OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Might also check hockey stores, some of them might have specific tools you can buy and you can check those companies.

I've been looking around since coming up with the idea. Main things out there are those triangular screwdriver things, with a small flat head, philips head, and a large flat head. Those are pretty useless unless you've got two. You can't hold or turn the helmet nut & screw at the same time. That's why I wanted the tool to be in 2 parts, with the flat heads & philips head on a separate part from the flat head with screw slot in it. There are some bike tools like that. I also came up with the idea of a sort of "build your own" leatherman- They sell the basic frame with pliers pre-attached, and you choose what to put in it: knife, scissors, screwdriver types, etc. I've got things in my various multi-tools that I don't use. I carry 2 sometimes- because one has scissors but not pliers, and vice-versa.

this is the sort of stuff I do when procrastinating studying for a final & writing a final paper. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:43 pm 

Received emails from Leatherman saying they're looking into the idea (hope I would at least get a free prototype), but no guarantees.

Bike tool company I used to work with loved the idea & agree there's a market, but don't feel they have the manpower/funds to enter the hockey market. Bummer.

So my next brilliant idea: What would the ultimate family hockey vehicle have? Neighbors have had a suburban rotting in their front yard going on 5 years now. Flat tires, rusting chrome bumpers, etc. Hasn't moved since I've seen it. Older daughter wants me to offer them $50 & sort of Pimp My Ride it, although she didn't use that phrase. So I'm wondering what a complete hockey family vehicle should have. My list so far:

Plenty of space obviously. Should fit at least 4 bags & 5 people (parent to drive) comfortably.
Roof box for sticks (I hate that rattling sound when driving). Not necessary, but it could buy buy some room inside, and would certainly be safer as players grow & their sticks invariably wind up extending into seating area.
4x4 with snow tires.
Tinted windows so the kids can sleep on way to/from games. And change while driving if you're running late. :lol:
Not likely to happen, but a diesel engine would be great for mileage. Like to convert to run on waste oil! But that's even less likely.
DVD player in back, that only shows movies like Miracle, Mighty Ducks 1, Mystery, Alaska...
Mini-fridge & microwave? that would totally kick ass!
Rubberized lining instead of carpet- kids spill all kinds of stuff.
Better than normal seats sleeping arrangement. Somehow... Custom fold-out seats of some sort. All the seats should be heated (which is actually fairly easy to do. Lots of add-on aftermarket seat heaters out there).
Fog lights on the grill guard. Fogs work great for driving in snow. Grill guard for when even the fog lights don't help you see that obstruction...
Remote starter. Essential for early morning practices.
Lots of air fresheners! :lol:
Shouldn't be painted. Should have spray-on bed liner finish on the whole thing! It's going to be driven on snowy/salty roads mostly. Maybe the team logo on the hood. That would be cool.

This is all a dream, keep in mind. In case I ever win the lottery or find a modern Pimp My Ride type of show.

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Got $175 for my old set of gloves. I was hoping to get $150 but got the full price on kijiji. The guy who bought them was using the next year model from the same Simmons line but he said his were super worn out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:12 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Got $175 for my old set of gloves. I was hoping to get $150 but got the full price on kijiji. The guy who bought them was using the next year model from the same Simmons line but he said his were super worn out.

Nicely done. $25 will almost get you a 1/2 tank of gas in today's world. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Nicely done. $25 will almost get you a 1/2 tank of gas in today's world. :lol:

Yeah, and he was over an hour drive away as well but met me in my town. I'm not sure if he was already out this way but that was good too.

And damn being a growup. I said to my wife "That money will almost pay for the tapers to come back to fix the drywall around the cracks".

Used the new gloves today. Like them a lot. One thing is that when I bend my hand with my glove, the back of it kind of restricts my hand from bending back as far as I normally would. I loosened it up but I may have to adjust my glove positioning a bit. The blocker is tight on my hand so I may have to change to my glove hand for drinking water.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:12 am 

How cool is this? http://www.iamhwki.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:02 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Nice song choice for a promotional video? Something in there about girl's ass and smoking weed...professional.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Nice song choice for a promotional video? Something in there about girl's ass and smoking weed...professional.

:shock: I didn't watch the video and generally keep the sound off. Good point though. Glad I didn't send the link to the whole kid's team!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

:shock: I didn't watch the video and generally keep the sound off. Good point though. Glad I didn't send the link to the whole kid's team!

Not sure for kids these days that is all that shocking. More so was an indication that if the company pays this kinda attention to the details of their promotional work how can I trust the quality of a product they have produced is not getting the same kinda oversights.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

:lol: I just replayed it and the version in the background has now had some bleeping out done. Guess I was not the only one to notice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Not sure for kids these days that is all that shocking. More so was an indication that if the company pays this kinda attention to the details of their promotional work how can I trust the quality of a product they have produced is not getting the same kinda oversights.

Well the emails would go to the parents, not the kids. Then again, some of them probably still enjoy the ganja.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:39 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy, were you on the old goalie store forums? Talking with my brother tonight and he mentioned it, and I mentioned your name(he thought it sounded familiar) because I'm pretty sure I recall you were on there, or another one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah was on the goaliestore.com forum it used to be a rather large community. Was peaking around last month when I bought new skates and researching the impending chesty change.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:06 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Ordered my new C/A today. Custom build so not sure yet how long it will take few weeks anyway if not more i suspect. Funny enough I contacted Brown yesterday to inquire about what i was looking for and last night as I go to suit up for playing notice one of my shoulder pieces had blown out some stitching and is not going to last much longer anyway so finalized the sale today to get the process moving.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:56 pm 

If either of you guys are getting custom made leg pads at any time, ever, can you please promise me you'll ask to have dog squeaky toys inserted in them?

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Squea ... oy+inserts

How cool would that be?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Thought about putting this in the History of Hockey. Kenesky Sports in Hamilton is closing. Emil Kenesky is the dude responsible for the goalie pad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:37 pm 
King of the One-Liner

"the only time it hurts with a Brown chest and arm is when you pay for it initially!! lol"

Direct quote from Brown on their Facebook page. Appreciate the honesty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:20 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
"the only time it hurts with a Brown chest and arm is when you pay for it initially!! lol"

Direct quote from Brown on their Facebook page. Appreciate the honesty.

:lol: That's great.

So I ordered some new Easton sticks since some fuck broke one of mine. The online store had a good sale, but the day they were supposed to ship the store called me to say they were out and tried to find comparable ones. They only had Bauers in grip, which I can't stand (I know most people love grip, I also drive stick. I'm weird). So he said he had some Reebok sticks. I blurted that I hate Reeboks, since they suck and break like matchsticks. The guy laughed and agreed, adding that he was sorry he had to suggest them. :lol: So I wound up with a store brand. They still haven't arrived, so I have no idea of the quality, but I was in manufacturing long enough to know that most store brands are the same as brand names, as only so many places in the world make things like composite hockey sticks. Just hopefully they aren't a Bauer model from like 1999. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The chesty has not arrived yet but the builder put some pictures on facebook. Looks exactly like I was expecting. The elbow blocks might need breaking in but otherwise should be good to go out of the box.

https://www.facebook.com/BrownHockey/ph ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hey Craig you need to look into this

https://www.nhl.com/news/andrei-vasilev ... =281396148

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next