OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Beer league philosophy- not all d-bags wear #69, but all who wear #69 are d-bags.

Pretty much. I did here word of mouth that one guy wearing it in a tourney was due to a lost bet and not his choice.

Our summer league convener wears it :lol: Clean player, not a d-bag.

He doesn't talk shit all the time? Or play like 2 divisions down from where he belongs? If so, this is truly an outlier!

Yup! Just that he kind of stacks his team at times because his goalie can be really bad some nights.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Yup! Just that he kind of stacks his team at times because his goalie can be really bad some nights.

I know that feeling. :lol: Our goalie stole a game for us a few weeks ago, 3-0 win. Had like 35 saves, many of them really good ones. We knew he'd used up all his good work for the next month, and we got smoked in the next few games. Even he said that's what happened. :lol:

But that is amazing that a #69 guy isn't a d-bag. I once coached a peewee who wore #69. His parents thought it was awesome that he requested it. Needless to say, they were all d-bags. Peewee...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I know that feeling. :lol: Our goalie stole a game for us a few weeks ago, 3-0 win. Had like 35 saves, many of them really good ones. We knew he'd used up all his good work for the next month, and we got smoked in the next few games. Even he said that's what happened. :lol:

But that is amazing that a #69 guy isn't a d-bag. I once coached a peewee who wore #69. His parents thought it was awesome that he requested it. Needless to say, they were all d-bags. Peewee...

Jesus :lol:

It's funny, our winter league goalie didn't let in a goal until the 50th minute of our ice time a few weeks back, it was incredible. Our ice is 50 minutes long but they've let us stay on an extra 20-30 minutes each time so he let some in after that but it was still really cool to watch. Then he just let about everything in the next week :lol:

I think I'm going to convert my Graf goalie skates to cowl-less using a shop in town. My older brother got it done and absolutely loves it. Next step after that will be to try some post-2005 sized pads :lol: Should cost about $200. I bought the skates at a clearance for that much when Graf Canada went under(nice work, dipshit Claude Lemieux) and they retailed for $700+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 pm 

What's the advantage of going cowl-less? I know newer models don't have them, but those boots are way stiffer, aren't they? Is it just the bulk of the cowl?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:03 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
What's the advantage of going cowl-less? I know newer models don't have them, but those boots are way stiffer, aren't they? Is it just the bulk of the cowl?

Less weight and bulk. Reduces the angle you need to get your pad off of the ice by a lot to push off. I am not a modern goaltender in style or efficiency at all, and still wearing 12" pads so I thought this would be a start at working on footwork and recovery instead of sinking a shit ton of money into new pads. The Grafs have a big cowling and the skate guy says that the skate toe is virtually indestructable and combined with my pad toe bridge I shouldn't take a protection hit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:08 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Less weight and bulk. Reduces the angle you need to get your pad off of the ice by a lot to push off. I am not a modern goaltender in style or efficiency at all, and still wearing 12" pads so I thought this would be a start at working on footwork and recovery instead of sinking a shit ton of money into new pads. The Grafs have a big cowling and the skate guy says that the skate toe is virtually indestructable and combined with my pad toe bridge I shouldn't take a protection hit.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Being a non-goalie, goalie gear is such a foreign concept. Especially gear mods, changes in tech.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm 

Me: Hey guys, let's get new jerseys since we all wear mismatched shit.
Team: Great idea!
Me: What color, design, etc?
Team: Nobody cares. Up to you.

Two weeks and 50 designs later, Me: Here's the design!
Team: I don't like the color.
The layout, I don't know...
I don't like it.
We should just remake the ones we had before!
We should have all had input.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 am 
OTP Historian

I've been frequently playing two nights a week, one or both nights in net. Two weeks ago on Monday night, we got shelled against a really good team while we were shorthanded. I had a really good game in net even though we lost 7-1.

The next night(Tuesday), I proceeded to take a shot off of the wrist, one found a spot on my elbow literally the day after I told my wife the next piece of gear will likely be an arm and chest protector, and then one off the top of the knee(this rarely happens and I tried wearing a set of knee pads from my brother but they chafed the shit out of my knee).

Saturday morning, woke up with awful pain in my lower back and hip. Sunday and Monday was basically spent lying on the couch with a heating pad.

So for the past week and a half I've been using up all of my benefits on chiro, massage and tomorrow some chiro. It's basically my right hip muscles. Never had this kind of injury in net before but probably a combination of hockey, desk, change in desk chairs and stuff. Feeling a ton better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:24 am 

How old are you now? :lol:

Those things you shook off in your 20s leave some pain in your 30s and your 40s are constant reminders of all the things you shook off in your youth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:06 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Those things you shook off in your 20s leave some pain in your 30s and your 40s are constant reminders of all the things you shook off in your youth.

39, man. 40 next October.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:08 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I still feel like you're the "young guy" of OTP. :lol: Yet I'm fully aware that you're married with kids.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:52 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Holy crap Jeff! It seems like yesterday you came to my 40th birthday party and you were in your 20's.

How time has just flown by.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:18 pm 
OTP Historian

Scott 679 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Holy crap Jeff! It seems like yesterday you came to my 40th birthday party and you were in your 20's.

How time has just flown by.

I know man, it's crazy.

I think Erik, Bruce and I are all 82's. Bumpy, was he a little older than us? Shani and Lisa were younger than us but I think that's it.

Scott, I replied to your PM a while back. Are you not back on the ice this year?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jesus, even Jeff's hitting 40 now???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:58 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Jesus, even Jeff's hitting 40 now???

OTP = Old Timers Posting

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:23 pm 
King of the One-Liner

took me years to figure out but ice not heat is what works for my back. Though all back pain is not created equal.

Knock on wood but so far so good playing 2-3 times a week these last few months.

Bosc they cost a fortune but if you can pull off the funds for a Brown it will never let you down and last twice as long as the best Vaughn, CCM. etc brands.

and you can get them in all black. doesn't just look cool they never show the sweat stains.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:13 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
took me years to figure out but ice not heat is what works for my back. Though all back pain is not created equal.

Knock on wood but so far so good playing 2-3 times a week these last few months.

Bosc they cost a fortune but if you can pull off the funds for a Brown it will never let you down and last twice as long as the best Vaughn, CCM. etc brands.

and you can get them in all black. doesn't just look cool they never show the sweat stains.[/img]

Nice, thanks for the suggestion! My brother's got a CCM CL Pro that's I'll give a shot with first.

Growing up we had a pair of jet black Brown pads. They looked rad.

Loving the cowl-less conversion to my Grafs. The guy who did them said they he thought I'd be much more balanced on the new ones than the old steel based on the rocker and pitch angle. He knows he shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:35 am 

Played against the league d-bags the other night. Our goalie is out with covid and the rink supplied goalie arrived late. Dude ripped a slap shot at me in net with me in regular pads. Needless to say, it scored and I was not exactly happy with him for shooting that hard at me (and lifting it to like hip height). Later in the game the puck was halfway between me and this wonderful young man, probably about 25 years old and well built. I went for the puck, he started to lower his shoulder so I pretended not to notice but did the same. Flattened the gym class hero with an offensive hit, but I'm so nice I even asked if he was okay before I passed the puck. The kid was shocked that this fat midget knocked him down. Still got it, kid!
I also put a shot off him that scored. Small victories. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:37 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Played against the league d-bags the other night. Our goalie is out with covid and the rink supplied goalie arrived late. Dude ripped a slap shot at me in net with me in regular pads. Needless to say, it scored and I was not exactly happy with him for shooting that hard at me (and lifting it to like hip height). Later in the game the puck was halfway between me and this wonderful young man, probably about 25 years old and well built. I went for the puck, he started to lower his shoulder so I pretended not to notice but did the same. Flattened the gym class hero with an offensive hit, but I'm so nice I even asked if he was okay before I passed the puck. The kid was shocked that this fat midget knocked him down. Still got it, kid!

Nice work!

League got shut down when I was ready to come back :x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Nice work!

League got shut down when I was ready to come back :x

My rink/league is very unlikely to be shutdown. Their attitude is very much "if you don't get tested you won't be told to quarantine". :roll: I regret signing up for the winter league.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next