OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:07 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
Finished the regular season 11-9 and third place. Been a lot of fun seeing kids improve as much as they have.

We had no rain outs all season so they gave us two exhibitions games this week to play on the dates reserved for rain out games. Well tonight's final exhibition game is a rain out, just to add some irony to our day.

Well done on the season, and that's some awesome irony on the rain out! :lol:

Looks like Miss 18.1 may be done with youth hockey. Her former bantam team is such a debacle due to kids leaving over their crazy parents, that they are only going to have one team this year, instead of the usual A & B teams. It's going to be such a range of talent, that figuring out how to make up or run the lines is going to be impossible. And Miss 18.1 hates the idea of being on a team with 18 skaters, after years of being on a team with 11 skaters. So she's opting to play high school hockey only. They've done away with "freshman" teams in NY and maybe other states, now calling it "modified". It basically means 7-9 graders, so I'm not sure why they did away with the Freshman name. But our school has either this modified or varsity team. As of now, she's trying for varsity. The kid weights like 110 lbs, is still only 13 and wants to play varsity??? I'm terrified for her, but glad to finally not have to coach her. She's done listening to me, and it's about time someone who will sit her for entire games if she's not pulling her weight will be her coach. But yeesh. Some of the kids are huge! She could be playing against 18 year old boys, who are like 6', 200 lbs! :shock: Most of the high school games I've seen, the guys take it a little easy on the opposing girls, but not always. I'm almost hoping her dreams are dashed & she gets put on the modified team. Except that she hates most of the kids on that team, and their lack of caring about the team. They had a few pre-season practices and she was furious with them, which is what prompted her to move herself to the varsity side. I'm praying to the hockey gods she stays safe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:40 am 
OTP Historian

Hoping she stays safe too, Chris! Sounds like she's got great drive, though!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 am 

Bosc wrote:
Hoping she stays safe too, Chris! Sounds like she's got great drive, though!

Partially. She's working out like a beast. But stickhandling & shooting practice? Meh. They're apparently for sissies! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:49 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Hudson has made his choice for the upcoming season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:46 pm 

Goalie junior huh? Awesome!

I had a breakthrough moment with my older daughter the other day. I finally just said without any emotion in my voice "sorry kid, but you're just not good enough to play varsity. You don't practice the stuff everyone has told you to practice, so you're just not good enough. If you start doing 10 minutes a day now, maybe, maybe you'll make the team. Maybe." She's been practicing like 30 minutes a day since. She's as stubborn as, well, ME! Tell her she can't do something, and she'll die trying.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:16 am 
OTP Historian

Nice, Hounsy and Chris!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So in my little bit of goalie coaching experience this year what I have found is night and day difference between trying to run drills and maintain attention spans between kids in Novice(2008 and 2009) and Atom(2006 and 2009) aged kids. I already kinda dread hitting the ice with the younger kids as I feel it is a gong show, where as with the older ones I feel good each time about progress that is made with them.

Hudson had a taste of glory in his game yesterday as he made a couple of big glove saves and then basked in the fan applause and team stick taps before the draw, but made it difficult for his mean goalie coach dad after to reinforce the things he should have done differently in the post game talk. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:18 am 

Hounsy wrote:
So in my little bit of goalie coaching experience this year what I have found is night and day difference between trying to run drills and maintain attention spans between kids in Novice(2008 and 2009) and Atom(2006 and 2009) aged kids. I already kinda dread hitting the ice with the younger kids as I feel it is a gong show, where as with the older ones I feel good each time about progress that is made with them.

Hudson had a taste of glory in his game yesterday as he made a couple of big glove saves and then basked in the fan applause and team stick taps before the draw, but made it difficult for his mean goalie coach dad after to reinforce the things he should have done differently in the post game talk. :lol:

"Drills" with kids that young are really tough. You get like 5 minutes to do a drill before they lose focus, if that. So do more fun stuff, or find ways to make it fun. I had a young goalie who pretended to be sick whenever I tried to run any drills. So I made things up. He insisted on trying to be a butterfly style goalie (which I find hilarious at the atom age, since any kid who can lift the puck over 1' will score a ton on them), but I figured I'd go with it and instead of having him "practice" one-leg butterflies, I had him "slide into home" going left & right. He got really good at it and would do it for an entire practice if I let him. :lol: I've found Simon Says to be a fun way to get kids to do stuff, especially goalies. One of the toughest things about coaching kids that young is trying to maintain your dignity & get them to have fun & be interested. I said "screw dignity" long ago. I goof around with the little ones, and save the serious side for the older kids. Just some unsolicited advice. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:15 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Experience my first bad parents moments in a game Hudson was in and it was the parents from our team. One guy starts barking at the refs then another joins in shortly followed by two mothers and this triggered one of the kids to get a little goonish...took all of about 7-8 minutes to go from good time watching the kids to sad and embarrassed. Kids did get their first win with Hudson playing the whole game but the distractions ruined the experience for me. Good thing Hudson didn't care and was happy. Oh this is 9-10 year old house league hockey. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hounsy wrote:
Experience my first bad parents moments in a game Hudson was in and it was the parents from our team. One guy starts barking at the refs then another joins in shortly followed by two mothers and this triggered one of the kids to get a little goonish...took all of about 7-8 minutes to go from good time watching the kids to sad and embarrassed. Kids did get their first win with Hudson playing the whole game but the distractions ruined the experience for me. Good thing Hudson didn't care and was happy. Oh this is 9-10 year old house league hockey. :roll:

Yeah...amazing how quickly some can come unhinged. Haven't coached in over 20 years because of how awful the parents were the last time around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:39 am 

One of the older guys I coach with put it best: "I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I could just find an orphanage with a hockey team in need of a coach." The kids are almost never the problem. 99% of the time it's the parents.

Do your best to forget the idiots who think they're at an NHL game. Enjoy Hudson's playing time and let the rest go shit in their hats. That said, I know it's impossible to forget the idiots. I enjoy asking them if their kid is in a contract year, or other snarky things like that.

Unrelated to that, my kids have both had games now. Younger is still a mite, playing cross-ice. She insists on playing defense every shift, and will switch with whomever is on D. She says she likes it, but I have a feeling it's more about not having to chase the puck all over. :lol: I made a deal with her that if she scores a goal she gets a "Cup o' Noodles" from the snack shack. She loves them & my wife won't allow them in the house. :lol:

The older one played her first game of the season- she's 13 (14 in 2 weeks), playing on a U19 girls team. Quite a few of the girls on the team drive themselves to practices & games, so there's quite an age range. She more than held her own in their first game yesterday, even earning PK time from the head coach who was impressed with her tenacity. :Butch:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

Haha playing with girls driving themselves...crazy. Does the size range show as much as the age?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:57 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Haha playing with girls driving themselves...crazy. Does the size range show as much as the age?

Yes & no. The one girl who was already 18 is smaller than my 13 year old, who as you can probably imagine, isn't exactly going to be tall by any stretch. But there are also 2 17 year olds who tower over the other girls. As far as strength- it varies big time. A few of them workout a lot and play other sports, and it shows. A few don't do anything else physical besides hockey. And it shows. I was worried my daughter would be easily pushed around given that she's going against girls 5-6 years older, but she held her own this weekend. There isn't checking, but they pin each other to the boards and can rub someone out, as long as there isn't a checking motion along with it. Like any sport, there are going to be some big opponents now & then, so she'll have to use her speed & improve her deception. She made it through a year of bantam last year against some big goons, so she should be alright here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Wow, 13 on a U19? That's a huge gap in age and potentially physical maturity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:03 am 

Bosc wrote:
Wow, 13 on a U19? That's a huge gap in age and potentially physical maturity.

She'll be 14 in 2 weeks, but yeah it's a big gap. Although, girls mature earlier than boys (physically and certainly mentally), so she isn't that far behind overall. But we don't have any younger team. They used to be a U14 but as the majority of the girls grew up, they'd have aged out of the program. When the 1 goalie aged out of U14, they tried to bump up to U16, but didn't have enough players. They had quite a few 18 year old girls try to register, so they jumped to U19 so they could all play. My daughter is the 2nd fastest on the team, so she's holding her own. So far. She's also been well coached all along (buffs nails on shirt), so she's ahead of most on fundamentals.

The one time she said she felt the difference was when a girl pinned her against the boards. She said she had no chance of getting free. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:03 pm 

Girls hockey should allow checking. The amount of stick work is insane. Crosschecking from behind, tons of slashing, etc. Let them check and end that shit.

Coaching girls is really different. Some act like they'll die if they lose while others have 0 fux to give and are laughing after giving up goals. I've never seen such a range within 1 team before.

Miss 18.1 scored today. Lost 4-1 but she played great, and has already worked her way onto the top line & PK. Also been used on D when the other D were letting opponents blow by them. Great to see her making a good impression, especially given she's the youngest. Team has 4 goals through 3 games and she's got 1G & 1A. Not that I keep track or anything, but she's also a +2. But I don't keep track... :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 am 
OTP Historian

Great stuff, Chris!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 pm 

I hate referees. Well, certain referees. Had a player tripped (pitchfork style stab to the back of her skates), and while falling her stick hit the tripper in the helmet. Our player got called for high sticking, as she fell backwards. They scored on the PP.

Later, their player jumped out of the box with 1-2 seconds remaining in her penalty, I yelled to the refs to look at the clock, neither did, that player flew in for a breakaway & scored.

Lost 3-2. And this was at home. :lol: So much for home town refs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:26 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I leave refs alone no matter what, they are going to be bias so may as well be the one one the good end of that stick I always figure and I do think I get more bad calls for than against.

My Son last week played the intermission of the ice dogs game only five minutes on ice but he made two save and one a nice one in the 0-0 tie and had a great time hanging with bones the mascot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Good form!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next