OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:52 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I have my first foray into coaching an all girls team. While coaching coed teams I've always found the girls to be the most attentive and respectful players toward coaches. This all girls team is like herding cats. I was in mid-explanation of a drill when a girl yelled out "you have green gloves! I used to have green gloves!" As they finished some drills they would lay down at the back of the line. I was speechless. It's just a spring league so I'm not going to blow a gasket over it, but I've never seen anything like it in kids older than mites. (They're 14 and under)
I asked if this is an all ADHD girls team but was told no, that's just how girls teams are. Wow. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:04 am 
OTP Historian

:shock: Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:20 pm 

Bosc wrote:
:shock: Good luck!

Thanks! I was actually hoping to use this as a way of convincing Miss18.1 to play U14 (all girls - no checking) next year instead of going to play bantam, which is checking. These girls are not helping my cause!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So my son is going to play Ball Hockey with a local hockey school that runs a one month(15-game/instructional) league through mid May to mid April. Maybe this will get him the bug to play on ice next year, fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:13 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
So my son is going to play Ball Hockey with a local hockey school that runs a one month(15-game/instructional) league through mid May to mid April. Maybe this will get him the bug to play on ice next year, fingers crossed.

How old is he now?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm 
King of the One-Liner

He will be eight this summer. Right now he is more excited to be starting Baseball than Hockey.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
He will be eight this summer. Right now he is more excited to be starting Baseball than Hockey.

Cheaper than being a goalie :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:50 pm 

He'll come around when he sees how much fun it is.

Practice with some street hockey at home - and let him score on you a lot. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Practice with some street hockey at home - and let him score on you a lot. :lol:

Pfft. How's he supposed to get better like that?

(Hounsy would appreciate this)

https://youtu.be/97KHec5roaM?t=142

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

In the very beginning, it's about building confidence & having fun, not actually getting better. Getting better will come with time and practice. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

In the very beginning, it's about building confidence & having fun, not actually getting better. Getting better will come with time and practice. :D

I know, I just figured that Hounsy would appreciate some Phil Dunphy.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:32 pm 

Bosc wrote:

I know, I just figured that Hounsy would appreciate some Phil Dunphy.

Okay. Wasn't sure if you Canadians believed in tough hockey love. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Man, young Hudson Hounsham is already turning EIGHT!? I have been on here a long time...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:44 pm 

1 practice in and the parents have started. Get a fucking life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 am 

Miss 18.2's mite team played an intermission mini-game at the Bridgeport Sound Tigers game last night. Awesome time! Only 7 kids showed up, which kind of sucked since there are 18 on her team, but the 7 families who went had a blast. Miss 18.2 opened the scoring with her first goal of this year, scored on one of our other coaches. The nowhere near sellout crowd of about 1k, cheered, or maybe some didn't. Who cares? Miss 18.2 remembers the PA announcer yelling "and #71 scoooooooooores!" :D I thought the other coach was going to make a skate save on it, and I was about to charge him right there on the ice. :lol:

Great time. Great seats. 2 rows behind the Sound Tigers bench, with nobody sitting in the front row. They keep those seats clear so the equipment kid can run back & forth with dry gloves for some of the prima donas. As my wife said "We're so close I can smell the players' equipment. Fucking gross. You want the rest of this?" You know the seats are good when appetites are lost.

Sound Tigers won on a breakaway in OT. Miss18.1 had started most of the small crowd with a Let's Go Tigers chant, and feels she is personally responsible for propelling the players to victory. Okay sure!

Met Eric Cairns after the game by accident in a hallway. Nice guy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So after more or less resigning myself this fall that my Son is not going to be a hockey player last weekend he saw two of his buddies play and then and enjoyed a public skate mid week he declared Thursday he wants to play hockey now. So this afternoon he had his first full equipment power skating class and it was just fantastic what one hour of professional regimented instruction can do. Also proud of him as when he came of the ice and asked him how it was he said "The teachers are strict but I think that is a good thing"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:30 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
So after more or less resigning myself this fall that my Son is not going to be a hockey player last weekend he saw two of his buddies play last weekend and enjoyed a public skate mid week he declared Thursday he wants to play hockey now. So this afternoon he had his first full equipment power skating class and it was just fantastic amazing what one hour of professional regimented instruction can do. Also proud of him as when he came of the ice and asked him how it was he said "The teachers are strict but I think that is a good thing"

Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
So after more or less resigning myself this fall that my Son is not going to be a hockey player last weekend he saw two of his buddies play and then and enjoyed a public skate mid week he declared Thursday he wants to play hockey now. So this afternoon he had his first full equipment power skating class and it was just fantastic what one hour of professional regimented instruction can do. Also proud of him as when he came of the ice and asked him how it was he said "The teachers are strict but I think that is a good thing"

Nice :D How old is Hudson now?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:41 am 
King of the One-Liner

He is eight now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hounsy wrote:
He is eight now.

Out of curiosity is he right handed or left? In hockey that is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next