OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Do not do it if they use anything other than USPS to ship. Shipping companies will automatically tack on a bunch of added brokerage fees.

The price on the gloves went down to $376 for the pair and the rep said that they can't go lower than that on the price. They ship with USPS so no ripoff UPS fees. Estimate of $50 for shipping+duties+taxes looks to make the final cost around $480. The pair I've found here would be $400 after taxes. I think I'm willing to pay the extra 80 bucks.

Though the black gloves would hide the lack of puck marks whereas the white exposes that.

ImageImage

vs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I think no black would closer match your pads...but eye of the beholder and all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I think no black would closer match your pads...but eye of the beholder and all.

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I hate shooting on goalies who wear white- can't see where the pads are as easily. Colored pads are easy to pick out & avoid. DiPietro & Fleury are both suspect at times, but both had their career worst years when using bright orange & yellow pads respectively. I know you're not using bright colors, but figured I'd throw this out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Depends. Many beer leaguers don't look or have no idea where the puck is going anyway. Flip side is for some really good shooters I try to give them something to shoot at and take it away so I want them to get a good look.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy are your gloves the more recent NHL spec?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Not sure. They where Spec when I bought them which I think is three years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Not sure. They where Spec when I bought them which I think is three years ago.

Ahh, ok. Definitely more recent than mine. I think I bought mine in 06 and they were made before the NHL changed the sizing rules.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Simmons doesn't have any solid red in stock and the custom stuff is still expensive even if its on sale. No solid red with white accents :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/Classi ... ker&cat=25

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
http://www.goaliestore.com/board/Classifieds/showproduct.php?product=15368&title=vaughn-custom-5500-glove-and-v4-blocker&cat=25

Thanks. I think I like the Larceny in Red and White better than those though. Plus the V5 felt like a disaster on my hand so I don't think I'd go for the V4.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Depends. Many beer leaguers don't look or have no idea where the puck is going anyway. Flip side is for some really good shooters I try to give them something to shoot at and take it away so I want them to get a good look.

Good point.
And that's just mean of you to tease shooters with a spot you take away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Good point.

Would your worst nightmare be a goalie wearing red gear?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:27 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Good point.

Also works both ways as the only time I will show visible frustration on the ice is when I get someone to shoot where I want and it still goes in. :argh:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:10 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Good point.

Would your worst nightmare be a goalie wearing red gear?

Not at all. I find all, or mostly white pads the most difficult to shoot against.
Although it just occurred to me that white leg pads with a 3" vertical red stripe in the middle might really fuck with shooters. Especially me. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 pm 
OTP Historian

Putting in the order for the red and white ones.

Soooo....anyone want to buy a used set of goalie gloves?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:48 am 

While performing an incredible feat of procrastination tonight, I looked into what hockey multi-tools are available. They all suck. So I emailed Leatherman some ideas for a hockey tool. I included:
-Knife blade (cutting laces, tape, etc)
-Small scissors (cutting the tape around the stick blade. Many sticks these days run $100-200, so nobody wants to use a knife blade on them, but some people like to fully tape their blade, but don't want the tape bunched up)
-Philips screwdriver (helmet bolts)
-Flathead screwdriver (helmet bolts)
-Flathead screwdriver with screw-width notch out of blade center (lots of the factory installed bolts are longer than necessary and stick through their female counterpart, making it very difficult to use a normal flathead screwdriver to remove the bolt. Bolts are typically 10-32. I used a Dremel to cut a section out of a standard flathead for this purpose, and I can't tell you how many people have borrowed it over the years.) This tool would have to be separable from the standard flathead and philips screwdrivers, as they are used on opposite sides of the helmet.
-I don't know how possible it would be, but a small sharpening stone to remove the burrs from skate edges would be incredibly handy.
-It "could" put a skatekey, but very few self-respecting players over 9 years old actually use them. They are just a basic hook for pulling the skate laces tighter.
-It could also have 2 4 mm allen wrenches for use on inline skate wheels. If that is done, a tool for removing the bearings would be great. Bearings have a 3/8" axle.

Did I miss anything? AH CRAP! Bottle opener!!! Not important to me, but I assume 99% of hockey playing adults would find that very useful. Damn.
So, anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
While performing an incredible feat of procrastination tonight, I looked into what hockey multi-tools are available. They all suck. So I emailed Leatherman some ideas for a hockey tool. I included:
-Knife blade (cutting laces, tape, etc)
-Small scissors (cutting the tape around the stick blade. Many sticks these days run $100-200, so nobody wants to use a knife blade on them, but some people like to fully tape their blade, but don't want the tape bunched up)
-Philips screwdriver (helmet bolts)
-Flathead screwdriver (helmet bolts)
-Flathead screwdriver with screw-width notch out of blade center (lots of the factory installed bolts are longer than necessary and stick through their female counterpart, making it very difficult to use a normal flathead screwdriver to remove the bolt. Bolts are typically 10-32. I used a Dremel to cut a section out of a standard flathead for this purpose, and I can't tell you how many people have borrowed it over the years.) This tool would have to be separable from the standard flathead and philips screwdrivers, as they are used on opposite sides of the helmet.
-I don't know how possible it would be, but a small sharpening stone to remove the burrs from skate edges would be incredibly handy.
-It "could" put a skatekey, but very few self-respecting players over 9 years old actually use them. They are just a basic hook for pulling the skate laces tighter.
-It could also have 2 4 mm allen wrenches for use on inline skate wheels. If that is done, a tool for removing the bearings would be great. Bearings have a 3/8" axle.

Did I miss anything? AH CRAP! Bottle opener!!! Not important to me, but I assume 99% of hockey playing adults would find that very useful. Damn.
So, anything else?

The rivets on my non-goalie skates(Grafs) are Torx. Not sure how many other skates are...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:09 pm 

Bosc wrote:
The rivets on my non-goalie skates(Grafs) are Torx. Not sure how many other skates are...

Good one. My Grafs also have them. I got a reply from Leatherman saying they will look into the idea, but no guarantees.

I tried to look up some old friends from the bike days who made bike tools, but they have closed down. Might try a contact at another company we got tools from. Worth a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Good one. My Grafs also have them. I got a reply from Leatherman saying they will look into the idea, but no guarantees.

I tried to look up some old friends from the bike days who made bike tools, but they have closed down. Might try a contact at another company we got tools from. Worth a shot.

Might also check hockey stores, some of them might have specific tools you can buy and you can check those companies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next