OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:07 pm 
He of the red stockings

Hounsy wrote:
My new gloves showed up. If my gear looks like it did when I was a teenager will I feel younger? hope so.

Gilles Gilbert lives!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:08 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:
That's good. I thought you were too late.

Unrelated but neat: Found a nice Sherwood composite stick in the garbage can at the rink. Broken blade. Silly kids don't realize that for $15-25 they can put a relacement blade on. I got me a nice back up stick. Thanks kid!

Was it a 5030? That's the one I'm using ..

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:18 pm 
OTP Historian

From another Beer Hockey thread:

Hounsy wrote:
Got a decent deal on some Graf 650 elite. $299.00

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/graf-goalie ... 50-sr.html

They are baked, shaped, and sharpened. Tomorrow will see if the blisters come.

Hounsy, how are those skates? My brother bought a pair of Grafs and has said he wouldn't buy another brand of skates again.

I'm going to go check out some Graf player skates at Pro Hockey Life soon. I normally just buy a pair up to $250 that I find fits my feet really well, because I have a hell of a time finding skates that fit. Everyone I've talked to who owns Grafs absolutely loves them, and I might be willing to drop some coin($400) on Grafs if it means I have a great fitting skate that will last me a really long time. I'm not actively looking for skates but they've got some on sale and if I find the right pair that fits...

Anyone on here own any Graf player skates?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:21 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:

Hounsy wrote:

Hounsy, how are those skates? My brother bought a pair of Grafs and has said he wouldn't buy another brand of skates again.

I'm going to go check out some Graf player skates at Pro Hockey Life soon. I normally just buy a pair up to $250 that I find fits my feet really well, because I have a hell of a time finding skates that fit. Everyone I've talked to who owns Grafs absolutely loves them, and I might be willing to drop some coin($400) on Grafs if it means I have a great fitting skate that will last me a really long time. I'm not actively looking for skates but they've got some on sale and if I find the right pair that fits...

I've had a pair of Grafs for like 13 years now. Love them! I have wide feet & they were the only wide skates i could find back then. They're still in great condition, but not as light as today's skates. But yeah, I highly recommend them if you can afford them. I got them on a hell of a discount or I'd have never dropped that much on them. Store was closing so I got $400 skates for $220. Certainly paid for themselves by now.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Hounsy wrote:

I've had a pair of Grafs for like 13 years now. Love them! I have wide feet & they were the only wide skates i could find back then. They're still in great condition, but not as light as today's skates. But yeah, I highly recommend them if you can afford them. I got them on a hell of a discount or I'd have never dropped that much on them. Store was closing so I got $400 skates for $220. Certainly paid for themselves by now.

These are the ones I'm going to take a look at, and I have no clue how they'll fit:

http://www.prohockeylife.com/hockey-ska ... tes-p-3213

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Damn, no more G5 or G7s left in my size.

Reebok 9k's are on for $400 ($650 regular price) and they fit really well so that's an option...not sure if I'll but them though.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:39 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Reebok 9k's are on for $400 ($650 regular price) and they fit really well so that's an option...not sure if I'll but them though.

Bummer.
I have no experience with Reebok stuff. I was certainly never a fan of their 80s sneakers. :lol: I just can't help think of the Guido-look whenever I see Reebok.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Bummer.
I have no experience with Reebok stuff. I was certainly never a fan of their 80s sneakers. :lol: I just can't help think of the Guido-look whenever I see Reebok.

I've got a pair of Reebok player skates right now. The first pair I got had a hole so the pump didn't work. The second pair, the achilles guard started coming apart at the seam a year or two after I got them. I was kind of disappointed but they cost $225 and I love how they feel. I think the quality of this skate will be much better for the $650 skates than the $225 skates from like 4 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 am 

I just remember a few friends who worked in sneaker retail saying that Reeboks were always the worst constructed sneakers. Difficult for me to take the plunge on buying anything of theirs to prove otherwise.

But, as all these big sports firms buy up the little guys, I'm sure I'll eventually have no choice.

Affiliations/ownerships I'm reasonably certain of:
Nike/Bauer/Itech/Mission
Reebok/CCM/Jofa/Koho
New Balance/Warrior/Montreal
Easton- didn't buy an existing hockey company, but bought Bell Bicycle, Riddell (made football/baseball stuff) and Giro (also bike stuff).

Am I missing any big firms in the hockey industry now?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I just remember a few friends who worked in sneaker retail saying that Reeboks were always the worst constructed sneakers. Difficult for me to take the plunge on buying anything of theirs to prove otherwise.

But, as all these big sports firms buy up the little guys, I'm sure I'll eventually have no choice.

Affiliations/ownerships I'm reasonably certain of:
Nike/Bauer/Itech/Mission
Reebok/CCM/Jofa/Koho
New Balance/Warrior/Montreal
Easton- didn't buy an existing hockey company, but bought Bell Bicycle, Riddell (made football/baseball stuff) and Giro (also bike stuff).

Am I missing any big firms in the hockey industry now?

As far as I know Vaughn and Brians are still on their own, but they're only in goalie gear. Graf I guess are on their own too.

Sher-Wood? They on their own?

I didn't know New Balance owned Warrior and Montreal. I haven't bought a pair of non-New Balance running shoes in over 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:21 am 

I was trying to see if anyone bought Tackla, and stuff popped up about Montreal having distributed Tackla in the US, which discussed Montreal being bought by Warrior, which is owned by NB. I never knew any of that stuff. I always thought Warrior was pretty small.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The guy that made all the Smith goal gear I used to buy now designs and works for the goalie department for Warrior. Oddly enough a simple change of branding of his Smith 6000 model to warrior Ritual suddenly made it cost 30-40% more. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 am 

Hounsy wrote:
The guy that made all the Smith goal gear I used to buy now designs and works for the goalie department for Warrior. Oddly enough a simple change of branding of his Smith 6000 model to warrior Ritual suddenly made it cost 30-40% more. :(

That's the problem with less suppliers. They can basically make up prices, and we'll have to pay. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:19 pm 
OTP Historian

Reebok has a fucked up naming convention on their skates...

The 9k model from 2 years ago is now basically the 18k model. The current 9k model is equivalent to the previous 4k model...

Annoying and there isn't a resource online to figure it out. I talked to someone on the phone who was helpful, but he says that they basically have catalogues and he didn't have something that he could send to me to make sense of it all...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:26 pm 

Bosc wrote:

The 9k model from 2 years ago is now basically the 18k model. The current 9k model is equivalent to the previous 4k model...

Annoying and there isn't a resource online to figure it out. I talked to someone on the phone who was helpful, but he says that they basically have catalogues and he didn't have something that he could send to me to make sense of it all...

Weird. Usually you drop the numbers of older models as new stuff comes out.Like last years X40 is this year's X20, since the new X40 should be an improvement over last year's.

I guess they go with the golfing scale- lower number is better. ???

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Weird. Usually you drop the numbers of older models as new stuff comes out.Like last years X40 is this year's X20, since the new X40 should be an improvement over last year's.

No idea...their top model is the 20k so it's not like the lower number is better for the new stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

No idea...their top model is the 20k so it's not like the lower number is better for the new stuff.

There is no better explanation than they're assholes.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am 
OTP Historian

Okay...I think I found my skates. I tried these guys on yesterday and they felt great, a little tight low on my ankle but it was padding and wasn't digging into my ankle. I can get them baked too.

http://www.prohockeylife.com/hockey-ska ... tes-p-3080

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/graf-hockey ... ix-sr.html

Found a Source For Sports in Oakville who has them on sale for $350. They only had one size and then the guy found my exact size and width when he was looking for a different skate :D

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:57 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I wear Grafs in net and the boot is really Comfy compared to most brands which for me and my princess on ice attitude is number one on the list of needs.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I wear Grafs in net and the boot is really Comfy compared to most brands which for me and my princess on ice attitude is number one on the list of needs.

:lol:

My older bro bought Graf goalie skates and loves them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next