OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I don't know if it's possible, or how expensive it would be, but here's my idea: Build a backyard rink that is usable close to 12 months of the year. I want to pour 4-6" of concrete as the base, paint it white with red/blue lines, circles, etc... Flood it to freeze in the winter, and keep it clear for inline in warm weather. Possible? Not sure what to make the boards out of. The pre-fab ones I have found online are expensive, but plywood would rot or break with shots. Basically, I'm looking to keep my kids around our house all the time...
I would put a few drain pipes in the surface, placed in the goals or very close to the boards so inline wheels wouldn't wipe out on them.

I am thinking about 50' x 30' or something like that.

#1 obstacle I foresee- convincing my wife! Besides that, does it sound feasible? Seems pretty basic to me, but maybe I'm overlooking major obstacles. Thanks for any ideas/help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:47 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

i don't see why the wife would be upset, that is an awesome awesome idea.

You'll probably have to do it in 2 stages, an actual foundation, then build up another couple inches and use that quick drying really wet self leveling concrete on the top to give it that shiny concrete look. coat the concrete with some water sealant, and bobs your uncle. you'll probably want to seal it every summer though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:44 am 
King of the One-Liner

We play ball hockey on the ice rink in summer here as it is just a big smooth finished concrete pad.

What's a 1500 square foot pad cost around there? I'd see what kind of usage a backyard rink gets you before spending thousands on something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 pm 

Hounsy- not sure on the cost. I just wanted to see if anybody instantly pointed out why it would be unrealistic to do. I have a neighbor with a Kubota, concrete mixer & a heart of gold. So the construction cost wouldn't be too bad. Materials, and upkeep are my concerns.

Bumpy- really think it'd have to be sealed every summer? I'm not too experienced with concrete. I figured my house foundation is underground.... I guess the wheels would wear off any finish though. :x I am thinking pool paint. Usually stays wet year round, and held up pretty well under skateboard wheels when I used to pool hop. I mean uh, when those awful derelicts used to pool hop!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:19 pm 

true it doesn't, but your not exactly rollerblading over it everyday either, so if its a little rough around the edges, doesn't matter.

To keep it nice, cause once water gets in there, it'll crack after every winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I've in a past life worked in concrete and did some smooth finish jobs for commercial freezer floors and it was still one pour you just worked it with a helicopter trowel machine till it was firmly set.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:28 pm 

Good advice, thanks to you both.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 pm 
He of the red stockings

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be feasible
You might want to slightly slope it towards the goals (love the idea of drains inside the net area) so the rain
would naturally run off with minimal squeegeeing

Of course, you'd want to cap the drains in winter ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:03 am 

i was thinking drains, but those would be a pain to maintain in the winter. if you want easy water draining, just make the rink slope either from the middle out, or to one side, or half way out from the middle. would have to be diligent in cleaning it though come the winter, sealing everything before it freezes.

if you need help with cement shoes, i gotta great recipe for that as well!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:34 am 
King of the One-Liner

Local ball hockey rinks use an asphalt under pad with rubber mesh mat for a playing surface and they just slope out to the sides. As a representative for crappy goalies everywhere I just can not condone the idea of a slope into the net.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 pm 

My problem with just sloping the surface is that means a few hundred gallons of water heading toward my basement. If I run PVC- with the surface drains in the goals & the exit having a hose attachment, I can bring the water downhill past the house and avoid being able to swim in my basement. I would get plugs for when flooding, or it would't flood, would it?

Hounsy- I agree, sloping toward goals is cruel.

Bumpy- I'm 1/4 Italian. I'ma good witta da cement shoes recipe. Capice? But thanks anyway.

Now the #1 problem- my wife doesn't like the idea! She thinks we have enough stuff in the yard already. I agree, but this would be cool darn it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 am 

Looked into the slab pricing. :shock: $3k for asphalt, $4k for concrete.

So, next fall I'll be busting out the 2x4s and white tarp for a winter rink. With the 60+ inches of snow we've gotten so far this winter, I'm kind of glad I don't have a rink yet. A friend who has one says all he does is clear it off and get it skateable- just before the next snowfall.

So I'm going to look into building a pavillion.... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 am 

No concrete or asphalt. White tarp & brackets are on their way though!

22x28 for this year. And I'll probably make it bigger every year. I've been told no matter how careful you are the tarps rip/crack/shatter... Found a few online places that sell white tarps pretty cheap. But for this year I bought a starter kit from www.nicerink.com. I'll post my review after having it for a bit.

It's mainly to get the kids & my wife skating more. :mulletbutch:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:30 am 
King of the One-Liner

Buddy of mine builds a huge rink every year and he gets big solid plastic sheets from a greenhouse supply company as they carry them for greenhouse roofs. But only get one season of use.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:56 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Buddy of mine builds a huge rink every year and he gets big solid plastic sheets from a greenhouse supply company as they carry them for greenhouse roofs. But only get one season of use.

Just looked up white greenhouse plastic. The prices vary compared to tarps. there are less size choices, but to give you an idea:

A white tarp 30x40 runs $180 (US) plus shipping.
White greenhouse plastic 42x55 runs $290. More sq footage, and less size choices, but seems cheaper per sq ft. Although taking a closer look, prices really jump all over.
I could get 2 years' worth of plastic out of a 36x55 (going sideways & trimmed perfectly) for $250. That may be an option, although I also wanted to expand the rink every year.

Thanks for the tip! I will keep this in mind & make a cost optimizing spreadsheet before planning next year's rink size.

I figure I'll keep this year's white tarp even though it'll probably be trashed. I'll string it up to shade/cover the rink next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:21 am 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Just looked up white greenhouse plastic. The prices vary compared to tarps. there are less size choices, but to give you an idea:

A white tarp 30x40 runs $180 (US) plus shipping.
White greenhouse plastic 42x55 runs $290. More sq footage, and less size choices, but seems cheaper per sq ft. Although taking a closer look, prices really jump all over.
I could get 2 years' worth of plastic out of a 36x55 (going sideways & trimmed perfectly) for $250. That may be an option, although I also wanted to expand the rink every year.

Thanks for the tip! I will keep this in mind & make a cost optimizing spreadsheet before planning next year's rink size.

I figure I'll keep this year's white tarp even though it'll probably be trashed. I'll string it up to shade/cover the rink next year.

The reason he goes this root is he has a leveled area he uses and puts up a six or eight inch frame then it just holds the water for the rink like a pool and he doesn't have to rebuild it up after every thaw.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:13 pm 

I get the idea. Same basic idea I'm doing too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:07 pm 

The liner I got appears to be exactly the same as the greenhouse plastic.

Brackets are a bit of a pain in the ass. Sets up pretty quickly, but I think 2x12s screwed together would be easier, more stable & easier to adjust for height differences.

Rink is flooding now. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Sounds good Chris, my frame is up but no freeze expected for the next week so leaving the liner out. Just for my four year old to learn on so only a 12 x 20 foot pad this year.

Managed to send one of my 2x8x8 spruce lumber pieces through the windshield of my Wife's car, so this rink has a $600 dollar expense added to it right off the bat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 am 

I started flooding- then saw the weather report that says it won't be below freezing for at least 3 days. Nice. To avoid this becoming a bird bath or squirrel retreat, I put out 2 plastic owls. Hopefully they deter the little clawed fuckers. Also jabbed rebar into the ground & wrapped the perimeter with surveyor's tape so the deer don't try to dip their hooves & ruin the liner. Frigging nature.

Come on cold weather!