OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 am 
Online
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 4832
Location: Too deep in crease.
Marko Markac, really young though figure twenty give or take a couple years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9253
Hounsy wrote:
Marko Markac, really young though figure twenty give or take a couple years.


Yeah, don't know the name.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
Miss18.1's varsity team has a new coach, and he's trying to give me a heart attack, because she's playing a regular shift. Started their second game on the first line and had a nice assist (first varsity point!). This is all after getting very limited time in their first game, which included her getting "trucked" in her words, thanks to a suicide pass in her skates. Everyone freaked out that she got hit so hard and the ref made her go to the bench, even though there hadn't been a whistle. She laughed at everyone asking if she was okay. I think that helped her gain the coaches' trust, as odd as that sounds. I think they saw her as fragile before, but seeing her bounce up and demand to be put back in cleared that up. It's great seeing your kid's name in the local paper, saying she gave a nice feed. :D

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:55 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
Saturday was filled with wanting to kill, as Miss18.1's team played one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen. Miss18.1's nose was broken by a vicious crosscheck to the back of her helmet, so hard it caused the helmet to rotate on her head and the forehead area of the helmet to come down on the bridge of her nose and break it. We've got photos of other girls getting the exact same crosscheck. Another girl on our team was run into the stanchion, ala Chara on Pacioretty. She's got a bruise on her shoulder, as she managed to lean away, but it went unpenalized. I've got a letter going to the league. Their coach was kicked out but didn't leave the building (photos of that too).

Sunday was a total contrast. Miss18.2 played her one scheduled game in net. She'd been totally dreading this game (calling it December turd instead of third). I told her to go out and have fun, and not worry at all about the score. She didn't. :lol: We lost 9-1 to a very good team, but she had 22 saves and more fun than any player ever. She was belting out Christmas songs at the top of her lungs, dancing (even with the puck in her zone). No goals scored as a result, and as a matter of fact, her one glove save was more a result of her dancing than actually having her glove in the right spot. :lol: Her teammates sang on the bench, the other team started singing part way through the third period. Even opposing parents started cheering her saves, and the opposing coaches said they had more fun watching her dance and sing than watching the game. We give out a hard hat award for the hardest working player. She won it unanimously, with me abstaining from the vote. Another kid on the team tried like hell to win it, saying he'd give it to her if he won it. It was by far the best team bonding event we could have had. Can't wait for practice tonight. And neither can Miss18.2, since she's back on D. :lol:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9253
Chris18 wrote:
Saturday was filled with wanting to kill, as Miss18.1's team played one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen. Miss18.1's nose was broken by a vicious crosscheck to the back of her helmet, so hard it caused the helmet to rotate on her head and the forehead area of the helmet to come down on the bridge of her nose and break it. We've got photos of other girls getting the exact same crosscheck. Another girl on our team was run into the stanchion, ala Chara on Pacioretty. She's got a bruise on her shoulder, as she managed to lean away, but it went unpenalized. I've got a letter going to the league. Their coach was kicked out but didn't leave the building (photos of that too).

Sunday was a total contrast. Miss18.2 played her one scheduled game in net. She'd been totally dreading this game (calling it December turd instead of third). I told her to go out and have fun, and not worry at all about the score. She didn't. :lol: We lost 9-1 to a very good team, but she had 22 saves and more fun than any player ever. She was belting out Christmas songs at the top of her lungs, dancing (even with the puck in her zone). No goals scored as a result, and as a matter of fact, her one glove save was more a result of her dancing than actually having her glove in the right spot. :lol: Her teammates sang on the bench, the other team started singing part way through the third period. Even opposing parents started cheering her saves, and the opposing coaches said they had more fun watching her dance and sing than watching the game. We give out a hard hat award for the hardest working player. She won it unanimously, with me abstaining from the vote. Another kid on the team tried like hell to win it, saying he'd give it to her if he won it. It was by far the best team bonding event we could have had. Can't wait for practice tonight. And neither can Miss18.2, since she's back on D. :lol:


Damn, brutal Saturday. Sorry to hear about Miss18.1's nose :( Show her some Tim Hunter pictures, that'll cheer her right up!

That's hilarious about Miss18.2. She's got the goalie crazy, Chris...

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
Bosc wrote:
Damn, brutal Saturday. Sorry to hear about Miss18.1's nose :( Show her some Tim Hunter pictures, that'll cheer her right up!

That's hilarious about Miss18.2. She's got the goalie crazy, Chris...


The coach from Saturday's game has been suspended 3 games, but will soon find out he's probably suspended even longer since we have photos of him not only not leaving the rink, but laughing along with some of their parents within 2 minutes of being kicked out (gotta love photo documentation!). Their web site also promotes them being in a totally different league than ours, so our league is supposedly going to tell them they should finish out their season playing in that league, including their end of year tournament. Good fucking riddance. There is no place in hockey for that shit. The one amusing part- is Miss18.2 calling Miss18.1 Bluedolph, the blue nosed sister (sung to the tune of Rudolph). :lol:

Miss18.2 now wants to play goalie again. I tried telling her it was really fun: Once. :lol: But she shouldn't get her hopes up that her team will back her so well again. We have 2 other goalies, so she likely won't get another chance, other than maybe in practice now & then.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
End of seasons. :(
Miss 18.2 ended her season having to forfeit one tournament game because we got 14" of snow and nobody from our team had power, while the other teams all got rain, and played like "where the fuck are these guys?" Lost the next game, and then won their last game of the year in awesome fashion. Tied 1-1 and we scored with literally 0.1 second left on the clock. The ref pointed into the net 10 times like he was calling a game 7 OT goal. :lol: And for us, he was.

Miss18.1 ended her season less happily. We won our first 3 tournament games in convincing fashion, and went to the finals against a team we had whooped 6-1 the day before. I kept warning our girls not to talk shit.... The next day the opposing team came out ready to whoop ass, and they did. We lost 6-3, and also physically whooped our players. One girl is out now with a concussion after a nasty crosscheck to her neck/head. I wish they'd allow checking in girls hockey, because this shit doesn't happen in guy's hockey! Everyone knows if they do something like that they're dead, so they don't do it. Girls league? Meh.... :chairshot: Two weeks earlier Miss18.1 was slew footed and sprained a bunch of ribs from landing so hard. I never knew you could sprain ribs, but you can! She played through it, and was awesome. Damn shame her teammates ran their mouths and our goalie was shaking with nervousness before the big game. :lol: But for kids ranging 13-18, most of whom are 13-16, they did great for playing in a U19 league. Next year!

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:11 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
I built fake goalie pads in butterfly position out of a cut up 2x12. Got my kids to start shooting on the net. Miss18.2 was goofing around, and finally really lifted a shot, and completely lost her mind running around the yard screaming "I went bar down! I went bar down!" You'd think she won the lottery. :lol:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 am 
Online
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19795
Chris18 wrote:
I built fake goalie pads in butterfly position out of a cut up 2x12. Got my kids to start shooting on the net. Miss18.2 was goofing around, and finally really lifted a shot, and completely lost her mind running around the yard screaming "I went bar down! I went bar down!" You'd think she won the lottery. :lol:


That's awesome. :lol: Finally learning how to shoot is a pretty good feeling though, you probably remember. I struggled big-time for years to get mine to be anything other than a hard pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9253
Nice!

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I built fake goalie pads in butterfly position out of a cut up 2x12. Got my kids to start shooting on the net. Miss18.2 was goofing around, and finally really lifted a shot, and completely lost her mind running around the yard screaming "I went bar down! I went bar down!" You'd think she won the lottery. :lol:


That's awesome. :lol: Finally learning how to shoot is a pretty good feeling though, you probably remember. I struggled big-time for years to get mine to be anything other than a hard pass.


Absolutely. I struggled like hell to get my shot higher than 6" for a long time. Sadly though, when it stayed below 6" I got shitloads of assists on deflections and quite a few goals off shins. Once I learned to shoot top shelf from the point, the points all but dried up, and I couldn't figure out how to shoot low again for years. :lol:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm 
Online
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 4832
Location: Too deep in crease.
I find playing street hockey with a ball helped the local street kids get a feel for shooting high, with a wrist shot anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6768
Hounsy wrote:
I find playing street hockey with a ball helped the local street kids get a feel for shooting high, with a wrist shot anyway.


That's exactly what I did in practices this year. Gave them all tennis balls for almost 2 weeks of practice. Kids were shooting them over the net after the first week... Then went back to pucks and most could lift. Just my kid couldn't be bothered to practice with the ball. :roll:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group