OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:45 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Was on the ice three of the last four days and now nothing scheduled till the new year, but we believe that this will be it till February at best.

My Son is in a holiday tourney next week but would be shocked if that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:07 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
My Son is in a holiday tourney next week but would be shocked if that happens.

We are in one as well. I'm hoping Massachusetts shuts it down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:24 am 

We scored to take a 6-2 lead last night and the opposing goalie just lost his shit and broke his stick over the cross bar. Threw the pieces toward center ice and yelled at his team. They asked if we had an extra goalie stick. I said "so he can break ours? Fuck that. Give him a player stick". The guy replied "so he can break my spare? Fuck that!" :lol: So the dude played stickless and we backed off a bit.

On the way out after the game, my goalie tried to hide that he had a spare stick the entire time. I told him the opposing goalie's son saw him pick up both his sticks to leave, and then realized this brilliant opposing goalie had his 12 year old son at a beer league game at midnight on a school night. Quality parenting there. About as good as his example of yelling at his teammates for a goal he should have stopped and breaking a $150 stick over a beer league game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:00 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
We scored to take a 6-2 lead last night and the opposing goalie just lost his shit and broke his stick over the cross bar. Threw the pieces toward center ice and yelled at his team. They asked if we had an extra goalie stick. I said "so he can break ours? Fuck that. Give him a player stick". The guy replied "so he can break my spare? Fuck that!" :lol: So the dude played stickless and we backed off a bit.

On the way out after the game, my goalie tried to hide that he had a spare stick the entire time. I told him the opposing goalie's son saw him pick up both his sticks to leave, and then realized this brilliant opposing goalie had his 12 year old son at a beer league game at midnight on a school night. Quality parenting there. About as good as his example of yelling at his teammates for a goal he should have stopped and breaking a $150 stick over a beer league game.

Geez. At least when I busted a twig in beer league I had a backup :lol:

I've got a CCM BRZ120 or something, 75 Flex player stick. I think it's lasted at least two full seasons now, maybe 3 :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:41 am 
King of the One-Liner

I've become so complacent with the composites made today that I only carry a backup stick for playoffs and tournaments.

Can't even recall the last time an NHL'er had a stick break in game, other than self inflicted rage meets the bar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:01 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I've become so complacent with the composites made today that I only carry a backup stick for playoffs and tournaments.

Can't even recall the last time an NHL'er had a stick break in game, other than self inflicted rage meets the bar.

I had a bantam goalie break his composite stick in a game about 6 years ago. I asked where his backup was and he pointed to the parking lot. His obese mother was livid to have to go get it. Fortunately the opposing goalie was really cool and lent him a stick, so the mom just sat back down. :roll:

Agreed, never seen an NHL goalie break a stick. Just 23 skaters/game. :lol: I always wonder when NHL goalies flex their sticks to pass it up hard if it will break. Hasn't happened yet. It will be a playoff OT or something when it finally happens. :lol:

Bosc wrote:

I've got a CCM BRZ120 or something, 75 Flex player stick. I think it's lasted at least two full seasons now, maybe 3 :shock:

I've had a custom Bauer Nexus for like 3 years now. Love it. Also been getting sticks through Custom Hockey Sticks (www.customhockeysticks.ca) for a few years for my kids. They're great, although the costs are certainly rising closer to brand name sticks. Still less, but creeping up. I got myself one last year and actually like it better than the Bauer. For a midget like me, I can fully customize the length and flex. Normally I buy a low flex adult stick or high flex intermediate stick. Neither seems to work right. The intermediate sticks are too whippy and passes bounce off my stick. The cut down adult sticks get too stiff when cut to proper "height" for me. The only reason I got the Bauer was a friend worked there and got me discounted stuff. Wish I'd known she was leaving. I'd have loaded up! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:55 pm 

Here’s a new one. D partner (a little rotund) came to the bench after me. I thought I’d be nice and open the door for him. He climbed onto the boards but stopped because the door was open, under the lower half of his leg. So I started slowly closing it so he he wouldn’t fall. He yelled in pain. Said his “leg flab” was between the door and board. Today he says he’s got a huge blood blister. Whoops! So I’m calling him Johnny two bags since he’s almost got two scrotums. Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Here’s a new one. D partner (a little rotund) came to the bench after me. I thought I’d be nice and open the door for him. He climbed onto the boards but stopped because the door was open, under the lower half of his leg. So I started slowly closing it so he he wouldn’t fall. He yelled in pain. Said his “leg flab” was between the door and board. Today he says he’s got a huge blood blister. Whoops! So I’m calling him Johnny two bags since he’s almost got two scrotums. Yikes.

Ouch :shock:

Played in a local charity tourney again, first time they ran it since 2019. Haydar suited up again and despite going about 10% we didn't have the puck anytime he was on the ice. They beat us 7-1 or so. He came down on me once 1-on-1 and I said "Please don't embarass me". He started laughing and didn't manage to get a chance off of it.

They stacked their team and ran like 3 practices before the tourney(again, charity tourney). We played them again in the finals without Haydar but they still had a bunch of guys who played junior/uni while we were just trying to round up subs for the last day and ended up beating us 5-3 or something. They took a bunch of penalties that turned into 5-on-3s when they wouldn't stop complaining and giving it to the ref(again, charity tourney) but we couldn't do much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:01 pm 

Hopefully you had fun though.

Stacking up for a charity tournament... Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:04 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Yeah this tourney is a good time. The newfy club from Cambridge was pretty chippy this year and the guys who won, well...it's a charity tourney with no clappers and people still take it too seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:36 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Yeah this tourney is a good time. The newfy club from Cambridge was pretty chippy this year and the guys who won, well...it's a charity tourney with no clappers and people still take it too seriously.

Gotta love people. Put any sort of competition on the line and watch the nutters come out to play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Did they have "that guy" wearing number 69? They usually do have one.

I've started the season with two stinkers out of three games. At that age where I still don't know if I am having a bad streak or if I lost a few steps over the summer. :suprisedtoangry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:08 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Did they have "that guy" wearing number 69? They usually do have one.

I've started the season with two stinkers out of three games. At that age where I still don't know if I am having a bad streak or if I lost a few steps over the summer. :suprisedtoangry:

Nope, nobody wearing 69 :lol:

After an absolute brutal goal along the ice glove side in my first game back from covid in summer league playoffs, I've been on a pretty good goaltending run. We won the 3rd place game in the summer with a 5-round shootout win where I didn't get scored on, including against a couple of guys who have my number(game was 1-1 with one of those guys getting the only goal).

Fucking love the new pads. I'm playing out in our winter league but still playing every couple of weeks in net.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:52 am 

A few weeks ago I played really well and was very happy. Last night my level of play has me questioning if I should keep playing at all. Ah, father time, you're a bastard. As is your evil cousin, belly fat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:19 am 

Got roped into playing a charity tournament this weekend. The amount of absolute dicks that come out of the woodwork for these things is incredible. I typically get one tripping penalty every 25 games. I play hockey for fun, not to be a dick. I nearly got in 2 fights this weekend. It's amazing how the dicks who dish out trash talk and cheap shots can't take it when done back to them. One was a guy like 45 years old and the other was a current college player. One was old enough to know better and the other should be good enough to know better.

But man, 4 games in 2 days is a lot more tiring than I thought it would be. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:11 am 

At my kid's last game I found a neckguard on the bench so I kept it to ask whose it was. None of theirs and it's a Senior size so won't even fit any of them. Figured I'd keep it. Washed it 3x and it still smells of Axe. I guess it belonged to a teenage boy. Yes, I'm writing the next Sherlock Holmes book now.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:27 pm 

My custom Bauer stick has finally shit the bed after 4 years. I kept having shots & passes slice the last 2 games. Yep, split along the bottom of the blade's heel. Pouring out my water bottle for it... :cry:

And of course, I found it right after a sale ended for custom sticks. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:34 am 

I did one of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed in a game last night. Puck came to me at the point and I kept it in the zone while stopping, turned a bit and wound up for a slap shot, while too close to the boards. Hit the top of the boards on my downswing, causing the puck to practically dribbled 15' right to their fastest guy, who blew past me and scored an insurance goal at the time (made it 5-1 at the time but we made it interesting and finished 5-4). To make it worse, on the next shift the puck came to me again and I successfully managed a wind-up, only for the puck to dribble way off target. I'd broken my new stick on the shot before. I say new. It's been sitting in my basement about a year, so the warranty is long evaporated... Good times. Hockey can't be stressful at all. It was just a playoff game.
:chris18: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:39 am 
OTP Historian

:lol: That's great

We started out our summer season pretty rough, went 0-1-4. We won our first game without me in net since I had to miss a game. Then we proceeded to tie, lose, win, win, win and tie.

We've won games where the other teams were missing good players but we still won and we've got a little more chemistry. Outside of the new team, we had a bunch of players change from last year.

Got a new mask, a Bauer 940. A couple of kids on the team(their dads are on the team as well) are younger than my old mask with a manufactured in 2005 sticker on it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:50 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Bosc wrote:
Got a new mask, a Bauer 940. A couple of kids on the team(their dads are on the team as well) are younger than my old mask with a manufactured in 2005 sticker on it :lol:

Welcome to my world now Jeff! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next