OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:50 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Anybody know a way of combating the dreaded "hands of stone" that aged players get? I can't feel the frigging puck on my stick! Got new gloves, which have a thin palm, and seem really good. I can feel the stick- just not the puck on it. :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Are you still using wood or composite sticks? The big complaint I've heard about composites is they don't give you the feel of the puck the way wooden ones do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Are you still using wood or composite sticks? The big complaint I've heard about composites is they don't give you the feel of the puck the way wooden ones do.

Composite- but it's the same one I've been using for about 6 years. Could it be worn out or something like that? I had always felt like I got a better feeling for the puck with the composite. Maybe I was trying to justify the $180 price. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 pm 
He of the red stockings

Hounsy wrote:
Well went on to win out and then won the finals 1-0 trapping the crap out of beer league.

To be fair they had a goal called back that should of counted, but hey my never saying any crap to the refs ever paid off today. :awesome:

Belated congrats Hounsy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Composite- but it's the same one I've been using for about 6 years. Could it be worn out or something like that? I had always felt like I got a better feeling for the puck with the composite. Maybe I was trying to justify the $180 price. :?

When I used wood, I loved the Sherwood 5030, even though I don't normally like a lot of flex ... something about the response of that stick made it rock
however they were very fragile and at (eventually) $30 a stick became too expensive to use as I would rarely get 4 weeks out of one
When I got sick of all the various composites that suck, I checked out the 5030 again and found that Sherwood makes a composite 5030!
It had the look & FEEL of a wood! and at $95, way cheaper than most composites on the market
The first night I used one (pickup) I scored 5 goals ... mind you, it's rare that I get even 5 shots in one game, or month even
the next week I got 2 more goals ... then the next week I finally tried a slapshot, and missed the net by 25 feet!
The further left I aimed, the further right it went ... when I aimed for the left corner (of the rink) it went to the right corner (of the rink)
I tried shortening the stick thinking it was too much flex. I bought another one with a straight blade.... same thing
I went to a rink that had a shooting room, (rubber floor) and everything was fine .... but on the ice, problem returned
hmmm..... only happens on ice .... :hrm:

After a few dumps on the ice, I replaced my skate blades and like a miracle the bad slapshot problem vanished!
turns out my skates were the issue ... when I wound up and followed through on a slap shot, I was rocking back because I had no heel left on my blades
that's what was making my slapshots drift ... it wasn't affecting the wristshot, because apparently we shoot wristshots from the middle forward

anyways, if you don't mind flex (about 75 to 90, depending on model), I would recommend the Sherwood 5030 composite for price, feel, and performance

that said, I have to go out buy at least one - I lost my D stick last winter on a slap shot, and someone slashed my forward stick in half a few weeks ago!
:chris18:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm 

I've got a Mission L2 & always loved it.

Picked up a Warrior Dolomite cheaply & like that okay.
It's just, well, ME.

If getting a new stick I'll keep that one in mind though. thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 pm 
He of the red stockings

fair enough - just thought you were looking for something else with more feel

looking through the Bruins post season book (tons of excellent shots) I noticed at least half the players on all the teams
seem to using Warrior sticks and equipment, so that says something
Some of them were obviously honoring endorsements and had the same brand for ALL their equipment
But even among those with mis-matched gear (like myself) the Warrior sticks were in high use

I looked into getting a Mission a few years back (I believe on your recommendation) but was never able to find one
I seem to remember Pavel Bure using one, but that memory may be obscured

By comparison, I've not seen a single Sherwood stick in use among pros :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:02 pm 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:

By comparison, I've not seen a single Sherwood stick in use among pros :oops:

Crosby was a while back but uses Rbk now I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hip- When Mission was bought by Bauer they killed Mission's stick brand. All Bauer now.

Hounsy- I thought Crosby was the RBK spokesman since he was drafted. I know he has been for at least 4 years. My kid has an RBK stick with his name & photo on it. :? Only stick they had small enough when she was 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hip- When Mission was bought by Bauer they killed Mission's stick brand. All Bauer now.

Hounsy- I thought Crosby was the RBK spokesman since he was drafted. I know he has been for at least 4 years. My kid has an RBK stick with his name & photo on it. :? Only stick they had small enough when she was 4.

He signed an endorsement deal with RBK, but I don't believe that he started using their twigs right away. I think I may have actually had a Crosby Sher-wood stick at some point.

I was using a cutoff and hollowed for tapered blades red Easton Synergy Si-Core grip with a Sakic Synthesis si-core blade(5.5 lie, 1/2" mid-open curve). I've been using the Sakic curve for years. I've had a Syergy II tapered shaft for a while but hadn't used it. I have a Synthesis Modano blade in it(5 lie, 3/8" mid-heel closed) and I started using it recently. I like how it feels. I feel like I have a bit more control over the height of the puck vs. the Sakic, which used to sail on me at times. I wanted to try a closed face. I picked up a couple of Zetterberg Synergy SE16(newer Synthesis) blades off of ebay for 61 bucks(these normally go 70-80 if you can find them at all in stores), and they're pretty much the same as what the Modano was. The tapered Synthesis/SE16 blades are expensive in stores but if you keep an eye on Ebay you can pick them up for 30-40 a pop after shipping. Cheaper than buying a new twig every time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:44 am 

Well thanks for the correction, Forum Historian. :lol:

I have the 2nd blade from my L2. I might try using that. If I don't have better feeling, I guess I'll call the Rangers or Leafs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:12 pm 

Oddly, I'm using the same gear all around, and have good feeling these days. No more dead-hands. Starting to wonder if it is more a mental issue than physical (with all older players, not just me).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:37 pm 

:shock: Was playing pick up hockey this morning, when I noticed a FUCKING HUGE cut in my hockey pants. At first I thought the nylon exterior just torn. Nope! Obviously from an opponent's skate blade- cut through the nylon, the first layer of foam, the PLASTIC shell, more foam, the interior nylon. Cut is 8" long! the plastic isn't broken or cracked- it's CUT. The edge of it is still there- shaved to paper thin.... I can't find a cut on my socks, which is weird, but obviously good.

Best part is- I do not remember any incident that damn near castrated me. I just kept looking down at the cut today, trying to remember when it happened, and thinking about how many major arteries run through the thigh...

And I almost bought new pants a few weeks ago! Glad I didn't now- would have ruined new pants instead of my 13 year old ones. :lol: Off to the hockey shop!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Started a new season with a 5-1 win. Game should of been closer but bounced our way..lost the shut out with 18 seconds remaining. Oh well don't seem bother by shutouts, just hate losing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:30 am 

18.... bad luck number. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Hey Jeff, looks like the Barleys are kicking some serious ass this year! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:

Yeah, we have. I missed the first two games but they matched up some established teams that they figured would be good(or know they'd be A group) against unknowns. Those 2 games were blowouts, and since then we've won 9-2 and 9-0 against 2 teams in our division. Next up is Super Car Wash(now Ivy Arms) so we'll see how that goes.

How are you guys doing so far?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:19 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Bosc wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:

Yeah, we have. I missed the first two games but they matched up some established teams that they figured would be good(or know they'd be A group) against unknowns. Those 2 games were blowouts, and since then we've won 9-2 and 9-0 against 2 teams in our division. Next up is Super Car Wash(now Ivy Arms) so we'll see how that goes.

How are you guys doing so far?

Not that great as we are the only team who was made up of just people who registered vs. established teams. we are 0-2-1

Rob Heagle is on my team though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:41 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:

Jesus, who was the opposing goalie? Hounsy? :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 am 
OTP Historian

Two things happened at hockey tonight:

1. A guy on the other team got a tripping penalty and absolutely lost it on something in the penalty box. The ref booted him. Turns out he was really giving it to the garbage can in there. Reminded me of this, which was absolutely hilarious:

2. One of our guys went down immediately after taking a faceoff. "My left knee is done". Couldn't put any weight on it at all. Was in huge pain just getting carried off. He said something popped and his kneecap was knocked out. He wasn't kidding. When the paramedics arrived and got his shin pad off, his kneecap was about an inch and a half to two inches too far to the left :x :x :x I can't believe how non-vocal he was the whole time about how much pain he was in. They got him on a stretcher, put his kneecap back in place and got him some morphine and out of there. Hope he's ok :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next