OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Took a little bit, but the new skates are finally broken in.

Tried keeping the laces a little looser like the pros do though, no dice. They must have REALLY strong ankles in order to do what they do.

You think NHLers might be stronger than you? Is that possible?

:laugh:

Aw, shove it, Mini-Me! :doom:

I still can't imagine have a 200-pound-plus frame and doing sharp turns on skates that aren't tight around my ankles, especially at some of the speeds these guys reach.

Ridiculous how bad one gets at stopping after being off skates for so long. I'm back to being hesitant stopping on my left side like I was when I was six. :x

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:53 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy, do you use the toe ties? Have you tried going without them?

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/hockey ... -ties.html

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 am 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy, do you use the toe ties? Have you tried going without them?

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/hockey ... -ties.html

Read that a while ago and due to how much slack I like in all the lower straps I tie off with an inch of slack on the toe and that supports the pad from sagging to far when upright. As well I hate taking hard shots of the top of the skate toe so that one inch gap is all I am willing to risk.

It really amazes me that no industry standard quick snap has been arrived on to mate the skate and pad toe. Made my own system a few years back with a heavy duty fishing snap swivel and a cable tie that worked great for me...maybe I should go back to trying that when I got a sliding toe bridge with the first Smiths I never bothered but I do hate the time I waste with toe ties.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Whoa...first I've heard of these T-Blade thingamajigs. What the hell are they and why would anyone use something so ugly-looking?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
Whoa...first I've heard of these T-Blade thingamajigs. What the hell are they and why would anyone use something so ugly-looking?

They look like enlarged brass knuckles. Fugly.

In other news, I bought some kevlar skate socks after seeing a few too many gruesome photos in the last year. Best use of them so far? Removing a mirror from my bathroom renovation! Mirror had two very rough (aka, fucking sharp) holes cut for wall sconces, which were the only way to pick said mirror up for removal. I put my socks on like thumbless mittens & removed mirror... Worked pretty well- one very small hole cut in it. They don't claim the socks are cut-proof, just cut resistant. I'd say the worked really well. I decided to test the glass sharpness after seeing the hole in the sock. Pulled a tree branch along it- shaved it clean through. I put an old bike brake cable through the hole and picked up the mirror. Cut through the casing & halfway through the steel cable in just a few seconds with the mirror's weight on it! Couldn't imagine what that would have done to my hand if I hadn't had the socks on.

So yeah, I'm sold on them. For $30 it's good insurance.

Edit- Emailed Bauer, who will send me a new pair after they receive a pic of the hole. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:21 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brians-Zero-G-Ho ... 53fc8697dd

Nice. Too much money than what I'm looking to spend though. I like the colours but I'm hoping to find solid red with white secondary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:23 pm 

Bosc wrote:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brians-Zero-G-Hockey-Goalie-Blocker-Catcher-Black-Red-/360718964701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item53fc8697dd

Nice. Too much money than what I'm looking to spend though. I like the colours but I'm hoping to find solid red with white secondary.

Rick DiPietro probably has a bunch of pads for sale. Safety orange, pink, pink camo, orange white & blue, blue, white & orange, white, orange & blue..........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 am 
OTP Historian

Went and tried on a bunch of gloves at Pro Hockey Life. I really liked the feel of the Bauer R4000 glove. Blockers are pretty much blockers. They actually had White Red and Silver, which would match my pads. The R4000 aren't pro level stuff, but fucked if I'm going to spend $500 on a trapper. I didn't like how the RBK gloves felt anyways and the Vaughn V5 felt like a disaster on my hand.

Man I wish I could sell these Pro Hockey Life gift certs and get cash for them. Or I could go with the just the blocker from PHL and find a glove somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 am 
King of the One-Liner

I'd go Simmons over Sr level big guys gear.

Or troll ebay for something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I'd go Simmons over Sr level big guys gear.

Or troll ebay for something.

I was thinking Simmons again as well(that might be better for colour options), and I've been checking on Ebay too. Maybe I just use the $200 PHL certs on a twig and some player pants or something.

I don't really need new gloves, these ones have some clear wear on them and given that I'm not full time in net during the winter I can still get some good use out of them, but I have the gift certs...

Have you looked at any of Pete Smith's Warrior gear?

Here's my pads when they were pretty much new:

Old gloves(when they were brand new, bought them before the pads):

So for colours, most stuff is primary white. I've seen white/red, and white/silver/red. W/S/R would match my pads perfectly. I do think I want to get primary red if I can, and then I can go with white, silver, or white/silver accents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am 
King of the One-Liner

The Ritual pads where his Smith 6000 design but the gloves where not Pete's design and don't believe they have released any new lines since Ritual.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:06 am 
OTP Historian

Hmm, might have to make a trip to Georgetown on Saturday...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Reebok-Larc ... 0695251438

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:19 pm 
OTP Historian

I just sent this to my brother who was a huge Potvin fan:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z467004037

His reply:

Quote:
Guranteed that catcher does not have a wrist strap as it needs to be removed quickly to beat the shit out of other goalies, that is the "Felix mod".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Quote:
Guranteed that catcher does not have a wrist strap as it needs to be removed quickly to beat the shit out of other goalies, that is the "Felix mod".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:

So Larceny gloves it is. I liked how the glove sat on my palm and its not too stiff for a new glove.

I emailed Perani's in the states to see what kind of price they can go on the Larceny gloves in Red and White colours and they said $475 with free US shipping. Unfortunately if they can't ship to Canada for free, its gonna cost me like $200 more after shipping/taxes/duty for the Red and White ones and I don't think I'm prepared to fork over that much extra dough. I sent them an email asking if they can go lower on the price and ship for free to Canada. We'll see. I may email individual stores to see what prices they've got since their prices are not always the same.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Bosc wrote:

So Larceny gloves it is. I liked how the glove sat on my palm and its not too stiff for a new glove.

I emailed Perani's in the states to see what kind of price they can go on the Larceny gloves in Red and White colours and they said $475 with free US shipping. Unfortunately if they can't ship to Canada for free, its gonna cost me like $200 more after shipping/taxes/duty for the Red and White ones and I don't think I'm prepared to fork over that much extra dough. I sent them an email asking if they can go lower on the price and ship for free to Canada. We'll see. I may email individual stores to see what prices they've got since their prices are not always the same.

Well, they can't ship to Canada for free, they said it'll cost 40-50 bucks and I'm not even sure if that includes duties and taxes(probably not). They have 1 set of Detroit colours at one store in Sterling Heights, but there's no guarantee that they'll be available in a month. $500 at the store. I've got a sales rep from Peranis down to $450 for the pair with free US shipping, so I might have to see about shipping them to Skip if I really want the Detroit colours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Do not do it if they use anything other than USPS to ship. Shipping companies will automatically tack on a bunch of added brokerage fees.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:28 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Do not do it if they use anything other than USPS to ship. Shipping companies will automatically tack on a bunch of added brokerage fees.

Yeah I know that UPS does that. There's no way I'm paying to get it shipped to Canada. I'm not willing to spend an extra $200 bucks just to get the gloves without the black.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:21 pm 

Not really sure where this goes, so here it is:

http://us.thegoallight.com/store/#!/~/product/category=6685209&id=27717689

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:34 pm 

I've got a helmet that is 5 years old now that I only wear for coaching. (No facemask, unlike the one I play games in). The foam seems to have hardened. It's a cheap Mission helmet, with the closed cell foam. I've never seen foam like that harden before. I have read recently that helmets last 5-6 years, then should be replaced. Is this why? I thought it was just a ploy by manufacturers to part us & our money. But this thing was comfy in the past & is now giving me a ripping headache within 30 minutes.

Any ideas on how to soften it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next