OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 am 
He of the red stockings

it's funny, so many people have more trouble crossing over aggressively to their right (myself included)
a result of counter clockwise public skating perhaps :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Maybe lefties feel more comfortable crossing over to their left.

My team is up to 14-4-1 and a slim two point hold on first overall. Wass still dead last in the goals for department at the last standings update when we where 12-4-1 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

My team is up to 14-4-1 and a slim two point hold on first overall. Wass still dead last in the goals for department at the last standings update when we where 12-4-1 :lol:

Could be. Just take a look at how many guys do the fastest skater competition crossing over left instead of right. I think Ovechkin did right, and I think one other guy did. Add to that the fact that like 70+% of the league shoots left(as of NHL2002 anyways).

I hate wheeling back behind the net to pick up the puck turning right to grab the puck and skate up. I love doing it turning left though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hounsy wrote:

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 am 
He of the red stockings

Are you guys lefties? I kind of usually assume you're righties (though I'm a lefty)
I still think there's something to the public skating thing :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:30 am 
King of the One-Liner

I am not a freak that should be shunned by society. I am a righty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

Gotta flip the stick over? What curve do you use?

I shoot left. My Dad, a right-shooting non-goalie, raised 3 left-shooting goalies. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 am 

hipcheck wrote:
Are you guys lefties? I kind of usually assume you're righties (though I'm a lefty)

Well, I am left-handed but I'm a right-handed shot...I was always told your stick hand is the opposite your writing hand, but I could be wrong about that.

You could be right about the public skating.

Took to the ice at DU's practice rink with the new skates...I have a lot of work to do before the alumni game. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
hipcheck wrote:

Well, I am left-handed but I'm a right-handed shot...I was always told your stick hand is the opposite your writing hand, but I could be wrong about that.

Took to the ice at DU's practice rink with the new skates...I have a lot of work to do before the alumni game. :?

Sorry, should have said that I'm right-handed but shoot left. Golf lefty too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:49 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
hipcheck wrote:

Sorry, should have said that I'm right-handed but shoot left. Golf lefty too.

I too am left handed, but shoot right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:39 pm 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Gotta flip the stick over? What curve do you use?

I shoot left. My Dad, a right-shooting non-goalie, raised 3 left-shooting goalies. Go figure.

I catch left and shoot left. Not really a stickler to a curve pattern. For some reason I seem to randomly alternate between standard hold and "Turco" hold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 am 
He of the red stockings

Av-merican wrote:

I'd say that's wrong ... otherwise, hockey rinks would be full of 90% left-handed shots, and it's really more like 50/50

However the prevalence of right handed goalies shooting left-handed is very common, simply because they're used to catching with their left

I am also right handed (primarily, though I'm partially ambidextrous) and shoot left handed (I was told it's so I could check with my right shoulder ...as a young boy, by my father who could not skate and came from a state where no one knew about hockey)

What's funny is hockey is the only sport where it's not that hard to switch .... I've tried shooting right handed, and if I wanted to switch
I could probably do it in time. I've known at least 2 players who were frustrated and tried shooting the other way and never looked back

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:48 am 
He of the red stockings

I thought we had a discussion going in here on tongues out or in, as in skate tongues under the shin guards or over
I couldn't find any of those posts, so maybe it was in a different section

anyways, I tried tongues in again tonight, and again it took me twice as long to get dressed
I just can't figure out how to do it
once the hockey pants were on, I put the socks on, and left them around my ankles
I put my skates on, and tied them as tight as I could, then put the shin guards on over the tongues
however, my shin guards are narrow at the bottom, so the tongues don't really fit under them that well
I got the feeling that I was leaving play in the shin guards because they were away from my shins at the bottom
Also, it felt like the shin guard was driving the tongue against my ankle on one skate
Once we got playing, I didn't notice them ... which is a plus, because I usually have to re-tighten my skates after one shift
and each time I've skated tongues under, I haven't had to
I was however, acutely aware of the tongue rubbing against my ankle the whole night

I don't know ... I was thinking skating with tongues out all these years was the reason I always had to re-tighten my skates
And the 2 times I skated tongues in kind of confirmed that, as I didn't have to re-tighten them
But I don't know if it's worth the extra dressing time, and the annoyance of the tongue rubbing my ankles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 pm 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
I thought we had a discussion going in here on tongues out or in, as in skate tongues under the shin guards or over
I couldn't find any of those posts, so maybe it was in a different section

anyways, I tried tongues in again tonight, and again it took me twice as long to get dressed
I just can't figure out how to do it
once the hockey pants were on, I put the socks on, and left them around my ankles
I put my skates on, and tied them as tight as I could, then put the shin guards on over the tongues
however, my shin guards are narrow at the bottom, so the tongues don't really fit under them that well
I got the feeling that I was leaving play in the shin guards because they were away from my shins at the bottom
Also, it felt like the shin guard was driving the tongue against my ankle on one skate
Once we got playing, I didn't notice them ... which is a plus, because I usually have to re-tighten my skates after one shift
and each time I've skated tongues under, I haven't had to
I was however, acutely aware of the tongue rubbing against my ankle the whole night

I don't know ... I was thinking skating with tongues out all these years was the reason I always had to re-tighten my skates
And the 2 times I skated tongues in kind of confirmed that, as I didn't have to re-tighten them
But I don't know if it's worth the extra dressing time, and the annoyance of the tongue rubbing my ankles

Socks on first, leave em around the ankles, put on shin pads, pull up the socks...then the pants go on. Pull up the shin pads a bit and put on skates and do em up, then pull the shin pads over the tongue. Tape em up. Easy! Why put the pants on before socks and shin pads?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:08 pm 
He of the red stockings

Aha, I see the problem here ... you're using tape to hold your shin guards in place :doh:
I have thick straps on mine, and they hold so firmly that there's little chance of moving the guards up and over once they're strapped

I don't put the pants on first, I always put the shin guards on first, then socks, then pants
But if I was going to put the shin guards over my skate tongues, I knew I'd have to put the skates on first
Therefore, I had to put the pants on before that (unless I wanted to try to pull them on over my skates - and I don't)
with my old shin guards, it probably would have worked - the straps were so stretched out, I was using tape anyways
And they still shifted around constantly ... they were also wide enough at the bottom to cover the tongue
Hmm ... maybe that would have stopped them from shifting :colbert:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:55 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Aha, I see the problem here ... you're using tape to hold your shin guards in place :doh:
I have thick straps on mine, and they hold so firmly that there's little chance of moving the guards up and over once they're strapped

I've got straps on my new ones, I still just tape it at the ankle and knee so the sock won't move and keep any chance of the pad moving.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 am 

Man I haven't used strapped shin pads for a VERY long time on ice, of course I used them in roller hockey, and my knees have paid the price many times. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:10 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

hipcheck wrote:

I knew I'd have to put the skates on first
Therefore, I had to put the pants on before that (unless I wanted to try to pull them on over my skates - and I don't)

I always used to put my pants on before skates, but I now find it much easier to put socks, skates, shin guards, then put on the pants.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:55 pm 
He of the red stockings

Your skates don't rip the back of the pants? Or are they already "vented"? :)

Av-merican wrote:
Man I haven't used strapped shin pads for a VERY long time on ice, of course I used them in roller hockey, and my knees have paid the price many times. :x

not sure what you mean ... did the strapped ones not hold the pad in place well enough
mine don't move at all ... there's just one wide strap that wraps around the calf, and small one that wraps under the knee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm 

hipcheck wrote:
not sure what you mean ... did the strapped ones not hold the pad in place well enough
mine don't move at all ... there's just one wide strap that wraps around the calf, and small one that wraps under the knee

The elastic on the straps has stretched enough so that the pads would occasionally and conveniently move to the side as I was falling. One time both the fucking pads weren't covering my knees when I took a HARD fall onto the concrete. :evil: Thankfully stuff just bruised but that fuckin' HURT. I made sure to try and get the pads strapped as tight as possible after that. Definitely using tape to hold 'em up tonight on the ice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next