OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:54 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I donned some really ill-fitting borrowed goalie gear on the backyard rink yesterday morning (leg pads too big everything else WAY too small), along with regular player pants & skates, and let the kids shoot on me. I figured shooting on a horrendous, fat goalie would build confidence. In last night's game, Miss18.2 got her first of the season! We won 2-1.

I am a genius. And a truly terrible goalie.

Great coaching!

Thanks!

She told me I should be goalie for practice to boost the whole team's confidence. :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:55 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
I donned some really ill-fitting borrowed goalie gear on the backyard rink yesterday morning (leg pads too big everything else WAY too small), along with regular player pants & skates, and let the kids shoot on me. I figured shooting on a horrendous, fat goalie would build confidence. In last night's game, Miss18.2 got her first of the season! We won 2-1.

You liked it I can tell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:55 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

You liked it I can tell.

Goalie coming out party! :woop: :toot:

It was fun. But also frustrating with the ill fitting stuff. The leg pads are like 3" too long (short people problems) and all the buckles are broken. The dude who owned them would tape them in place every game so there was like 89 layers of tape. :lol: So I left the calf "flaps", well, flapping. :lol: And he must have been skinny as hell because the straps on the backs of my knees were cutting in. Then there was the mite sized catcher/blocker I was using... :lol: And the intermediate chest protector. :lol: I had a few inches of natural padding exposed on my mid-section. If I wanted to let them shoot with me in butterfly position I had to slowly lower down into it and just stay there for like 10 shots because I couldn't trust the location of the landing gear to my knees. Found that out the hard way the first time I really tried it. :lol: Also had on regular player skates, so balance was a bit of an issue. But I quickly got good at sending rebounds to the corners. Of course, there was no real change of shot angles or lateral movement, but it was fun to kind of figure that out. And yes, it was fun overall. I feel dirty now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:11 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Saw this on the Twitters... I love watching hockey but this is a gut punch to hear this is still happening and condoned at the high school level...

https://sports.yahoo.com/crowd-hurls-vu ... 43179.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:41 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Saw this on the Twitters... I love watching hockey but this is a gut punch to hear this is still happening and condoned at the high school level...

https://sports.yahoo.com/crowd-hurls-vu ... 43179.html

A kid yelled something similar at Miss18.1 when I was in the stands for a varsity game. I immediately made my way to him and pretended we knew each other well and gave him a hug. I whispered in his ear how many places they'd find his body parts if he ever said anything like that to her or any other girl again. I was quite specific, telling him how the chicken wire would hold the identifiable pieces under water but let the little creepy crawlies in/out, even after they'd eaten their fill of him. :D He was very quiet the rest of the game and every time I ever saw him afterwards. Want to yell disgusting shit about someone? You might meet their family... Put negativity out into the universe, expect negativity and a meat cleaver to come back to you.

Fortunately, Miss18.1 never heard it or knew that I'd paid this kid a visit. But kid said plenty to her on the ice when she was a bantam. In varsity, most kids were really impressed that she could play against them and only a few made dumb comments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:36 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Friggin parents. My Sons coach this year is a loud shouter, and he shouts at players on both teams but the thing is everything he shouts is 100% positive stuff. So parents on other teams I've found out have a problem with him because it turns out they assume he is being mean and up in the stands behind the glass the shouting does have a Charlie Brown teacher affect you know he is shouting but no idea what he is saying. Anyways kinda sad that they assume it is negative as he is pretty much the Ted Lasso of Bantam house league.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Friggin parents. My Sons coach this year is a loud shouter, and he shouts at players on both teams but the thing is everything he shouts is 100% positive stuff. So parents on other teams I've found out have a problem with him because it turns out they assume he is being mean and up in the stands behind the glass the shouting does have a Charlie Brown teacher affect you know he is shouting but no idea what he is saying. Anyways kinda sad that they assume it is negative as he is pretty much the Ted Lasso of Bantam house league.

Ok, that's hilarious :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:31 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Ok, that's hilarious :lol:

Yep. I've complimented opposing players and had their parents come storming over to me after games, assuming I'd yelled AT their kid. I get it from their side...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:16 pm 
OTP Clown

Hounsy wrote:

I coach and I'm a loud shouter.

This year, my team is not aggressive.

I've taken to giving them high fives for not checking to see if a person is ok after they hurt them.

They give up on plays where they have scoring chances to check to see if the person who bounced off them are ok.

We had a practice today and three of my kids hurt three kids from the other team (shared ice practice)

I congratulated them on each play.

Not because they hurt someone - they weren't really hurt, just whining because they were knocked on their ass - but because they kept going.

We were doing competetive drills.

The other teams goalie was robbing our guys constantly and throwing the puck down the ice (making it more difficult for our team in the drill)

I started shouting loud enough for the rink to here:

He's really good up top.

He's strong at handling the puck.

He's garbage down low between his feet.

Deke him and go low.

They did that and scored eight times in a row.

After spending half the practice gloating and being patronizing to our players, the little fucker came off the ice in tears.

He shut us out the last two games and it was reported that he gloated about this in school.

His mom came and spoke to me after the practice.

I told her that I hope her son never stops a single shot when we are playing them and I will do everything in my power to send them out to get him off his game however they can.

I'll be getting a call from the league. (again)

I keep getting in trouble.

First, it was me making a diving gesture about a kid who was lying on the ice. I knew the kid from coaching him. He brings out the worst in people around him and regularly flails on the ice for attention. It happens every game.

Apparently that is no longer shameful behaviour for the majority.

My last call from the league was when a parent (of a goaltender) learned that I told our best shooter to launch the first couple of shots at the goalies face - that's why they wear the gear.

When we did that we scored three goals and hung on for our only win so far this year.

This team always holds back. Then they fight with each other.

I want them to fight with the other team, not have polite conversations.

I'd rather try to reign in their aggression then stoke it.

When parents watch me encourage them to play aggressively and attack the puck and battle, they get put off.

But our guys are too nice to play against.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:24 pm 

:laap:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:40 pm 

All my years coaching in NY and I'd never been to a tournament in Lake Placid. Supposed to go to one next month. Hoping it doesn't get shut down or our team quarantined... Here's to health! :beer:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:14 am 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/high-school-hockey-player-dies-after-on-ice-collision-in-greenwich/2723308/

:cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:54 am 
OTP Historian

Tragic :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:43 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Tragic :(

Kid was in 10th grade. Details are not being given out, other than he had fallen and an opponent wasn't able to stop, hitting him. Not sure if he was cut or had his neck broken or something. Horrible, no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:31 pm 

Skate to the kid's neck. We played the org he came out of last night. We had a moment of silence before the game. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:17 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Are neck guards required in US minor hockey?

I know they are far from full proof in this kinda thing so fully suspect he had one on but was just wondering?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:29 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Are neck guards required in US minor hockey?

I know they are far from full proof in this kinda thing so fully suspect he had one on but was just wondering?

They are "strongly suggested". There are tons of petitions going around to make them mandatory.
Most teams have rules that they're required. When I was pres of another org, our insurance company made them mandatory but USA Hockey doesn't. I'd think the manufacturers would have pushed it on them a while ago...

Most kids hate to wear them. They're hot. Kids fold them over and tape them to be smaller in height, but they're still "wearing one".

The kid who passed away, Teddy Balkind, was playing a high school game. They're not required for that. He wasn't wearing one.

There's lots of arguments about their effectiveness. When I'd go to Ct Hockey meetings there was almost always an argument over them being mandatory vs being useless (sounds like mask arguments!). It's a debate that's gone on for years. I always tell my players to wear them. Many choose not to. They always "forget" them in the locker room or take them off mid-game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Mandatory here for the kids anyway. Funny thing is when they have only known having to wear them as part of the standard gear kit they don't seem to complain about them being uncomfortable.

Maybe I am just in a goalie bubble on that one though and we are pretty use to equipment all over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:39 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Mandatory here for the kids anyway. Funny thing is when they have only known having to wear them as part of the standard gear kit they don't seem to complain about them being uncomfortable.

Maybe I am just in a goalie bubble on that one though and we are pretty use to equipment all over.

I saw replays of Clint Malarchuk when I was a peewee or bantam. I went out and bought a neckguard without anyone telling me to. Back then they were awful. It had a huge plastic piece that ran through it and dug into my collar bone when I'd get checked, so I ditched it.

My kids wore them early on. I always told them they had to. As they aged, they ditched them without me noticing. They each have at least 2, but typically "forget" them in the bag...

It's amazing how few cuts there are considering how many players get upended. Years ago I knocked down a guy in beer league. He apologized while laying on the ice. I thought I was a bad ass. :lol: NEXT GAME I looked down at my pants and noticed there was a huge gash in them and the top part of the thigh pad was literally shaved and the top of my sock was even pilled like it had been shaved! Dude's blade was like 1 mm from the major artery in my thigh. I never felt a thing. If I leaned forward a tiny bit more I might have bled out. Never know. And all that said- I don't wear a neckguard for beer league games. I do wear a full cage.

Second closest I ever came to getting cut was coaching. Kid jump/fell over the boards and sliced open the wrist of my jacket. Fucking kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 am 
OTP Historian

So a couple of weeks ago when the lockdown was announced, there was two days before everything shut down. Of course, rep hockey would continue to operate as long as the possibly could. 7 kids and a coach on my nephews team got it, likely on the last game that they played instead of just cancelling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next