OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
OTP Historian

New season starts tonight! We lost of few guys, including a couple of guys who had been with the team since the first or second season. Picked up a few to replace them, including one guy who apparently played in the A. Looking forward to the new season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Can't believe I have not been in here yet. Played two games thus far and am one and one playing again tonight. Doing my best Toskala impression and letting in one bad goal a game, don't expect that to keep up...but who knows maybe it's age and not rust. Did stop a penalty shot last week with six minutes left in a 2-2 game that we went on to win 4-2 with empty netter so I don't feel utterly useless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:52 am 
King of the One-Liner

Learned something new this year...They paint the ice white. Never crossed my mind before, but when I found myself playing on dark grey ice it was brought to my attention that the white is painted like the lines.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:01 am 
He of the red stockings

Yup, I believe they paint UNDER the ice in fact

No league play for me this winter, unless I catch on to a team later in the season
My Dad's spiraling health means no commitment hockey for me (pickup) :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:39 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

funny beer hockey video

http://www.hockey-jerseys.ca/blog/funny ... er-league/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:47 pm 
King of Men

What skate hollow do you guys use?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
What skate hollow do you guys use?

1" on my goalie skates I think. Can't remember my player skates. Standard I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Skate hollows are typically between 5/16" and 1/2" radius.

"shifty" forwards often use 5/16" or very sharp edges that help them cut & turn. But they dull quicker.
A lot of D and "regular" forwards use 3/8". This is more standard.

Those fruitcakes who call themselves goalies typically use 1/2" so they can slide across the crease.

I usually use 3/8" as deception is not exactly part of my game. :(

I've asked the sharpener dudes at several rinks I play at. Most people have no idea what size hollow they use, and the guys usually only change it for the pains in the ass who specifically ask for something. Other than for goalies and the first pair after goalies of course. Nobody wants to have skates like a (grimaces) goalie. Yuck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:24 am 
King of the One-Liner

I'm 3/8 as a goalie. Most goalies in my age bracket think I'm nuts, but for pushing around the crease with one leg I find the bite really helps.

Seems to me for the (disdain)Skaters(/disdain) I play with the profile is as important to them as the hollow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 pm 
OTP Historian

I think I got 5/8 on my goalie skates once because I didn't know what hollow to use(my younger bro worked at Sport Chek for a while and sharpened em for me after I started playing net again, and I hadn't brought them in for a while myself), and spent 10 minutes trying to dull the things. I like mine dull. Really dull, I guess :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm 

Got my skates sharpened last week, and they came out crooked! I brought them back to be re-done and the bastid gave me the sharpest skates known to man!!! They have to have a freaking 1/4" hollow! I could split firewood with these things. Not happy, and I instantly thought of this thread. So make sure they don't go too sharp on you. Grrr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Horrible start to playoffs, Shoot out loss and regulation loss. I've not been horrible, but nor have I been part of a solution.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well went on to win out and then won the finals 1-0 trapping the crap out of beer league.

To be fair they had a goal called back that should of counted, but hey my never saying any crap to the refs ever paid off today. :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:09 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Well went on to win out and then won the finals 1-0 trapping the crap out of beer league.

To be fair they had a goal called back that should of counted, but hey my never saying any crap to the refs ever paid off today. :awesome:

Nice!

I start playing again next week. Monday is the "Free Agent" game. I haven't been on ice since early March, and haven't played a game in like 3-4 years. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 am 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Nice!

I start playing again next week. Monday is the "Free Agent" game. I haven't been on ice since early March, and haven't played a game in like 3-4 years. Should be interesting.

When they draft you should confirm they will not try and move you to Winnipeg before the season starts.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:08 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Nice!

When they draft you should confirm they will not try and move you to Winnipeg before the season starts.

Good point. I will put in an NMC. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:12 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Given that it's Long Island, you must also demand a 10 to 20 year term. Or sentence. Either way.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:01 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Given that it's Long Island, you must also demand a 10 to 20 year term. Or sentence. Either way.

For the billionth time, I don't live on LI. Nor do I live in CT (pre-emptive strike against J21 or Wheatfucker).

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 pm 

My equipment is like me: Old, bulky and stinky.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:20 am 

Started my season last night. You know you're getting old when a kid you coached is playing beer league...

I shall henceforth be known as "He of the deteriorating skills". :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next