OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:11 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I grew up skateboarding. Dudes who showed up on Rollerblades were coined "Fruit booters" and subsequently heckled until they left. When I started playing hockey and saw roller hockey, I was inclined to scoff at it, as a similar bastardization/pansification of our beloved ice hockey.

My daughter wants to play inline. The rink is super close, the cost is far less than summer ice hockey, the times are convenient...

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I say go for it. Nobody up here looks down on it. It's just another way to enjoy the game when ice isn't handy.

"Fruit Booter," that's hilarious. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:11 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It depends. I love playing on an outdoor concrete surface. Obviously stopping isn't quite as easy, but since that and maneuvering overall is a little more difficult but puckhandling's about the same, offense and scoring come a lot easier. I played outdoor inline for close to five years and loved every minute of it.

However, I've also played indoor on that crappy plastic laminate surface or whatever it is and hated it. I know you need a different type of wheel, but it simply didn't feel like hockey. The minute some guy told me I shouldn't try and skate backwards to play defense, I knew it wasn't for me. Obviously your kid's just starting out so it might not be a problem.

I'll be sure to never wear my "fruit booters" at the skate park. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:17 am 
OTP Historian

Played plenty of street hockey in roller blades with my brothers growing up. Still have a pair of CCM Tacks but I haven't worn them in years. I wanted to join a roller league in Burlington but never got around to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:50 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

roller hockey = good times. when I lived in LA I played all the time down in the parking lots at Venice Beach and I played at in a beer league in toronto when I lived there for a couple years. I know there are people who think rollerblades are gay or whatever but in California and I think most of Canada people don't see it that way, or don't care. I'm not about to hit a skateboard park on a pair of rollerblades, but if a skateboarder called me a fruit while I was on my way to play inline hockey I'm sure I'd have a pretty good laugh about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:36 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Never played no one does around here but nothing against it and in Southern climates it makes sense.

The silly copperall'ish pants need to go that I see in the team photo's all the time.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:54 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Never played no one does around here but nothing against it and in Southern climates it makes sense.

The silly copperall'ish pants need to go that I see in the team photo's all the time.

No way, ice hockey pants are WAY too expensive to risk scraping on the surface. Those cooperall-ish pants are cheap and easy to replace. You can always tell someone is a veteran of roller hockey from the gigantic holes worn in both knees and scars on both upper arms due to using the boards as an emergency brake.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:17 am 

Hounsy wrote:

I thought the same thing. Reminds me of the early 80's Flyers & Whalers. But from the shinpads I saw on kids, the surface just eats away at regular hockey socks & such. I didn't want to buy the "girdle" & pants for my daughter, but think I will. Ruining her more expensive ice pants would suck. :x Especially since her little sister is showing promise- as an enforcer.

First practice is tonight.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 pm 
He of the red stockings

I think those who view rollerblades as gay (and I've quite a few supposed "man-show" DJ's in this region say as much) are hung up on an
image of skinny Californians in short-shorts sashaying along the boardwalk

To expand on Av's comments above, I disagree strongly that inline hockey is a "pansification" of the sport
I never played in a league, but played plenty of weekend pickup games, no pads, etc...
Asphalt hurts a lot more than ice, especially when you leave a Daytona 500 sized skid mark of your own skin on it

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:41 pm 

I ordered a pair of inline skates. :shock:

Now tomorrow's game is cancelled due to "the threat of rain". I've driven through blizzards to play ice hockey. :?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 am 

Chris18 wrote:

Now tomorrow's game is cancelled due to "the threat of rain". I've driven through blizzards to play ice hockey. :?

Try rollerblading on wet concrete, you'll see why.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:46 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Not a cloud in the sky at game time.

I used to skateboard in the rain. Same eurathane wheels. Actually, I used to run much harder wheels on my board.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:33 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Not a cloud in the sky at game time.

I used to skateboard in the rain. Same eurathane wheels. Actually, I used to run much harder wheels on my board.

I'll agree they shouldn't have to cancel on the "threat" of rain. Fuck that shit....my rink never canceled unless it absolutely HAD to, meaning it had to be pouring. Even after a rain we would squeegee/blowtorch the surface dry to play.

And not to be technical, but...skateboards and old school roller skates use urethane wheels but rollerblades are usually rubber. Trust me, they don't work worth a crap on a wet smooth surface. We would play sometimes just when it would start to rain/snow until people lost all traction.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 am 

Av-merican wrote:
I'll agree they shouldn't have to cancel on the "threat" of rain. Fuck that shit....my rink never canceled unless it absolutely HAD to, meaning it had to be pouring. Even after a rain we would squeegee/blowtorch the surface dry to play.

And not to be technical, but...skateboards and old school roller skates use urethane wheels but rollerblades are usually rubber. Trust me, they don't work worth a crap on a wet smooth surface. We would play sometimes just when it would start to rain/snow until people lost all traction.

Are you sure inline wheels are rubber, not eurathane? Kryptonics makes most of the inline & skateboard wheels on the markets, and they made a very big deal to me when I was trying to start a skateboard company that they strictly used eurathane. That was about 15 years ago though, now that I think about it. Damn I'm getting old. :x

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:48 am 

Honestly I've never seen urethane wheels for rollerblades, but Google says they exist. I don't see how in hell you can get a bearing inside them when changing them out, but who knows? Rubber wheels are the way to go, they actually grip the surface well (except when said surface is wet) and you can actually kinda/sorta stop on them.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:35 am 

I don't know Av- when I google "are inline skates rubber or urathane?" I only see urathane & polyurathane.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:41 am 

My bad--they actually are different variations of polyurethane, I should have said I never saw inline skates with the hard wheels you see on roller skates or a skateboard. Again, I don't see how in hell you could ever pop a bearing inside them when changing them out, and the soft polyurethane I'm betting behaves differently on a wet surface than the type seen on skateboards.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 am 

Av-merican wrote:
My bad--they actually are different variations of polyurethane, I should have said I never saw inline skates with the hard wheels you see on roller skates or a skateboard. Again, I don't see how in hell you could ever pop a bearing inside them when changing them out, and the soft polyurethane I'm betting behaves differently on a wet surface than the type seen on skateboards.

The biggest problem is the fact that you're putting force in different, almost opposite directions with skates, whereas with a board, you're going in one direction.

I've used many different tricks over the years to get skateboard wheels bearinged (that's now a word, now that I've used it here). Use the trucks as a press, use an actual arbor press, hammer, ratchet handle, screwdriver... I guess none of these really work on fruit boots. Shame. I was just looking through inline wheels. I was outraged at the wheel prices, then realized you don't need to spend to sharpen the skates :lol:

Just got my skates today. Missions. I'm disgusted by how soft the wheels are. 78a. EW! it's like skating on oranges. I need some 84a wheels, at least. That's the hardest I see. I used to run 98a all the time on my boards. Never less than 97a. Had some Alva Rocks once - 104a. Good shit there. Super fast.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:04 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

The biggest problem is the fact that you're putting force in different, almost opposite directions with skates, whereas with a board, you're going in one direction.

I've used many different tricks over the years to get skateboard wheels bearinged (that's now a word, now that I've used it here). Use the trucks as a press, use an actual arbor press, hammer, ratchet handle, screwdriver... I guess none of these really work on fruit boots. Shame. I was just looking through inline wheels. I was outraged at the wheel prices, then realized you don't need to spend to sharpen the skates :lol:

Just got my skates today. Missions. I'm disgusted by how soft the wheels are. 78a. EW! it's like skating on oranges. I need some 84a wheels, at least. That's the hardest I see. I used to run 98a all the time on my boards. Never less than 97a. Had some Alva Rocks once - 104a. Good shit there. Super fast.

I can't remember how hard my wheels are. I think I got them pretty hard because I was skating on streets all the time and that eats away at soft wheels. My bro used to say that when you're playing on a really smooth surface like concrete in a rink or sport court, you want them soft.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:51 pm 
He of the red stockings

LOL ... just dug out my blades from under a pile in the basement to check out the wheels

they are 82a, and what's left of the label claims they are "Outdoor Hockey"

and as I expected, they are worn at an angle on the inside :x