OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:03 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I broke 3 sticks in 2 weeks. More likely 2 of them had split blades for a while and I just didn't realize it, but I wound up having to use an antique on Wednesday night. Mission L-2 came out of retirement. Brett Hull blade. It's older than some of my beer league teammates. :lol: One asked if Mission was a new company. I just laughed. It got me through a game but it seems to have stiffened with time. It had been sitting in my basement for a good 10 years or so. I don't remember why I stopped using it, besides that it's a 2 piece and I became a stick snob. :lol: It's also kinda heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:20 pm 

I've been very lucky to avoid hockey injuries over the years. Last night, my teammate skated past me and somehow managed to hook his big foot around my skate and my legs did a wishbone impression. I don't mean the little Jack Russel that reenacted old stories. I mean the turkey kind, that gets pulled apart until it breaks. I did a split and fell, hearing something pop- in my ass. And I don't mean a fart. I laid on the ice thinking my groin was pulled (a little pain there but not bad). Finally got up and hobbled to the bench. Sat on a puck as a way of "rolling out" my ass cheek. Played the rest of the game after taking a shift off. Felt better when I was skating than when I was sitting. Sore in all kinds of other areas today. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:06 pm 
OTP Historian

That's not fun :x :x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Scott 679 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Got a new mask, a Bauer 940. A couple of kids on the team(their dads are on the team as well) are younger than my old mask with a manufactured in 2005 sticker on it :lol:

Welcome to my world now Jeff! :lol:

:lol:

Chris18 wrote:
I've been very lucky to avoid hockey injuries over the years. Last night, my teammate skated past me and somehow managed to hook his big foot around my skate and my legs did a wishbone impression. I don't mean the little Jack Russel that reenacted old stories. I mean the turkey kind, that gets pulled apart until it breaks. I did a split and fell, hearing something pop- in my ass. And I don't mean a fart. I laid on the ice thinking my groin was pulled (a little pain there but not bad). Finally got up and hobbled to the bench. Sat on a puck as a way of "rolling out" my ass cheek. Played the rest of the game after taking a shift off. Felt better when I was skating than when I was sitting. Sore in all kinds of other areas today. :lol:

That's not fun :x :x Always scary to feel something pop and immediately think, oh shit what just broke? Had that with a knee a couple of seasons ago playing in net, nothing came of it.

A few weeks ago, I got run into so hard that my neck went sideways and pinched a nerve. My arm went tingly and numb down to my hand for a minute or so. That wasn't fun. I've gotten run into again the last couple of weeks pretty solidly. It's pickup with a regular group so that's getting a little annoying from guys you play regularly with. It's happened when guys are cutting in close and I kind of stay near the top of my crease to stay high and tight and not back in deep. Maybe I need to back up a little bit but that's a conscious adjustment I'll have to make.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:05 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Got a new mask, a Bauer 940. A couple of kids on the team(their dads are on the team as well) are younger than my old mask with a manufactured in 2005 sticker on it :lol:

Welcome to my world now Jeff! :lol:

:lol:

Chris18 wrote:

That's not fun :x :x Always scary to feel something pop and immediately think, oh shit what just broke? Had that with a knee a couple of seasons ago playing in net, nothing came of it.

A few weeks ago, I got run into so hard that my neck went sideways and pinched a nerve. My arm went tingly and numb down to my hand for a minute or so. That wasn't fun. I've gotten run into again the last couple of weeks pretty solidly. It's pickup with a regular group so that's getting a little annoying from guys you play regularly with. It's happened when guys are cutting in close and I kind of stay near the top of my crease to stay high and tight and not back in deep. Maybe I need to back up a little bit but that's a conscious adjustment I'll have to make.

Yeah that's annoying to get hit repeatedly in a friendly match.
My teammate who took me out asked after the game what happened to me. I was like "uhhh, when you swept my leg like you're in Cobra Kai I did a split and something in my ass popped." "I took you out? What?" "Okay Johnny. Pretend it never happened. That's cool. Pass me that bag of ice, would ya?" Friendly fire... Worst kind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:46 am 

Before our game last night there was a AAA 16Upractice. The kids were leaving and obviously making fun of our game and I assume us old beer leaguers in general. My teammate yelled "get a good laugh boys, but this is your future! See you in a few short years." A few of them rolled their eyes and a few realized he was right. Their coach was with them and was pretty pissed, probably because he wants to keep selling them the dream with extra private practices.

All roads lead to beer league, whether the kids know it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Before our game last night there was a AAA 16Upractice. The kids were leaving and obviously making fun of our game and I assume us old beer leaguers in general. My teammate yelled "get a good laugh boys, but this is your future! See you in a few short years." A few of them rolled their eyes and a few realized he was right. Their coach was with them and was pretty pissed, probably because he wants to keep selling them the dream with extra private practices.

All roads lead to beer league, whether the kids know it or not.

Some guys I play with(they are 50+) said there was a guy wearing Islanders pants in their Friday night league(I used to play Thurs/Friday and we would cross over against the Friday teams) who they said is huge and when he wants to skate, good luck. Their team has not gotten younger, the rest of the league has.

Do you remember Jason Pitton at all?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... ?pid=71853

Along with his brother, who played A in net but is playing out.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... ?pid=82703

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:50 pm 

Yes! I remember seeing Pitton on the Sound Tigers quite a few times when I'd go to games.

I've played pickup against a few guys who either had played in the NHL or were close to (Matt Herr (Bruins, Panthers and I think a few other stops) and Boo Nieves, respectively). I had no idea who they were when they showed up, but I remember watching Herr take what looked like 2 effortless strides and he was GONE. It always cracks me up when the average beer leaguer seems to truly believe they could play in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Yes! I remember seeing Pitton on the Sound Tigers quite a few times when I'd go to games.

I've played pickup against a few guys who either had played in the NHL or were close to (Matt Herr (Bruins, Panthers and I think a few other stops) and Boo Nieves, respectively). I had no idea who they were when they showed up, but I remember watching Herr take what looked like 2 effortless strides and he was GONE. It always cracks me up when the average beer leaguer seems to truly believe they could play in the NHL.

Just as amazing than the skating to me is the puck control and calmness. Seeing my brother against the Leafs alumni, they could have their stick within 4 inches of the puck and it didn't matter. They weren't touching that puck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:14 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Just as amazing than the skating to me is the puck control and calmness. Seeing my brother against the Leafs alumni, they could have their stick within 4 inches of the puck and it didn't matter. They weren't touching that puck.

Yeah, it's crazy just how much better those guys are than the average player. Just a whole other level of skill.

And poise with the puck. There's something I don't have. :lol: I'm on 2 teams now, B & C leagues. I'm average for the C league. For B I'm well below average but score more because I just refuse to move from the slot and pick up lots of rebounds/deflections. But besides that, I barely touch the puck. :lol: When I get it, despite all my plans otherwise, I try to unload it to a faster/better teammate ASAP. If there's no play I usually just grenade it away. :fffffuck: :lol: Trying hard to break the habit, but it's not easy after years of it. I had one of my co-coaches on my team for a while. I grenaded the puck one day and he yelled at me that if one of my players I'd light into them at first, then remind them that they're better than that. I said "yeah I would. But I'm NOT better than that." :lol: Like I always say, 4th liners often make the best coaches because they teach players to be better than they were.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:17 am 

Org I played for growing up had a 50th year celebration yesterday, including a tournament of players from over the years. All teams were a great mix of old guys and young kids. I was on a team with a good friend/previous co-coach, and some kids I coached as bantams. Great time. Saw some old friends. My friend's father was our coach as kids. He came to watch, but wouldn't tell me I sucked like he used to. :lol: We were down 2-1 with 1:30 to play in the last game of the opening round when I asked "when are we pulling the goalie?" People acted like it was a totally novel idea. We pulled him and not only tied it, but then we scored again to win in regulation. Championship game- we were again down by 1 with about 2 minutes to play. I said it again, we pulled him, tied it, and then won in OT. Former player said "good to see you're still coaching us." :lol:

They did a great job with it. Original team had no name and just used an old school goalie mask as the logo. They became the Panthers years ago and (illegally) use the Florida logo. They put the old logo on the left shoulder and new one on the right. Great way to incorporate old and new logos and make everyone happy.

Also nice of one guy to seriously dial it back. He came in with a Toronto Marlies bag. I'm told he had a cup of coffee in the NHL. He rifled a shot right past my chest that scared the shit out of me. He skated over to apologize. Told him he owed me new drawers.

Played 5 games in 22 hours. Never poured sweat out of my helmet before. Seriously. Poured it out. Disgusting. But it was nice to win it in front of our old coach and his wife, who was the org pres for years. My wife was away and my younger daughter and her friend opted to watch a high school game on the other sheet instead of watching us win it in OT. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22