OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:02 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
LOL ... just dug out my blades from under a pile in the basement to check out the wheels

they are 82a, and what's left of the label claims they are "Outdoor Hockey"

and as I expected, they are worn at an angle on the inside :x

Time to rotate!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 am 
He of the red stockings

Haven't used them in many years
the last time I rotated my wheels when they were severely worn on the inside, I couldn't skate on them
Sure I had more push, but when I cornered I would completely lose it because there was no rubber on the outside "edge"
I guess you're supposed to rotate before it gets to that point :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:36 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

i rarely come into this room as i don't play anymore, so pardon my tardiness, i not only love inline hockey, i loved it enough to start my own league, http://www.vihl.net, with a couple buddies, i don't own it anymore as i sold off a few years back, got too busy. but if anyone makes fun of inline, i'll give you this to fight back, 2 current NHL'ers played in my league before they were drafted. Gilbert Brule and David Jones http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/am/pla ... asonid=410 check the point total! i can't find Brule stats, i think he was the year before when we didn't have Pointstreak. he has his 2004 stats, which is 0 http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/am/pla ... asonid=410 cause i think thats the year he was drafted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Season went pretty well. Lots of fun. But whose idea is it to paint inline rinks dark colors??? I suppose it's because the potential for a white surface to get marked up by dark wheels, but those kids were dying of heat exhaustion.

I gave my daughter the choice between summer inline ($25 for the season- 5 minutes away) or cross-ice ($175- 30 minutes away, paid parking.....) Ice of course! Not that we're giving up on inline, but the inline rink is in full sun. Early morning skates are my plan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:24 pm 

If anybody is looking for super cheap bearings check out www.608bearings.com Great prices, especially if you buy in bulk. Watch the quality though- they've got some really great bearings & some real crap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:30 pm 

What kind of sticks do you guys use for inline? (Blades specifically)

I've been using an old composite stick (that is way too stiff), with a wood/ABS blade. I get wood splinters flying now & then. My daughter's inline stick is composite with an all ABS blade. I am having difficulty finding all ABS blades in Sr. size. When I look at inline specific web sites, I am surprised to see they are mainly selling regular 1 piece composite sticks. I assume these are mainly for indoor use on tile or sportcourt-like surfaces. We play on asphalt inline rinks mostly.

Does anyone use 1 piece composite on asphalt/concrete? How long would it be expected to last?I was looking at the Bauer x:20 series, which are about the cheapest composites around.

Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
What kind of sticks do you guys use for inline? (Blades specifically)

I've been using an old composite stick (that is way too stiff), with a wood/ABS blade. I get wood splinters flying now & then. My daughter's inline stick is composite with an all ABS blade. I am having difficulty finding all ABS blades in Sr. size. When I look at inline specific web sites, I am surprised to see they are mainly selling regular 1 piece composite sticks. I assume these are mainly for indoor use on tile or sportcourt-like surfaces. We play on asphalt inline rinks mostly.

Does anyone use 1 piece composite on asphalt/concrete? How long would it be expected to last?I was looking at the Bauer x:20 series, which are about the cheapest composites around.

Thanks for any advice.

I use a composite shaft w/a fiberglass blade. The wooden blades broke too often and easily, plus I felt like they ground down too much on the concrete surface. I'd have to go and look to see what brand though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:56 pm 

Fiberglass? I thought blade choices were wood, ABS, composite (aka carbon fiber), or a mixture thereof (such as wood/ABS). I know most wood blades have a fiberglass wrap on them, but wasn't aware of fiberglass blades. I'd be interested to see the brand.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 pm 

Kid had 2 goals & 2 assists the other day. After the game she yelled out "I should have had 2 fights. That would have been a DOUBLE Gordie Howe Hat Trick!"

I on the other hand, damn near killed myself the other day at inline practice. Forgot I was at inline- tried to ice hockey stop.... I don't recommend it. :x Since I have looked up how to do it, and may try again- when wearing some pads.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:19 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
I on the other hand, damn near killed myself the other day at inline practice. Forgot I was at inline- tried to ice hockey stop.... I don't recommend it. :x Since I have looked up how to do it, and may try again- when wearing some pads.

Ouch.

Only the very best skater I ever saw in our league could do what I'd consider a hockey stop on rollerblades. Otherwise it was more or less just doing a VERY sharp turn to slow yourself down. Apologies if I already said this once--me and everyone I knew in our league had some sort of scrapes/scuffs/scars on our arms on account of scraping them along the boards when trying to stop in the corner. Long story short--it can be done, but it ain't pretty. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:25 pm 

Yeah I've seen videos where people do it. But it still doesn't look pretty. Such a shame, because quick stops, starts in opposing direction are such a big part of the game.

I had an idea for a skate add-on that might work. I am concerned about weight though. The old machinist/inventor in me wants to try it anyway.