OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:39 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Oh wow, she wants to be a goalie eh :D

Definitely agree with Hounsy in teaching her to first stop pucks then work on mobility. If she's a decent skater already then with working on tracking and trying to stop pucks I think some of the movement will come naturally.

Cool, thanks.

I was pricing goalie masks. She needs a new helmet after this year regardless of type, so I figured I'd take a peek at masks. holy shit! I knew pads were expensive, but had no idea masks were that much!!! Of course, I love the idea of being able to customize it though. Found some sites that offer semi-custom designs you can modify with a logo and color schemes... If she sticks it out, I'll probably get her a mask for Christmas and get a sticker set right away. Priorities! :lol:
Saw masks that are supposedly new for $100 less than retail on Ebay. Maybe a model year or two old? Doesn't matter much to me if it works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Oh wow, she wants to be a goalie eh :D

Definitely agree with Hounsy in teaching her to first stop pucks then work on mobility. If she's a decent skater already then with working on tracking and trying to stop pucks I think some of the movement will come naturally.

Cool, thanks.

I was pricing goalie masks. She needs a new helmet after this year regardless of type, so I figured I'd take a peek at masks. holy shit! I knew pads were expensive, but had no idea masks were that much!!! Of course, I love the idea of being able to customize it though. Found some sites that offer semi-custom designs you can modify with a logo and color schemes... If she sticks it out, I'll probably get her a mask for Christmas and get a sticker set right away. Priorities! :lol:
Saw masks that are supposedly new for $100 less than retail on Ebay. Maybe a model year or two old? Doesn't matter much to me if it works.

Hounsy will be able to help you more than I can for kids equipment, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
King of the One-Liner

This what my 9 yr old son has used this year. Does take some harder head shots at the hockey school from kids up to 13-14 years old with out issues.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-goali ... ified.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:50 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
This what my 9 yr old son has used this year. Does take some harder head shots at the hockey school from kids up to 13-14 years old with out issues.

I found that exact one on Hockeygiant.com for $120. It's what I was thinking of getting. But I'm going to hold off and make sure she really digs this goalie thing.
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 pm 

Brought the oversized goalie gear into the hockey store. While we were still walking in they guy asked "that's not for HER is it?" :lol: I explained our situation, and asked if he wanted to see her try the stuff on. "Uh, no. No need to. That's closer to fitting you than her." (which I didn't really need to hear, thank you very much!)
So the 27" pads are about, mmmm, 5" too big. :lol: The only used stuff they had included 21" leg pads, which are a tiny bit small for her, but the chest protector, blocker & glove fit perfectly. Her pants are big enough that the guy said the half to 1" the leg pads are short will be fine at the mite/squirt level. He said I may want to get knee protectors if she complains. Best part- the organization agreed to pay for it all. It was only $200, but free is better than $200. Also got a Bauer stick for $90.

So she's got pads that fit relatively well and is psyched to play goalie. Pretty cool- they have synthetic ice in the goalie room so she put her skates on and tried some butterfly and such. She was actually able to get back up. With the 27" pads on I had to pick her up. :lol: There was also a really nice bantam goalie getting new pads and he was giving her tips while they both waited for the one guy working to get their stuff.

Game tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:16 am 

Hounsy wrote:

Got the same mask on another site (youth size though). It was $120 to start, then had 30% off for end of year sale. Then, they had a President's Day sale code that wasn't supposed to work, but did. So I got a $120 mask for $63! Wife is kind of annoyed that I ordered it when we aren't positive she wants to stick it out in net, but that was just too good of a price. I sound like my mother. :lol: :D :) :oops: :fffffuck:

I need to get her to a goalie coach or clinic. She was letting in tons of shots at practice last night, mostly while standing still. She's not afraid of the puck, because I shot quite a few harder than I had meant to and if they were at her, she blocked them and got excited for having made a save. On the way home I asked (nicely) if she's too tired, scared, can't move in the gear, etc. She said she's not scared at all, but has no idea what she's doing. I figured out from the tape on her stick that she's standing upright- only the tape on the toe is worn out. So she has no leg to push to either side. You'd think I would notice the stick on its toe during practice, but I was too busy trying to test her blocker, glove, each leg pad. :oops: Missed the forest through all the trees! But at least I can explain WHY she needs the proper stance now. This is a whole new set of coaching techniques that I know very little about. I've got a book by Francois Allaire, but it's so in depth I drown when I try to read it. :lol: Not that I've given it a fair shake.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:22 am 
King of the One-Liner

She is under ten right? If so focus on good butterfly drops and while some glove and blocker shots are still good really work on along the ice coverage to start. New goalies can find it counter intuitive to kick your feet out wider for shots coming in the middle of you pads in the butterfly, but that is how you seal the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:04 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
She is under ten right? If so focus on good butterfly drops and while some glove and blocker shots are still good really work on along the ice coverage to start. New goalies can find it counter intuitive to kick your feet out wider for shots coming in the middle of you pads in the butterfly, but that is how you seal the middle.

Thanks for the advice. And yes, she's 8.
One of my wife's former students is a goalie and goalie coach for a local high school. He's agreed to give her private lessons! I'm psyched because he's a good goalie and great guy.
I'm asking every goalie I know for advice. :lol: Luckily, everyone is giving the same advice, so I know it's good. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

One of my wife's former students is a goalie and goalie coach for a local high school. He's agreed to give her private lessons! I'm psyched because he's a good goalie and great guy.
I'm asking every goalie I know for advice. :lol: Luckily, everyone is giving the same advice, so I know it's good. :D

Even just watching hockey is good. My brother's 6-year old(almost 7) son is going to be playing full time for the rest of the season. He says that his kid's picked up stuff just watching NHL goalies play on tv, stuff my brother hasn't even taught him. He's practicing it himself out on the backyard rink. That backyard rink will be huge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Even just watching hockey is good. My brother's 6-year old(almost 7) son is going to be playing full time for the rest of the season. He says that his kid's picked up stuff just watching NHL goalies play on tv, stuff my brother hasn't even taught him. He's practicing it himself out on the backyard rink. That backyard rink will be huge.

Yeah, about that... Whenever we have a game on the TV, she ignores it. She loves to play, but hates to watch games! It's weird. I've tried to MAKE her watch, and she just keeps asking if she can put on a movie. :roll:
As for the backyard rink- I had hoped it would help a lot. It's 65F here today! There's no rink to speak of. :cry: We haven't skated in at least 2 weeks. There's a thin layer of slush on top, but I can see water all around the edges. And the forecast is good for the baseball teams, not backyard rinks. :chairshot: I've been trying to find inexpensive synthetic ice. That's an oxymoron. I'm sure it's some kind of relatively expensive plastic, but I'm also sure the companies that market it as synthetic ice are adding a good margin for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:03 am 

In other Miss18 news, Miss18.1's varsity team is going to the sectional semi-finals tonight. They won their first round game 8-0 and she played about half the third period. She was on a line with the other girl, who is a senior, and they didn't score but came very close a few times.
Then they won a nail biter 4-2 (EN) and she didn't play.
Tonight's opponent beat them 4-0 and 3-1 earlier in the season, so I don't expect her to play. But it should be fun to watch anyway. Hoping these kids can pull a rabbit out...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

Younger kid worked with a goalie coach about 2 hours total and the difference is amazing! Pretty cool to see what can be changed by someone who knows what they're doing. :lol:
Off to a jamboree this weekend. She's skating out with the intermediate team and in net for the rookies. Hopefully it's fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:16 am 

Little goalie went 5-1 on the weekend, never allowing more than 3 goals/game. Sure, they were only 20 minute games, but it's a start. :lol: Would have had 2 shutouts if not for making the same silly mistake twice- looking down for the puck between her skates instead of just dropping on it. Learning curve... :roll:
But the most important thing is that she had fun and didn't get hurt.
Also skated out for one of our other teams and had fun with that too. Goal & assist on one shift so I said "you only need one thing for a Gordie!". She started scouting the other team for someone worthy. :lol: I put the kaibash on that in a hurry. But it was funny.

I still need to get her real knee/thigh protection. The pads I made are too small & the foam isn't stiff enough. Used stuff I had and it's just not up to snuff. Plus they don't wrap around the thigh. She took one good shot off the thigh and has a bruise. Nothing bad, but these are the 4 oz blue pucks, which are softer. Need to do something before she moves on to real pucks in squirt. So much for this being a mere $200 adventure. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

My son uses the Warrior Knee and thigh protection with out any use of stuff built into the pad and has no problems both with protection or movement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm 

Looks good. I had gotten some Bauers but they were huge on her. Kept sliding down her leg and making the pads turn out to the side. A friend may have some slightly larger pads for me. Should find out soon. Hoping so!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 am 
King of the One-Liner

Son's team won their playoffs Wednesday night in a very exciting 4-3 win where they scored the winner with three minutes to go. He played the second half went in losing 3-2 and kept them off the board for the win. The team tightened things up during the second half but he did make a handful of saves with two of them being big ones. Funny thing was he was home from School yesterday after puking at night so I went to check on him in front of the TV and he was sitting in his chair with blankets clutching his trophy. He also agrees with me when you win a championship in net it is 50% elation you won and 50% relief you didn't blow it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Son's team won their playoffs Wednesday night in a very exciting 4-3 win where they scored the winner with three minutes to go. He played the second half went in losing 3-2 and kept them off the board for the win. The team tightened things up during the second half but he did make a handful of saves with two of them being big ones. Funny thing was he was home from School yesterday after puking at night so I went to check on him in front of the TV and he was sitting in his chair with blankets clutching his trophy. He also agrees with me when you win a championship in net it is 50% elation you won and 50% relief you didn't blow it.

Awesome that they won! At least he waited until after the big win to get sick!

And I can understand the 50/50 split. I'm already a frazzled goalie parent. I actually go to sleep every night thinking about how I can help her improve before the season starts, and how I'll handle it when she doesn't play well... It's not healthy! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
And I can understand the 50/50 split. I'm already a frazzled goalie parent. I actually go to sleep every night thinking about how I can help her improve before the season starts, and how I'll handle it when she doesn't play well... It's not healthy! :oops:

As a goalie I have blown it before in crunch time and lived through it just fine, so when he inevitably blows it in a big game and he will be fine as well. I've told him as much and reassured him that he is playing well and will have more than enough good moments to make up for the times mistakes happen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

As a goalie I have blown it before in crunch time and lived through it just fine, so when he inevitably blows it in a big game and he will be fine as well. I've told him as much and reassured him that he is playing well and will have more than enough good moments to make up for the times mistakes happen.

I know. I've had to console kids who scored an own-goal against our team that turned out to be the game winner (loser?), and other such fun things. I always tell kids that if they don't let that BS bother them, they'll play thousands more games, winning a bunch, losing a bunch, scoring, being scored on, making tons of memories, both good & bad... If they let it bother them, they'll quit and that's what they'll remember.
I guess my main concern is my kid getting shit from other kids & parents. Our squirt team won a tournament this year, and I have to say, are a really nasty bunch of little shits. They were really mean to each other. I've been around a lot of teams and never seen kids at ANY age be that mean to their team mates when they messed up. The parents were no better. One of the parents saw us working with a goalie coach last week & said how relieved he was, because the kid moving up was awful, always let in goals 5-hole, never had his stick down, etc... Bashing an 11 year old publicly. I told him to just stop, and to not talk that way about KIDS. He played semi-pro, so you'd think he'd know a lot better! But instead it's like he's not happy with having been SEMI-pro, and is trying to live vicariously through his kid in hopes that he makes full pro.

So I'm concerned about the drop in goalie ability, since the kid they had was an older 2nd year squirt (January birthday), who had been goalie for a few years. She's a rookie goalie, will be a very young first year squirt (December birthday), so she's way younger and very green in net. I also tend to stress over shit like this. :lol:

Here's to 2 teams, and her being on the B team! :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:59 pm 
OTP Historian

Great stuff, guys. Glad that a few hours work is paying dividends for Miss 18.2, Chris. I like that she's still playing both.

My nephew is playing in net nearly full time now. There's a kid in his league, not even 7 yet I think, who is the son of a coach who runs hockey schools. He absolutely wired a shot on my nephew that actually dented his player helmet cage. That's crazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next