OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Saw an ad for this on Facebook and followed the link.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/sport/hockey ... -gear.aspx

Seriously? Am I mistaken in thinking that "body armor" is for someone other than a goalie? Perhaps I'm just getting old...I don't remember shoulder pads covering quite that much surface area.

Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:19 pm 
OTP Historian

This is the Tomas Holmstrom line of protective gear :P

I think it might be time to get some better shin pads given the number of shots I block. Blocked a really hard shot from someone recently that hit a spot on my pad flush against the bone right below the knee that juts out a bit, and got a nice bruise. Also took a couple off the side where there was just the thin layer of padding rather than plastic. I need to pick up some Ludwigs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:25 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I need to pick up some Ludwigs.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I always wanted to Ludwig a pair of shin pads, but was afraid of ruining them. I loved watching him play. It was like watching a Tom & Jerry cartoon. If seen profile, his legs were normal to thin. If he turned sideways, he had frying pan shins. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Dammit!

To pick up a pair of my favorite Sher-Wood 9950 gloves on sale for 50 bucks, or save the 50 bucks, tape up the holes in my current gloves and keep on using them? :x :x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Dammit!

To pick up a pair of my favorite Sher-Wood 9950 gloves on sale for 50 bucks, or save the 50 bucks, tape up the holes in my current gloves and keep on using them? :x :x

Drop the $50. How often will a deal like that pop up?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Shot found it's way to my knee Sunday...clearly reason for buying new pads...Oh and gloves need to match pads....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Dammit!

Drop the $50. How often will a deal like that pop up?

No idea. Depends on how long Sher-Wood makes the gloves :lol: I found my last pair on ebay(9980s, not 9950s) and manged to get them for less than 50 bucks total. Everything on there right now is more expensive.

That $50 might be better off going towards shin pads...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 pm 
OTP Historian

So it turns out I'm getting both :) Anam's parents are getting me the gloves for Christmas, and my Grandma is giving us cash which I bought the shin pads with :)

Pretty disappointed with the Rbk 87k skates I bought last year. In the first pair I bought, there was a hole somewhere in the liner for the pump so they would just lose the air immediately after getting pumped. On this pair, after a year, some of the stitching on the ankle support ripped, so it's opening up. Gonna have to take it to a shoe repair place and see if they can fix it. Also, the blades come loose much easier than my older skates, a pair of $120 Nikes that were amazing. I love how they fit, but disappointed with the quality for a pair of skates over 200 bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 pm 

Do not buy from hockeymonkey.com

Bunch of idiots and scheisters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:32 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Rumour is that my brand of gloves and pads is being sold to Vaughn.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Guess I may have to order a new set this week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Rumour is that my brand of gloves and pads is being sold to Vaughn.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Guess I may have to order a new set this week.

Get us all a set, moneybags. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:28 am 
King of the One-Liner

Moneybags? I'm dreading the extra pairs of shoes and boots this will lead to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Moneybags? I'm dreading the extra pairs of shoes and boots this will lead to.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Played it half way and ordered new gloves only. I could live with another brand of leg pads if I had too, but trying to find another catcher I like would suck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:11 pm 

I am amazed every time I look at a hockey helmet. I found an ancient one the other day, and am amazed at how little they've changed in 20+ years. Sure, they've added air vents and better straps, but it just seems like they are really poorly made overall. Most have hard closed-cell foam that doesn't have any give to it, and might distribute a blow slightly if at all. Others have super soft open-cell foam that doesn't seem like it'd help with any impact at all.

It just seems like helmets should be better. I'm not suggesting a solution, as I don't have one. I'm just questioning the status quo.

Completely unrelated to this: I went into the local hockey store trying to find a cheap composite shaft to use for inline (putting ABS blade on bottom since our rink is asphalt). Cheapest one they had was $150. HA! I mentioned it to the salesman. he sold me a nice composite 1 piece with a broken blade for $20. I cut off the broken blade & flipped the stick over. Sweet stick for $20! Whoopeeee! I'll be keeping a closer eye on the garbage can at the rinks...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm 

If anyone is looking for good deals on inline bearings- www.608bearing.com has some good bulk deals. I ordered 100 ABEC 7, sealed bearings with nylon cages for $59.95.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://ingoalmag.com/news/cbcs-glen-hea ... ie-safety/

Thought I'd post this in here. Glen Healy went on a rant about the lack of testing for goalie masks in the NHL yesterday, and the mask makers have struck back.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 pm 

saskhab wrote:
http://ingoalmag.com/news/cbcs-glen-healy-slams-mask-makers-and-nhl-goalie-safety/

Thought I'd post this in here. Glen Healy went on a rant about the lack of testing for goalie masks in the NHL yesterday, and the mask makers have struck back.

Unfortunately, their strike missed Healy and broke Rick DiPietro's left cheekbone. :rimshot:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 am 
King of the One-Liner

Once committed to ordering Retro leather look gloves so had to order new pads as well.

Going full out old school look with knee roles and straps through the face of the shin(well they will be fake but it will look like it)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next