didn't score but certainly held her own in the game, especially considering it was her 2nd game in such a short time, and most of the guys on our team viewed her as "ready to go" within 30 seconds of her sitting on the bench. She obviously made a good impression, as now my teammates refer to me as the Lesser 18. :lol:

That's absolutely amazing, dude. I love reading the stories of Gordie Howe playing with Mark and Marty, and I can only imagine how cool it would be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:19 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That's absolutely amazing, dude. I love reading the stories of Gordie Howe playing with Mark and Marty, and I can only imagine how cool it would be.

We have a father/son duo on our team, but at the opposite ends of the age spectrum. Son is my age & his dad is mid-60s. It's fun to watch them interact. Son calls his dad Joe like the rest of us. All I can say is, I hope I am as proud of my kids as Joe is of his son.

And yeah, it was really fun to be on the ice with her. But I am still so relieved to have scored! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

We have a father/son duo on our team, but at the opposite ends of the age spectrum. Son is my age & his dad is mid-60s. It's fun to watch them interact. Son calls his dad Joe like the rest of us. All I can say is, I hope I am as proud of my kids as Joe is of his son.

And yeah, it was really fun to be on the ice with her. But I am still so relieved to have scored! :lol:

So...is she better than you right now? :D

Did she drink more beer than you? ;)

Must be a pretty tame league if you were good with bringing her out. How'd your wife feel?

They talk about in a Howe book where they always called him Gordie like everyone else but there was one play where Mark was streaking up the ice and just called out "Dad!" for a pass and Gordie hit him perfectly. Every once in a while it comes out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:04 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Must be a pretty tame league if you were good with bringing her out. How'd your wife feel?

They talk about in a Howe book where they always called him Gordie like everyone else but there was one play where Mark was streaking up the ice and just called out "Dad!" for a pass and Gordie hit him perfectly. Every once in a while it comes out.

She's not actually better. My teammates are just dicks. :lol: As beer league teammates will be.
Neither of us drink. That I'm aware of anyway.
Wife was fine with it. She knows that if anybody said/did anything that my old Napoleonic complex would kick in and I'd handle it.
It's a tame league for the most part, but this was a particularly friendly game. A few guys play on 2 teams in our league, and this happened to be the team with half our team on it. So it was quite friendly. There are a few teams I wouldn't have had her play against.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

She's not actually better. My teammates are just dicks. :lol: As beer league teammates will be.
Wife was fine with it. She knows that if anybody said/did anything that my old Napoleonic complex would kick in and I'd handle it.
It's a tame league for the most part, but this was a particularly friendly game. A few guys play on 2 teams in our league, and this happened to be the team with half our team on it. So it was quite friendly. There are a few teams I wouldn't have had her play against.

Yeah, I know you don't drink, hence the wink :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:36 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

It's funny because all but 1 guy on the team I've been on for like 7 years all still think I drink and toss me a beer after every game. I hand it off to someone else and the 1 guy says "Am I seriously STILL the only one to realize Chris doesn't drink?"

And I just thought you were making a joke about a high school kid drinking more than their parent, which is probably pretty common if you think about it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

It's funny because all but 1 guy on the team I've been on for like 7 years all still think I drink and toss me a beer after every game. I hand it off to someone else and the 1 guy says "Am I seriously STILL the only one to realize Chris doesn't drink?"

And I just thought you were making a joke about a high school kid drinking more than their parent, which is probably pretty common if you think about it. :lol:

It was meant to be that too. One beer would have been more than you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Congrats! I consider it a milestone to be able to make it to sharing the ice with a child. While I doubt body is going to get me there I look at others that have and still hope.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:50 pm 

Bosc wrote:
It was meant to be that too. One beer would have been more than you!

Beer is gross. Even if I drank, it wouldn't be beer.

Hounsy wrote:
Congrats! I consider it a milestone to be able to make it to sharing the ice with a child. While I doubt body is going to get me there I look at others that have and still hope.

Thanks! It was a good night.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:29 pm 

Had a game last night. Everyone asked where my kid was and said they'd rather her than me. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next