OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

shoots on his right side.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:21 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Miss18.1's bantam team is not doing well. Our organization's girls U19 team is playing most games with 8-9 skaters due to girls having conflicts with other sports they play. So I had Miss18.1 cross-rostered, so she's still on the bantam team, but will also get to play with the U19 team (only had enough for 1 girls team, and even though something like 10 of the 15 girls on the roster are 14, the few older girls make it mandatory they play up in the U19 division). So now my kid's on 2 travel teams. No more $ paid out, so I'll take it, right? Then I added the 2nd team to the family calendar. Free time? What's that? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:56 am 
King of the One-Liner

how do they make out with so many young ones?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:11 pm 

Hounsy wrote:

They're doing okay so far- 5-3-1. Not sure the level of competition they've played though. I know tomorrow they play another U19 team that has some 13-14 year olds on it.

Bantam team finally won today. Very proud day for me. Miss18.1 scored the first 2 goals of the game, and then went on to get 3 assists. Who passes after they have 2 goals? Certainly not me. :lol: In true 18-family fashion, she had the hat trick on her stick & rang it off the post. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

They're doing okay so far- 5-3-1. Not sure the level of competition they've played though. I know tomorrow they play another U19 team that has some 13-14 year olds on it.

Bantam team finally won today. Very proud day for me. Miss18.1 scored the first 2 goals of the game, and then went on to get 3 assists. Who passes after they have 2 goals? Certainly not me. :lol: In true 18-family fashion, she had the hat trick on her stick & rang it off the post. :lol:

Nice :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Nice :lol:

She's inherited my nickname- Postmaster General.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm 

Miss18.2 asked what she had to do to be as good as her big sister (who is 6 years older). I told her stickhandle 5 minutes a day. She did for 2 days and scored in her next game. It's almost like I know what I'm doing. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 am 
King of the One-Liner

starting to look through the spring/summer camp options for my son. Think I will have him do two one week camps to help him be ready for his league debut in the fall. Will have him continue with the tough love coaching that is his current power skating coaches(literally the waiver you sign says your child needs to be in good physical and MENTAL health :lol: ) for their one week skating and stick handling on and off ice camp and one week with the fun times local hockey school just to give him a break and keep his interest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:07 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
starting to look through the spring/summer camp options for my son. Think I will have him do two one week camps to help him be ready for his league debut in the fall. Will have him continue with the tough love coaching that is his current power skating coaches(literally the waiver you sign says your child needs to be in good physical and MENTAL health :lol: ) for their one week skating and stick handling on and off ice camp and one week with the fun times local hockey school just to give him a break and keep his interest.

That sounds perfect.

If I may give a little other advice, have him stickhandle/shoot for 5 or so minutes a day. I spent a long time talking to a former NHLer at a coaching conference, and he agreed with what a few other high level coaches I've known have said- the camps will help a little, but at a big $ layout. Stickhandling/shooting for 5 minutes/day will keep their interests all year long, they start to try new things, they don't realize they're getting better, and they start getting so comfortable with doing it they look up instead of looking down at the puck, which is a major difference at all age levels. Just some unsolicited advice who spent years getting his older kid skating perfectly, and ignoring stickhandling. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:54 pm 
King of the One-Liner

well it is rare if a day goes by these days that him and the neighbor kids don't play ball hockey in the drive way for at least half an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
well it is rare if a day goes by these days that him and the neighbor kids don't play ball hockey in the drive way for at least half an hour.

If only that had helped me learn to skate with my head up :lol: Playing out on the ice rather than in net might have helped...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:43 am 

Hounsy wrote:

Awesome! My neighborhood looks post-apocalypse other than our yard. We've got a frigging rink in the yard & none of the other kids will come over to skate, even the kid who plays hockey. Video games... Phooey.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 am 

I know hockey parents are crazy, but last night was the first time it really hit home for me. Miss 18.1's bantam team played a home/home vs a comparable team this weekend. We tied 6-6 on Saturday, with us tying it with 48 seconds left. Sunday's game was one of the most physical games I've ever seen in bantam, with a few boarding calls, quite a few roughing calls... I didn't hear this personally (good thing), but I saw some of our parents going back & forth against the other team's parents verbally. Apparently Miss18.1 was taking the puck up ice when one of their mothers yelled "Hit her! Hurt her! Take her out of the game!!!" Miss 18.1 heard this, and was pretty rattled. She told me about it on the way home (also a good thing). I had to explain to my 13 year old daughter that some "adults" are bat shit crazy, and don't put any thought into what they say, especially at sports events. She reminded me it's a YOUTH sports event, and I had nothing to say besides "some people are losers." What can you say to the kid? I tried telling her it's because she's good, and their parents were frustrated. It's a bunch of really rich people, who don't like seeing their kids checked, no matter how cleanly. I kept telling our team to hit hard, but clean, and not get involved in the BS trash talking. Then their parents yell shit like that? Fucking disgrace.

They had one of those "you always think you've seen it all" moments. Kid hit our goalie well after the whistle and got 2 minutes. He began yelling at the ref like nothing I've ever seen. Went completely mental. Put his arms out so he couldn't be pushed into the box, screaming, crying, etc. Finally got pushed in (by BOTH refs), and proceeded to throw his helmet, hitting his team mate with it, who then started hitting him. Coach tried climbing over the glass to calm things down and took a few shots to his head from both kids. So the kid got a 2nd minor. Later on, he got another minor, flipped even worse, and was thrown out, again, having to be pushed off the ice by both refs. Nuttier than squirrel shit! He obviously should have been tossed the first time, and the kid obviously has real issues and should not be playing a sport where he's got a stick in his hands and blades on his feet. Terrible job by the refs to let him stay in the first time. After the game their coach & the refs were talking about "the last time" they had to throw him out, and how this wasn't as bad. Fucking really? Wow.

We play them in Game 1 of our tournament next week. Should be "interesting" to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I know hockey parents are crazy, but last night was the first time it really hit home for me. Miss 18.1's bantam team played a home/home vs a comparable team this weekend. We tied 6-6 on Saturday, with us tying it with 48 seconds left. Sunday's game was one of the most physical games I've ever seen in bantam, with a few boarding calls, quite a few roughing calls... I didn't hear this personally (good thing), but I saw some of our parents going back & forth against the other team's parents verbally. Apparently Miss18.1 was taking the puck up ice when one of their mothers yelled "Hit her! Hurt her! Take her out of the game!!!" Miss 18.1 heard this, and was pretty rattled. She told me about it on the way home (also a good thing). I had to explain to my 13 year old daughter that some "adults" are bat shit crazy, and don't put any thought into what they say, especially at sports events. She reminded me it's a YOUTH sports event, and I had nothing to say besides "some people are losers." What can you say to the kid? I tried telling her it's because she's good, and their parents were frustrated. It's a bunch of really rich people, who don't like seeing their kids checked, no matter how cleanly. I kept telling our team to hit hard, but clean, and not get involved in the BS trash talking. Then their parents yell shit like that? Fucking disgrace.

They had one of those "you always think you've seen it all" moments. Kid hit our goalie well after the whistle and got 2 minutes. He began yelling at the ref like nothing I've ever seen. Went completely mental. Put his arms out so he couldn't be pushed into the box, screaming, crying, etc. Finally got pushed in (by BOTH refs), and proceeded to throw his helmet, hitting his team mate with it, who then started hitting him. Coach tried climbing over the glass to calm things down and took a few shots to his head from both kids. So the kid got a 2nd minor. Later on, he got another minor, flipped even worse, and was thrown out, again, having to be pushed off the ice by both refs. Nuttier than squirrel shit! He obviously should have been tossed the first time, and the kid obviously has real issues and should not be playing a sport where he's got a stick in his hands and blades on his feet. Terrible job by the refs to let him stay in the first time. After the game their coach & the refs were talking about "the last time" they had to throw him out, and how this wasn't as bad. Fucking really? Wow.

We play them in Game 1 of our tournament next week. Should be "interesting" to say the least.

Man, that's crazy.

I hear guys on my own team talking about crazy parents,on their team of 7-8 year olds.

I remember an incident with my older brother's team where one parent was just being a total asshole. One of Moms on my bro's team walked over and basically told the guy to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up. She was a correctional officer :lol: Not a peep from the guy after.

Guy I used to play with, assistant coaching 14 year old AAA kids was just grabbed by the throat and pushed up against a wall by one of the team's parents and the opposing coach had to pull him off. Assault charges. Steve's pretty small, can't be more than 5'6", and the kids on the team love him. Looks like the asshole tried to pick an easy target.

My younger bro played with a guy whose family got assistance from the town for playing. His alcoholic Dad showed up to a game one night hammered with a baseball bat and went after the coach. I think the coach took him down. That one ended up with the cops there but don't think it resulted it any charges.

Some people are just fucking crazy. Just...you don't even know how it gets to that point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:35 am 
King of the One-Liner

Not as vicious situatuib, but what kinda cracks me up is the crazy hockey parents screaming their heads off for/against calls or how their kids team should play and they are completely wrong. They clearly have a pretty minimal understanding of the game of hockey but that is not going to prevent them from losing their minds when they are wrong about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:18 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Not as vicious situatuib, but what kinda cracks me up is the crazy hockey parents screaming their heads off for/against calls or how their kids team should play and they are completely wrong. They clearly have a pretty minimal understanding of the game of hockey but that is not going to prevent them from losing their minds when they are wrong about it.

I'd say 99.9% of the ones yelling haven't got a clue. Usually people who played, or at least know the game, are sitting off to the side quietly watching. It's a real shame how people just lose their shit at youth sports events. I've probably coached like 400+ games at this point, and I can count on one hand the times I've yelled at a ref. Some people view it as their duty, not even a right. We've got a few parents who love to abuse refs, and none of them know the game. Or any game I think. I can't recall any of those people having stories about when they played ______. It's like old burnouts and nerds show up at a game and think this is how they're supposed to act because it's what they see on TV. When parents try to give alternative directions I approach them after the game and ask how many years they played and/or coached. When they say 0, I tell them to keep that their volume level as well. It works, for a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Son played his official game on ice today and scored a goal in his teams romp, he was awarded the game puck and was thrilled. Super impressed with his buddy who gift wrapped him the goal instead of potting it easily himself, you know a kid is crazy good when he has that kind of awareness around the net at eight years old.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am 
King of the One-Liner

Not Hockey, but coaching little league(2007, 2008 birth year) this summer which I guess will have lots of similar experiences. Ended up with a team with lots of new to baseball kids to match the new to baseball coaching Dad, but so far so good. Lost the first six games of the season but we have now won three in a row and the kids are improving and more importantly they know it. My son has really stepped up this year and is playing top notch, he does not have the size and power of most kids his age, but makes up for it with good swing technique and sweet spot contact. Also think it might just makes it easier to coach when your own kid is a good example of how to play and gets results.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:26 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Son played his official game on ice today and scored a goal in his teams romp, he was awarded the game puck and was thrilled. Super impressed with his buddy who gift wrapped him the goal instead of potting it easily himself, you know a kid is crazy good when he has that kind of awareness around the net at eight years old.

Hadn't seen this before- that's awesome!

Baseball sounding good too. You're doing a great job! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:38 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Finished the regular season 11-9 and third place. Been a lot of fun seeing kids improve as much as they have.

We had no rain outs all season so they gave us two exhibitions games this week to play on the dates reserved for rain out games. Well tonight's final exhibition game is a rain out, just to add some irony to our day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next