OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:45 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy, how big are your pads?

34 + 2 which is stock size for Simmons Ultra line so nothing that is ridiculous in reality. For a forty year old my B-fly width is good so don't need to up the thigh rise as most custom gear orders tend to do.

How tall are you? I'm a little over 6' and I think I'm 35+2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

34 + 2 which is stock size for Simmons Ultra line so nothing that is ridiculous in reality. For a forty year old my B-fly width is good so don't need to up the thigh rise as most custom gear orders tend to do.

5'10" Though I believe the you have Koho/RBK pads which fit an inch bigger. 35 RBK fits like a 36 Vaughn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

5'10" Though I believe the you have Koho/RBK pads which fit an inch bigger. 35 RBK fits like a 36 Vaughn.

Yup, Koho 590s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Ha! No suspension. Now to get that ref disciplined! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:16 am 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:

That makes you the John Tortorella18 of your league, no?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:27 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That makes you the John Tortorella18 of your league, no?

Did Torts get the $30k fine reduced?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:50 am 

Great time at a group event today: Took in a Soundtigers game with the kids' team & they got to play a scrimmage on the arena ice afterward. Pretty cool to see my players on the bench some pros were just on.

The memories they'll all share: Skating on a pro rink. The blood frozen in the corner ice. Trevor Gillies getting a massive cut on his forehead during a fight that continued long after the linesmen tried to break it up. And one of the aunts getting hit in the head with a puck during the Soundtigers game. She was waiting in the gate to return to her seat with food for the kids & never saw it coming. Lucky it hit above her eye & didn't hit the eye itself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm 

Kids came from behind to tie 1st tourney game. :D Played like honey badgers on ice! If only I could capture that magic for every game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:42 pm 

Think I said people should punch me in the face if I said I was coaching this year. Knuckle up! :doom:

Should be a better year. Told my kid she's sleeping in the shed all winter if she gets stuck on the B team. She believes me. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 am 

In news about people who are actually playing hockey- my kids won their first game 6-3. Second year player I call Ladies Man had 2 goals & 2 ridiculously over the top goal celebrations. :lol: My kid missed a few narrowly, one of which was a blind pass from the corner into the crease area which deflected off the d-man's skate inches wide of the net. Close but no :clint: .

Looking over the schedule I'm amazed- 37-41 games (4 game difference is if we are out of our 2 tourneys in 1st round or advance to finals- better be 41 games!). When I was a kid we'd play like 20 games/season and were lucky to have 1 practice/week once games started. Now we have 2 practices/week throughout the entire season, plus all those games. No wonder kids are getting better, faster. Oh to be a kid again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:50 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So now both kids are in skating class and realized they should have Hockey jersey's to wear. So now the problem was what kind of Jersey? Most of the Kids around here just wear what ever team their Dad likes but I'm not cool with causing the the curse of being a Leaf fan to span generations. Thought I'd let them pick but want to give jersey's as Christmas presents so would like to surprise them. Then the obvious answer hit me Niagara Ice dogs jersey, local team and they have been to a game before. On top of that they really are kinda cool jerseys for kids. very happy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hounsy wrote:
So now both kids are in skating class and realized they should have Hockey jersey's to wear. So now the problem was what kind of Jersey? Most of the Kids around here just wear what ever team their Dad likes but I'm not cool with causing the the curse of being a Leaf fan to span generations. Thought I'd let them pick but want to give jersey's as Christmas presents so would like to surprise them. Then the obvious answer hit me Niagara Ice dogs jersey, local team and they have been to a game before. On top of that they really are kinda cool jerseys for kids. very happy.

That's an AWESOME jersey! Absolutely, I'd go with that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:27 pm 

Awesome choice! Not overly kiddie, but also not some snarling, toothy beast.

I was thinking of some USA Hockey jerseys, but damn are they pricey. Can't find imitation ones. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 am 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah not cheap, paid $230 after tax for two kids jerseys. At least with NHL teams you can find knock offs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Yeah not cheap, paid $230 after tax for two kids jerseys. At least with NHL teams you can find knock offs.

Good point.

I was trying to find some AHL knockoffs. Not happening. But- you can look around on Ebay & find the embroidered crests. I got the AHL team crest (paid $15 + shipping) & closest NHL "practice" jersey ($32 for uncrested) & have an AHL knockoff (plus getting Grandma to sew the crest on). Kind of annoying to go through all that, but not horrible. Colors are slightly off if you really look, but overall I saved like $65.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:12 pm 

Found a junior shaft in the garbage big enough for the kid. She hated the grip though. I looked all around the hindernet for ways of removing the grip. Best bet seemed to be sanding, so I figured the shaft was free... Sanded the grip off no problem, but the finish also got mostly removed, since the shaft isn't really rectangular- the sidewalls are all concave. Thought the kid would hate it, but she loves the new "custom matte finish". I just kinda hope it doesn't remove any durability. But, it was free except for the blade & that wasn't touched.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 pm 

Older daughter's team played a kick-ass outdoor game in a tournament yesterday. Snowing like hell, wind ripping... Old school youth hockey! Parents who didn't play as kids were whining, a few kids started off complaining... I loved every second of it. Snow on the players backs on the bench. Bench itself was slippery as hell. Got to teach the players how to dig for the puck in 2" of snow, to lift passes to beat the friction... Great day. Best part- we won carried on my daughter's two goals. her first multi-goal game. Huge smile all day.
Made it to the finals (and lost, but whatever, that was today on an indoor rink, so that's boring). I'll always remember this tourney as when we had our own Winter Classic during the lockout.
Eat shit NHL. Hockey is alive & very well. You have nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 pm 

I have nicknamed one of my players Niagara, because he is best known for his falls. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hey Chris, you or any of your kids play here?

https://twitter.com/michellereger/statu ... 35/photo/1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 pm 

Ha. I used to play on there when I was a kid but these days it's difficult to find access to Lake Douchebag. You've got to have s snooty friend with lakefront property and well, for some reason I can't hang with any of them.

That said, using the snow blower on the lake to clear a rink is awesome! Another local lake used to get plowed by the town when I was a kid. That kicked ass!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next