OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:03 pm 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
All of us who play defense keep track of our +/-, and like you said it's not always your fault

I don't over the course of the season, even in games. I just notice if I've been on for too many :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:01 am 
He of the red stockings

I haven't played defense in about 6 weeks, having been "demoted" to forward :twisted:
but I still am usually aware of what my +/- is game to game ... I don't keep a running tally, I just know over the
course of the game whether I'm on the ice for more goals against than for
I've become the designated "Don" linemate ... Don is guy on our team who is a great guy that can't skate
Somehow I ended up on his line once, and because I didn't complain, tag I'm it :lol:
I don't really care, he's been fairly receptive to advice on the bench
for a few games, it got me playing center again which I loved ... other than the fact that the other winger was
fairly stationary as well (though he does have a good shot and positional understanding)
I'm not the type of player that can backcheck deep and still carry the play to the other team
So we couldn't get out of our own end, even with me winning 65% of my faceoffs 8-)
So the last few games I've actually spoken up early, and gotten the lines fixed so that the big guy (usually a porous defenseman) now
is skating with the 1st line (at least he gives them a safe outlet, and a good one timer) and an energy guy comes to my line
I even let the guy take center, though his lack of success in the faceoff circle has some of the locker room postgame drinkers
suggesting I take the center position back from him ( though I like playing RW, I've gotten SO many chances the last few games!)
My point is I don't mind skating with Don, but we at least need another guy who can skate on the line
And since we put the line together (about 3 weeks ago), Don has actually been playing very well in the offensive zone, forcing turnovers
(seeing as they usually will attempt to pass out of their zone on his side 90% of the time) and keeping the puck in deep
tonight we lost 5-2 to a team I swear we should beat every time ... we outplayed them, even having a spurt of something like 8:00 in
their zone in the 2nd period ... I for one, actually played a dominant skating game, once I realized they weren't challenging, I decided I'd
carry it more than usual, instead of immediately looking for a pass. I even had the go ahead goal on my stick off a rebound during that long
flurry in their zone, and I opted to immediately try the backhand on the down goalie ... he got a piece of it, sending it wide
I keep thinking if I pulled it to my forehand, I would have easily scored ... though, who knows who was waiting to chop me
I guess a shot is better than no shot, but I still kick myself ... I think I had the time to do it
Doesn't matter anyways ... they scored 2 goals in the last 20 seconds of 2nd period, to take a 4-2 lead :wth:
The first one was a shocker (from the bench), the 2nd was just absolutely inexcusable ... fuck, there was only 13 seconds left after the 1st
Not that I'm counting ( I am :toot: ), but Our Don Line was even for the game (1 goal for, 1 shorty allowed)
I watched the last goal from the bench as well, with 30 seconds left, as the other team came in 3 on 0, and our 5 skaters on the ice just
kind of said a collective "Fuck It" and watched our goalie make 2 saves before giving up the 5th goal
I had suggested about 40 seconds prior that we pull the goalie ... maybe we should have just to spare him :evil:

EDIT: It just dawned on me, that these posts shouldn't be in " Rootbeer Hockey" :chris18:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Daughter made the A team. But now that we've realized we've got no goalie, she wants to give it a real try. I like the idea, except that she's one of our fastest skaters. And now with DiPietro unveiling pink pads, I'll be having to constantly say NO to new pink goalie pads.... (Organization supplies black ones).

I should add myself to the 2010 Coaching Watch thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Daughter made the A team. But now that we've realized we've got no goalie, she wants to give it a real try. I like the idea, except that she's one of our fastest skaters. And now with DiPietro unveiling pink pads, I'll be having to constantly say NO to new pink goalie pads.... (Organization supplies black ones).

Strong skating ability normally transfers to an agile and mobile goalie. Put her in.... she must be assimilated. :awesomecylon:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am 
He of the red stockings

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Strong skating ability normally transfers to an agile and mobile goalie. Put her in.... she must be assimilated. :awesomecylon:

Awesome Chris .... and pay no heed to the crazy goalie ... keep your fast girl where she helps you the most ... moving the puck up the ice!

Find a fat kid to stick in the net! (just kidding Hounsy)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Congrats, your daughter has officially made one more cut than I made the entire time I played! :laughcry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 pm 

Thanks all! She's pretty psyched about the season.

Get the goalie pads Tuesday night. She's first in line to try them out. :doh: She got money for her birthday and my wife blurted out "you should use it on a cool goalie mask!" :shock: Nothing like putting the cart before the horse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:55 am 
King of the One-Liner

Your family sounds like they really get it. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Thanks all! She's pretty psyched about the season.

Get the goalie pads Tuesday night. She's first in line to try them out. :doh: She got money for her birthday and my wife blurted out "you should use it on a cool goalie mask!" :shock: Nothing like putting the cart before the horse.

Your wife is one smart woman!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 am 

Thanks Hounsy & Bosc!

Got the pads. Daughter looked into the bag & asked where the custom painted mask was. :roll: I think she assumed she was getting custom pink pads, and a Troy Lee signed mites/Islanders mask. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 pm 

LittleMiss18 played a fairly good game. I have to admit being short fused with her in practice- kept turning the goalie stick straight out. I eventually took it from her. She used her pads then. Isn't that a real goalie coaching technique for rookies- no stick? Should be. It worked pretty well.
The game- She let in quite a few goals, but we were outmatched and nobody played D. She made more head saves than I've ever seen! Good thing she's got her old man's hard noggin. Also came out and slid to take out a shooter, ala Billy Smith. This was me> :cry:
Doesn't want to play goal again though. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

We are actually taught to try and use the stick on anything you can along the ice as it has more control than the pads.

She's done already?! Like the world needs more [distain] "goal scorers" [/distain]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
We are actually taught to try and use the stick on anything you can along the ice as it has more control than the pads.

She's done already?! Like the world needs more [distain] "goal scorers" [/distain]

Okay. Thanks. I'll try teaching that to the line of kids wanting to try it next. :)

Yeah. I think me being a jerk didn't help. :oops: I think she's more of a set-up woman than a sniper. Much like her old man, she can pass well, but her shots are magnetically attracted to posts! :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:28 pm 

GOAL! LittleMiss18 v1.0 had a goal & assist today. First ice hockey goal. Buzzer beater in a 6-3 loss, but both she & her team are showing signs of great improvement. Early season games were 10-1 and 15-1 losses.

I told her she should have thrown down earlier, so she'd have a Gordie Howe hat trick. Her reply- next time. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:28 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Sweet!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Nice! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:22 am 
He of the red stockings

Awesome! :cheers: :toot:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 pm 

Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 pm 

So LittleMiss18 v1.0 is playing inline for the summer. there is kind of an age gap in our town organization, so we have an Atoms program, mites program, and then it jumps to bantam. LittleMiss18 v1.0 is on the mites team, but has played a few games with the bantams. She had 2 assists the other day, and really had to earn them vs the big kids. I was quite impressed. For a kid who didn't want to push & battle just last year, she's come a long way.

She's also been asked to play on an all girls roller team for the greater county-area, which is also in the bantam age group, though they played a few peewee teams last year (most of the girls are peewee age).

Yes, this is totally a bragging-parent post. :D No other reason for it.

LittleMiss18 v2.0 is pushing hard to play. She's 2 1/2. I'm gonna be a mite coach for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next