OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Got a custom Bauer stick off their site. For a good 10 years, I've been only using the cheapest sticks, as other guys in beer league tend to break them on me (one slashed in half, another had a guy fatter than me just fell onto and break it, one stepped on, etc). I thought I had hands of stone. This custom Nexus is amazing. I can actually feel the puck on the stick! Subtle puck movements translate into my hands. So it wasn't my hands, but the cheap sticks! Great to know. You can customize the flex, blade pattern (a few that aren't regularly available), color, name, etc. It's basically the high end model, with some nice perks and for only a few bucks more.
Now my problem is- if anyone breaks this one on me I'm going to get into a fight! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
Got a custom Bauer stick off their site, because a friend works there and gave me the opportunity of a good discount. For a good 10 years, I've been only using the cheapest sticks, as other guys in beer league tend to break them on me (one slashed in half, another had a guy fatter than me just fell onto and break it, one stepped on, etc). I thought I had hands of stone. This custom Nexus is amazing. I can actually feel the puck on the stick! Subtle puck movements translate into my hands. So it wasn't my hands, but the cheap sticks! Great to know. You can customize the flex, blade pattern (a few that aren't regularly available), color, name, etc. It's basically the high end model, with some nice perks and for only a few bucks more.
Now my problem is- if anyone breaks this one on me I'm going to get into a fight! :lol:
Yeah those sticks are insane. Also the golden rule for people over 40 in any sports league -- always blame the equipment for any subpar play and it is never ever the player. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Got a custom Bauer stick off their site, because a friend works there and gave me the opportunity of a good discount. For a good 10 years, I've been only using the cheapest sticks, as other guys in beer league tend to break them on me (one slashed in half, another had a guy fatter than me just fell onto and break it, one stepped on, etc). I thought I had hands of stone. This custom Nexus is amazing. I can actually feel the puck on the stick! Subtle puck movements translate into my hands. So it wasn't my hands, but the cheap sticks! Great to know. You can customize the flex, blade pattern (a few that aren't regularly available), color, name, etc. It's basically the high end model, with some nice perks and for only a few bucks more.
Yeah those sticks are insane. Also the golden rule for people over 40 in any sports league -- always blame the equipment for any subpar play and it is never ever the player. :lol:

1. After every shanked shot, look incredulously at the stick blade for cracks.
2. If you fall, look incredulously at the skate blade for damaged edges.
3. When you miss a pass, look incredulously at the ice for that bump that caused the puck to change direction. Or point to the lights that blinded you (don't look at the lights).
4. When you give the puck away, act really confused for a second, and then remind everyone that you played for years on a team that wore rainbow narwhal jerseys, just like this opposing team, so you thought you were passing to your old bud, Johnny 1-timer.
5. After any play that you don't score on, blame the refs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Do all pro players just use those stupid disposable blades now? I'm seeing a serious uptick in players trapped on the ice because they literally lose a skate blade blocking a shot. It just seems like a dumb idea to me, not to mention insanely wasteful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Do all pro players just use those stupid disposable blades now? I'm seeing a serious uptick in players trapped on the ice because they literally lose a skate blade blocking a shot. It just seems like a dumb idea to me, not to mention insanely wasteful.

Replaceable, yes. I'm not sure about disposable. I'm 99% sure they sharpen the blades and continue to use them for a while.
I've read that Crosby replaces them literally every single shift. He wants freshly sharpened blades every time on the ice. 15 second shift? Replace them.
But I agree, it's annoying. But it's part of the game that I think is here to stay. The ability to switch blades in 5 seconds and keep a top player in the game, vs having him walk back to the room mid-game, take his skate off to be sharpened, put it back on and be back on the bench... What are you talking there- 5 minutes minimum?
I'm sure every time a pro's blade falls out mid-game, there's some guy at the skate company freaking out that he's going to hear it from the boss... They'll have better systems soon.
I've changed a few. They are a real pain in the ass the first time, and then are pretty easy. So if they're changed 15 times/game, they're going to start falling out. I guess they replace the whole blade assembly now and then. I read somewhere recently that most NHL players go through like 6 pairs of skates/season now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 am 

Damn Harbor Freight Tools! Early in the morning I see emails with titles like "Up to 70% off Bauer Equipment!" and I get all excited, thinking "new skates!", only to find they mean their store brand of Bauer Tools. So it's more like "Random Orbital Sander!". :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:51 pm 

Canadian dudes- any chance of finding Skaboots in a local hockey store? We have to dress outside for games and I can't count the number of kids whose regular skateguards have fallen off or failed in various ways. Can't get Skaboots here in NY (that I'm aware of) but I'd love a few sets.

Or a Canadian mail order place that may have them and would ship to NY?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Looks like Canadian Tire is the retailer and they don't have any stock it seems :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:53 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Looks like Canadian Tire is the retailer and they don't have any stock it seems :(

Yeah I just heard back from my co-coach who is from Edmonton and asked her father to look around. He said none to be found. I guess everyone else is thinking the same as me. I'm at the point where I'm going to take a regular set of rubber skate guards, a pair of old boots, a jar of rubber cement and not come out of the basement until I've made a pair similar. :lol:

Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 pm 

Got annoyed enough that I'm taking an old leaky pair of Muck Boots and seeing if I can make some DIY SkaBoots. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 am 
King of the One-Liner

only stock I could see was small.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
only stock I could see was small.

Thanks for looking!

My attempt to make some is going... meh. It will likely work but they'll be so fugly I don't know if she'll wear them. :lol: The steel shank in the Muck boots rusted since they leaked so they're black & rusty. Not what a 12 year old girl wants to wear. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Finally bought some new pads. The 590s are 16 years old now, still have lots of wear but old 12" spec. Started looking around for clearance pro stuff and found some Warrior Ritual GT pros in red and white, designed by Hounsy's dude Pete Smith. They had the newer GT2 in white for the same price($1000 with knee pads) which is what I went in to look at, but they had the set of red and white GTs and I absolutely love the red and white. Break and angles feel similar to my 590s. I like how the knee pads feel, the old ones my brother gave to me felt like a disaster and chafed the shit out of my knees.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 am 

Nice looking pads. I wonder why you like red & white... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:19 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

iiam:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:36 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

iiam:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:18 pm 
OTP Historian

So these pads have no straps and my goalie pants were basically held up by my previous straps since I didn't wear suspenders. Absolutely loved the pads as soon as I got on the ice, but my pants and everything else were falling down. Both suspender buttons had been yanked out on the pants on one side, so time for new pants.

Red happens to be one of the three colours you can get! Except nobody had any red pants. Called up the same place I bought my pads from, lo and behold, they've got a couple of pairs of pro returns for $400+ a pair of previous years red Vaughns in my size. Only $50!!! Not the highest level of quality but I give 0 fucks, they're $50. Got a new goalie gear bag to get them shipped for free.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:21 pm 

$50 for any hockey gear is cheap, let alone goalie stuff. Nice score! Um, are goalies okay with "scoring" something? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9