OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:14 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well, I over reacted. We've won the last two games 4-2 both with empty net goals. Looks like another year of bringing the trap to beer league!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:47 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Good luck Jeff tonight against the Avs!

Fill us in tomorrow on the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:33 am 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:
Good luck Jeff tonight against the Avs!

Fill us in tomorrow on the game.

Thanks!

We beat them 5-2. The game was sloppy as fuck to start. No passes connecting, losing pucks, giving up odd-man rushes...we settled down(myself included, made a couple of bonehead plays in the first and early second because I was taking too long to make a decision with the puck). Tim made some great saves, and then we started generating some offense.

I scored my first goal in over a season after going 0 goals and 17 assists last season. I picked up our second goal. Rutzy fell or got tripped and the puck was coming towards me so I took off, moved it over to Bruce and headed for the net. He threw it on net and it was bouncing around. I had great position on the D and he had my stick so that I couldn't move it to the side and corral the puck, just had to wait for it to bounce to my stick and it did. Holmstrom goal :P

We actually only had two full lines and D sets, which is rare. We usually have more guys. 3-0 to start the season. Black and White tied 3-3.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:12 pm 

Good Show!

I have just got back home now. See you next Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:59 am 
OTP Historian

I subbed for my buddy's team last night on D. We were killing a penalty, and I ended up jumping into the play as the second man. I went to the net, and had two guys between myself and our puck carrier. My teammate was coming out of the corner and I drifted out about 6 feet off of the corner of the crease, giving him a perfect passing lane with both guys watching him. He made the perfect pass, just the right speed, right along the ice, and I wanted to get the shot off before their D and goalie could move over. My eyes were wide as the puck drifted into the right spot, I wound up, put everything I had into it for the one-timer with most of the net open...and my blade hit the ice a tiny bit late and I got only a small part of it with the heel of my blade. The puck ended up in the corner.

Damn these goalie hands. I guess 2 goals in less than a week just isn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:56 am 
OTP Historian

We won our game last Thursday 5-1. Picked up my second goal in a row, in only the third game of the season :? Had the puck in the slot, just put a wrist shot on net and our guy ran a perfect screen and it went through the goalies legs.
I was putting the puck up the middle all night but at least once it worked where I made a pass to a guy coming out of the box for a breakaway.

A team from Friday who was undefeated so far against Friday teams played Toronto from our night, the team that we always play in the Thursday finals and who hadn't won a game yet, and lost 7-1. The disparity between the two nights could be even bigger this year.

I'm handling the puck like a grenade this year and it's really frustrating. Had some gaffes yesterday in my older bro's game, but still made some decent plays defensively. Strangely enough, I'm off to my best start points-wise :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:07 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
A team from Friday who was undefeated so far against Friday teams played Toronto from our night, the team that we always play in the Thursday finals and who hadn't won a game yet, and lost 7-1. The disparity between the two nights could be even bigger this year.

Wait...you mean to say Toronto had to raid your league to finally win a game?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am 

Jeff,

I've been stuck here in Red Deer since Monday and won't be home till Sunday aft.

How did we do against the Avs tonight?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 pm 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:
Jeff,

I've been stuck here in Red Deer since Monday and won't be home till Sunday aft.

How did we do against the Avs tonight?

Sorry Scotty! Missed this one! Well, as you now know if was 5-3. I was terrible and still managed to pick up 2 assists, and made a nice deflection in front for the Avs third goal :P Right up under the bar!

We beat Toronto last night 3-1, killing off about 8 minutes in lopsided penalties calls in the third period, including a full minute of a 5-on-3.

The Barley Kings are now 7-0-1 on the year!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
The Barley Kings are now 7-0-1 on the year!

Sandbaggers!!!
;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 pm 

Well...I'll be damned. I get to play at the Pepsi Center!

http://arvada.pucksystems2.com/page/sho ... 6835/37293

Just heard about this on Facebook from an old teammate. Apparently the association I played for is celebrating it's 40th(!!!) anniversary and will be staging an alumni game following the Avs/Preds game on the 22nd. I just got a hold of the guy and I'm signed up!

I'm actually pretty stoked about this! Only problem is that I have only been on rollerblades the past 5-6 years or so and the last time I was on the ice a few months ago I was more than a little shaky. I also don't have a really viable pair of skates, so I gotta get on that pronto.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:31 am 
He of the red stockings

That's awesome Av! Yeah, get on that skate thing pronto, the better the skates, the longer it takes to break them in

I checked out your link, and saw they were offering discounted tickets to your association members ... $60 for club seats :quag:

It didn't say anything about the alumni game ... do you know who you're skating with yet? Or will they just split up the teams once
they figure out how many participants they have? Oh yeah ... do those of you playing in the alumni game also get seats for the
Avalanche game as well? That would be a sweet deal 8-)

I had a chance years ago to skate against Bruins alumni. A similar association, The Hockey Academy, was setting up a game
We had to submit an essay on what playing in the game would mean to us. I figured I had an inside track, seeing as when the
Hockey Academy took over our Hennicker NH league as a fledgling business, I helped them out by sometimes playing 3 games a night
while they were trying to fill teams. Granted, I wasn't paying for the extra games, but since I was with them from the ground floor,
I figured I had a legit shot at skating in that alumni game. I wasn't picked ... fuckers :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Busted up my right skate last night so need to go shopping.

As much as I LOVE buying gear, skates is the one thing I've dreaded having to replace. Going to try on some Graf skates tonight for starters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:28 pm 

Bought the cheapest pair of skates I could at Players Bench, $130.00. They ran as high as $550. :shock:

Even these cheapies make my last pair of skates (good ol' CCM Tacks) look ridiculously antiquated. A lot less leather, a lot more of whatever this carbon fiber crap is. A light, sturdy skate. I'm amazed every time I go shopping for equipment what new technologies are being implemented.

First pair of skates purchased in more than a decade-and-a-half! I'm super-stoked about getting back on the ice now. :rock:

Oh and as a belated answer to your question, Hip, not sure yet. I'm thinking it's not going to be much more than a glorified scrimmage, which is fine by me. Skating at the Pepsi Center is worth it no matter what they intend to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Got a decent deal on some Graf 650 elite. $299.00

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/graf-goalie ... 50-sr.html

They are baked, shaped, and sharpened. Tomorrow will see if the blisters come.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Busted up my right skate last night so need to go shopping.

What happened?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Went hard into my right post on a deke attempt(made the stop) and then felt like I demolished my edge as my right foot was slipping out all over the place after that.

Turns out my blade had gone loose in the cowling and the Bauer goal skate has no screws or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am 
He of the red stockings

sucks that you can't replace the blades &/or blade holders for those

I'm thinking I'm in need of new blades ... I have plenty left in the center, and good bit in front
but the heel is pretty much gone ... not that I skate on my heels or anything :lol:
just that in the jostling in traffic, hunting loose pucks, etc. I keep ending up losing my balance
guess that's where the heel comes in ...was going to do it tonight, then just got them sharpened instead

And we won our 2nd game of the season :toot:
2-14-2 baby :Butch:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 am 
King of the One-Liner

hipcheck wrote:
2-14-2 baby :Butch:

Oddly enough that is the same ratio I used in my holiday Turkey sandwiches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 am 
OTP Historian

Dammit, we have an equipment thread for this :lol:

I might have to look at some Grafs for the next pair of skates, player or goalie. Anyone I've ever talked to who have worn them, love them.

So I'm making an effort to learn how to properly turn right crossing over and cutting. Figure it's about time after surviving without doing it :P Either my right skate has no outside edge, or I'm definitely not doing it right :lol:

Barley Kings are now 10-2-1 on the season with a single point lead for first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next