OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

My older daughter wants to play hockey again. :D I was worried she wouldn't want to.

Time for a new stick, mouthpiece & skates!

I'll also be coaching again. Should be a fun winter! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am 

Miss18.1 had an assist in her first game. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:37 pm 

Nobody else's kid plays?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Good deal, what position does she play?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:19 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Nobody else's kid plays?

Not yet, and frankly my daughter is resisting my attempts at brainwashing.

If only "Barbie and the magic Hockey stick" was the next Barbie movie, then I'd have a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Good deal, what position does she play?

Usually wing. She's fast.

And I've been drafted back into coaching.

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Nobody else's kid plays?

Not yet, and frankly my daughter is resisting my attempts at brainwashing.

If only "Barbie and the magic Hockey stick" was the next Barbie movie, then I'd have a chance.

I had thought of combining several toy sets to make Barbie play. :lol: But my daughter wanted to play. If you force her, she'll probably bring it up in therapy years from now. Better luck with the next one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:52 pm 

Team is 5-0-1. :D Also pretty decidedly won their cross ice games as well, although score isn't kept in those.

But recent events have me rethinking my career. I am considering going into genetics to prove once & for all that there is in fact a "hit the post" gene. Posts=2. Daughter= sad. At least she doesn't scream profanities like her old man when she hits it. Yet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:05 am 
He of the red stockings

That's great Chris (the record, not the hitting the post thing)

My god-daughter made my day yesterday ... she had expressed an interest in learning to skate last year
I didn't buy her skates for her birthday, because it was March and I knew she'd lose her interest
I asked her mom about it last week, and today Sophie non-chalantly walked up to me and said "Yes"
I was like "Yes, what?" and she said, "Yes, I still want to learn to skate"
So I said " OK, do you know whether you want to hockey skate or figure skate?"
It was important, and I was worried about it, because if she wanted to figure skate, there was very little I could teach her

She looked at me like I had two heads, then said "hockey" as if I should have known
And I should have ... I think she will be better at hockey than I am ..I just didn't want to assume
I am both nervous and excited about the chance to teach her the game I love
The last kid I tried to teach to skate, lasted one session ... I wish I had a chance to teach him when he was Sophie's age (6)
rather than the age he was (11). he was already vastly out of shape by then and all his energy he had as a young boy was gone
His ankles were not strong enough to do what I was teaching him

I really think Sophie could be great at hockey, and I don't want to fuck this chance up
The challenge will be getting her to pay attention, I think ... she is already more than tough enough to skate with the boys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Great stuff, guys :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:02 pm 
He of the red stockings

Finally managed to to borrow my "niece" long enough to get her some skates
Drove through a sleet storm to Rebel's house, and he still wasn't back from work
After waiting there about a half hour, Sophie walked into the kitchen wearing her coat and boots
and said "Can we just go?" :lol:
I wasn't sure we'd have enough time to get there by the time they closed, with the roads and traffic
Again, she just said "Let's go!" ok
Battled countless crazy plow drivers, and other clueless motorists, and got there 5 minutes before closing
Good thing she couldn't see anything from the back seat, she would have been scared :lol:
I got her a used pair of Bauer Vapors. She crinkled her nose a bit at the word "used", but seemed to like them
By getting a used pair she's actually getting much nicer skates, and they're already broken in (key)
She walked around the store in them, and her ankles didn't buckle at all ... very good sign
While they were being sharpened, she was looking at the little kid sized sticks
She claims to be a righty, but she picked up a righty stick and was swinging it lefty
I noticed she went past the woods, and went right for a composite ... nice try kid ;)
I resisted the urge to get her a stick, I want her to learn to skate the right way - without a stick
Now the hard part ... finding ice to learn on

Chris, how old was your girl when you taught her to skate? I know I'm gonna be guilty of trying to teach
her too much too fast. I could use some tips on how to pace her learning

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:15 am 
He of the red stockings

First lesson down ... not so good .... I heard "I hate you" for the first time from my "niece"
I laughed it off, she was mad because I wouldn't let her quit after 5 minutes
It was a public skating session, which is like the nightmare of skating teaching
For one, several of her classmates were on the ice ... oh, boy
I knew one of her classmates was approaching when Sophie suddenly yanked her hand out of my grasp
Yup, time to look cool for the homies
I managed to strike a compromise with her ... in other words , she got her way :lol:
She pointed to the milk crates another kid was pushing, and said " Either I get those, or we go home"
I quickly acquiesced, though if you ask me, the milk crates were in her way
She still was trying to walk in her skates, which made her skates just hit the milk crates and knock her down
She forgot to bring her helmet, so I had to be extra vigilante at catching her
For the 30 seconds I actually got her to glide on one skate and push sideways with the other, she rocketed the crate
across the ice... I'm quite sure she scared herself at how fast she went for those 30 seconds, and went back to the walking
I'm at an impasse, I'd appreciate any input from any members who've ever taught another to skate
I know she could be a demon on skates, I just don't know how to get her to trust her balance and edges
If I could get her to the basic level, I could teach her the powerskating easilly enough
I'm almost thinking we should enroll her in a Learn to Skate class, and then I can teach her Powerskating after that
Maybe (probably) they would know how to deal with the fear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 am 

Nice Hipcheck! Sorry I haven't been around much to help.

I found that hockey equipment boosted both my daughter's and MY confidence in letting her go. If that's not an option, THICK snow pants & jacket (elbows hit often). Any padding will help. Soccer knee pads, whatever. Honestly, after watching my kid fall & get hurt, I have a new found respect for figure skaters.

My daughter was about 2- we got her on those double blade skates. She was 3 on normal skates. She didn't let go 'til 4 though. :)

It's funny- you think to yourself "I am a pretty good skater, of course I'll be able to teach someone how." I SUCKED at teaching at first. I hate to admit this- but I actually bought "Coaching Hockey- for Dummies". I flipped through dozens of coaching books & found that most assumed the players/learners had the basics down. The Dummies book assumes no experience at all (skater or teacher/coach), which is why it's perfect. It has illustrations, descriptions, etc. Everything from stance to different pushes, turns, stops, drills, etc. I have to recommend it. :s It was $20, but you'll probably find some used on Amazon from dejected coaches. :lol:

Good luck & remember to have fun. And see to it she does to. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:50 am 
He of the red stockings

thanks Chris
my problem will be getting her back on the ice this year (before she outgrows her skates)
the double runners are likely out of the question, seeing as she's 6
one thing working in my favor is her determination ... after she took her skates off, she was watching
the other skaters while I unlaced mine... I heard her say "Man, there's 3 year olds out there doing it..."
I told her "that 3 year old has probably been skating at least a year"
I know if I can get her to just try to do what I ask her to, she will get better
Unfortunately, as we all know, skating is NOT a natural motion
We are asking kids who not long ago learned to walk, to forgo that thought process and do something totally alien

As far as teaching hockey, I will leave that alone until at least I can get her to skate
Seeing as she was the one who asked me to teach her, I hope she doesn't give up the desire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:31 pm 

Hip- I wasn't suggesting she play hockey yet. Just that the Coaching Hockey for Dummies book had the best skating instructions/teaching/drills I'd seen. :)

If she's that determined, that's great. :D

Growing out of skates is a big problem with kids that age. Too many parents buy skates a few sizes too big & use thick socks. :roll: Used skates are great. I usually get new inserts for them- just for the ickiness factor. I bought one pair of used skates that had half a cat worth of hair stuck to the inserts. Kid must have pet the cat with thier foot before practices. :lol: The store we go to gives okay buy-back prices on skates, and has pretty good prices on used skates. I was pleasantly surprised to see my daughter didn't need new skates this year.

Keep trying. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 am 
He of the red stockings

Chris I found that book online (amazing what you can find for free if keep pluggin) If the title doesn't work, type in the the 1st chapter
That did it!
I haven't perused it enough yet, but haven't found any advice for beginning skaters
I have found a few drills I was already planning on using, so I know the author knows what he's saying (the stride extension drill is key)
If I can get her on the ice 2 or 3 more times this year it'll all be worth it!
I'll buy her skates every year if she actually shows that she still wants to do it
thanks dude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 pm 
Old Man of the Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl,215219

Massive brawl between nine-year-old Russian kids... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:34 pm 

I suppose the cross ice/full ice debate should go in here so as not to get deleted by The Cunning Alzheimer.

After my alumni game and talking about old times, including running into an old coach I haven't seen since I was 6 (!), I have convinced myself that cross ice is absolutely the way to go. Those first two seasons of Mite hockey (there was no Mini-mites back then) when I was 5 and 6, I seriously had NO clue as to what I was doing. I didn't even know what offsides was until my third season or so. It wasn't until I was 8 that I had a fairly firm grasp on how to play the game. So that being said, yeah, focus on teaching some basic skills and then when they're ready, show them the more technical aspects of hockey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:27 pm 
He of the red stockings

How did the alumni game go, Av?

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-9-year-olds-in-massive-Russian-hockey-bra?urn=nhl,215219

Massive brawl between nine-year-old Russian kids... :shock:

that's awesome ... I've seen 3rd man in before, but that looked like 3rd team in! Where did those other dudes in the yellow come from?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 pm 

hipcheck wrote:
How did the alumni game go, Av?

It went okay...the experience was wholly worth it, my own play though was abysmal. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though I would hope to get some drop-in games under my belt so I could get up to speed. All in all I had a blast though.

So anyway caught up with some people I haven't seen in a very, VERY long time, so that was awesome. Two brothers who grew up about a block or two from me were there. Jason, the elder, stopped playing in squirts but kept skating as a ref in his later years. Jeremy was probably the best guy I had ever shared ice with. I always thought if one guy were going to make it big, it'd be him. Both played defense, Jeremy on one pairing with a guy I didn't know, me on a pairing with Jason. Needless to say, Jeremy still had it and singlehandedly took the game over whenever it was called for. Jason and I were pretty much a disaster. He was far more comfortable with the puck than I. I was never much of a puckmover but after 5 or so years of playing roller hockey with a plastic ball the puck just felt heavy. I was slapping at it all night like a mini-mite. :lol:

My skating was also not up to par, but that was to be expected. All in all the game ended up an 8-8 tie, Jason and I letting in 7 of them. :oops: Admittedly, at least 2 were ones the goalie should have had, but we definitely weren't the "shutdown" pairing that's for sure. Every time Jeremy would facilitate a goal for, we'd come right back and give up one.

Oh and every penalty was a penalty shot. One guy knocked me down (I couldn't skate well enough yet to avoid him) and so I got my chance. Some things never change--after a lame deke that fooled no one, I shot it forehand right into the goalie's chest. :doh: Yeah, I was never much of a scorer, up close or far away.

The funniest part for me was when, out of frustration, I threw myself into the end boards following a particularly bad goal against. To my surprise the boards buckled and rattled like I had driven a zamboni into them. That's definitely not like the rigid boards I'm used to at all. Must be fun as all hell ramming someone into those.

I definitely want to get some drop-in sessions in the next few months, though I might need to get a full cage. Right now I have the half cage and wouldn't mind playing with that but if I get my face destroyed right before my wedding I think the Nebraskan might be a bit upset with me (those of you who have seen "Sideways" could probably imagine).

At the end of the night we all reminisced about old times and got a nice little commemorative jersey for our trouble. My dad and I had a good laugh as I came out of the locker room and into the Pepsi Center atrium with a sheepish look on my face. The whole time on the bench I just kept looking around going "wow! I'm on the same ice surface the Avs were on just an hour ago!" It's strange, but the Pepsi Center actually looked smaller to me from down there than in my usual seats. At the very least it made me want even more to get back to the ice in a more regular capacity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:57 am 
He of the red stockings

Must have been an awesome experience, though too bad you didn't feel you played well
All of us who play defense keep track of our +/-, and like you said it's not always your fault
I would say yeah, keep trying to get on the ice, I've not found any deck hockey experience to be equal to ice
Ice is cool 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next