OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 23-24 Rumour Mill
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:04 am 

https://www.canucksdaily.com/LATEST-The ... ted-296662

Well if there is any truth to Calgary putting Hanifin, Tanev and Zadarov on the block, then they are really looking at tearing it down. Markstrom can't be far behind either.

I have some interest in Tanev, he'd stabilize that 2nd pairing and help for the playoff run. However, as I mentioned in the Nucks thread I think the team may have a shot at not just the playoffs but a deep run if they can pick up a Grade B+ to A RHD. Its Andersson who pretty much perfectly fits their need. However I can't even being to imagine what he would cost. However at age 27, if the Flames are really going to do a full rebuild, its not a terrible idea to be letting him go as well.

Post subject: Re: 23-24 Rumour Mill
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:35 am 
King of Men

Silly of the Flames to consider Rasmus. Unfortunately, I 've watched this team do lots of silly things and handle good players poorly over the years so nothing is off the table.

Never been a fan of those 3 listed dudes so won't be sad if and when they clear out.

I just read a ridiculous article about 3 Lives trying to send Bertuzzi back to Boston. Why would the B's want that clown back for that kind of money (even if they could)? Ship him to Columbus or Nashville.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:04 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Silly of the Flames to consider Rasmus. Unfortunately, I 've watched this team do lots of silly things and handle good players poorly over the years so nothing is off the table.

If they have decided to tank and rebuild well that's going to take 3-5 years. Ramus will be a FA when he turns 30. I get that you'd want to keep him but if it accelerates the rebuild it should be considered as in 4 years he may not even be part of that rebuilt team. That's how I see it.

If in January the Nucks look even 85% as good as they do now I'd offer up Garland + Hoglander (fast, pesky, skills and should become a 2nd line winger); first round pick and a quality prospect. If management is going to tank and rebuild, then embrace it fully imo.

ugh, just looked at Flames through cap friendly at Kadri and Huberdeau..........omg are they screwed. Kadri 7 million for 5 years, and Ruderless $10 mil for 7 more years........they are so fff'ed up. I don't think they can even give these guys away for nothing, they'll have to add significant sweeteners to move them. That will be a problem for any rebuilding team. They're still useful now, but they will be a huge lodestone around the team in 5 years if they rebuild. Can they be moved to a team now that has a couple really aged players with big contracts that are only 3 or 4 years left?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

We have our first notable trade of the 2023-24 season!

Defenseman Calen Addison heads to the now-no-longer-winless San Jose Sharks in exchange for a fifth round pick.

I'm not surprised really, the Wylde got him in (I think) the Jason Zucker deal and he just never seemed to fit, ended up benched and healthy scratched a few times. Good offensive talent who now has a fresh start with a team with absolutely NOTHING to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:37 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
We have our first notable trade of the 2023-24 season!

Defenseman Calen Addison heads to the now-no-longer-winless San Jose Sharks in exchange for a fifth round pick.

I'm not surprised really, the Wylde got him in (I think) the Jason Zucker deal and he just never seemed to fit, ended up benched and healthy scratched a few times. Good offensive talent who now has a fresh start with a team with absolutely NOTHING to lose.

He must be pretty atrocious defensively. RHD, 29 points last year in 62 games as a 22 year old is pretty nice production. Even if most of it came on the power play. At 23 he still has time to learn. They gave him up for a 5th rounder and a prospect that doesn't look likely to make the NHL. It does seem a bit off to me, only thing I can think of was he was not well liked, or just horrible defensively.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:22 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
He must be pretty atrocious defensively. RHD, 29 points last year in 62 games as a 22 year old is pretty nice production. Even if most of it came on the power play. At 23 he still has time to learn. They gave him up for a 5th rounder and a prospect that doesn't look likely to make the NHL. It does seem a bit off to me, only thing I can think of was he was not well liked, or just horrible defensively.

Yeah, he's pretty bad defensively and Evason clearly did not like him, though this now makes Minnesota even more reliant on an aging pair of undersized puckmovers in Alex Goligoski and Jared Spurgeon to generate their offense from the back end. As an Avs fan I...don't have too big a problem with this either way.

BREAKING: Okay then, the Wylde are now sending out a 7th rounder to Tampa in exchange for...Zach Bogosian? Okay then. I certainly don't think Bogosian-for-Addison (essentially) is an upgrade, but you do you, Minnesota.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:23 pm 

Rumour

TO VANCOUVER

- Chris Tanev
- Elias Lindholm

TO CALGARY

- Andrei Kuzmenko
- Tyler Myers
- 2024 1st Round Draft Selection

I don't really like it. I mean I like Tanev but what the team really, really needs is a high quality #3 dman and Tanev is no longer that good. They need someone 4 or 5 years younger at least, that is not on an expiring contract. Elias Lindhom would be awesome though. Certainly the kind of player that would be a great fit for any team. However its not worth it unless the Nucks decide they are one of the top 5 teams in contention for the cup. Until they address their #3 and #4 dman spots I don't think they really are more than an outside shot. Now if a deal can be swung for Rasmus Andersson then give up a first round pick and Hoglander and whatever filler needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 am 

Don't think I've ever seen the rumour mill working harder in Vancouver than it has been for the last week. Seems the Canucks are satisfied with their defense and think they need one more first or second line experience and are willing to pay up for a shot at the cup. The hevavyist rumour the keeps going on is regarding upcoming free agent Jake Guentzal. A not so cheap rental for the low price of two first rounders, Hoglander, and a prospect.

As well as Guentzal, Crosby was also tossed out. Another expiring contract as people trying to figure out if Dubas believes they're too old to win a cup and need to retool Could their be a Guentzal, Crosby, Malkin sell off? That would be very ballsy move on Dubas part, but probably the right call as he could sell really high at the moment.

Also mentions of Monahan, Joel Eriksson, Jordan Greenway and more.

All forwards. I don't get it, I mean I do, Kuzmenko has not worked out this year so they are missing a quality top line winger but I still think the team needs a quality #3 dman more than a winger. Ian Cole has worked out really well, but he's 33 and on a one year contract and better suited to a #4 or #5 position on a better team.

I also think this team has a 5 year window, there is no point on selling the farm for Guentzal unless they believe Pettersson is going to walk away. And speculation that he's going to do just that is heating up. He indicated last summer that his signing was dependent upon the team being able to move in the right direction. Well, they've done that and way more. Still his camp won't even begin to discuss signing. If he's not going to sign, then the team needs to consider going all in this year. That would really suck, but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:48 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Fogghorn wrote:

All forwards. I don't get it, I mean I do, Kuzmenko has not worked out this year so they are missing a quality top line winger but I still think the team needs a quality #3 dman more than a winger. Ian Cole has worked out really well, but he's 33 and on a one year contract and better suited to a #4 or #5 position on a better team.

I've been saying this to my Canuck friends for a while. They need at least a quality #3 dman before forwards. I hope they opt for a dman.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Teams looking for a forward might've missed the boat: Lindholm and Monahan are off the market, and Guentzel is hurt.

Defence market about to pick up as soon as Tanev goes. Hanifin, Carrier etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:54 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I hope Lou holds a tire fire sale but I don't know that any teams would take on any of the Isles' contracts. But at this point, it's time to show this group that their window closed.
So if anybody offers ANYTHING for 4th liners Clutterbuck or Martin, take it. Only Isles I wouldn't trade are Barzal, Dobson and Sorokin. Everyone else, I'd take offers if I was Lou. Make salary space and a retool could change this team big time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
I hope Lou holds a tire fire sale but I don't know that any teams would take on any of the Isles' contracts. But at this point, it's time to show this group that their window closed.
So if anybody offers ANYTHING for 4th liners Clutterbuck or Martin, take it. Only Isles I wouldn't trade are Barzal, Dobson and Sorokin. Everyone else, I'd take offers if I was Lou. Make salary space and a retool could change this team big time.

It's funny because I definitely think the Habs would be interested in Wahlstrom as a possible nontender/change of scenery candidate, and the Habs will have draft picks to spare. He's got a bit of Josh Anderson in him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:16 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

It's funny because I definitely think the Habs would be interested in Wahlstrom as a possible nontender/change of scenery candidate, and the Habs will have draft picks to spare. He's got a bit of Josh Anderson in him.

He's got the hockey IQ of a potato. If someone can fix that, he might be a hell of a player. But he's not smart enough to move away from coverage. He goes to the wrong areas. Just a mess and none of Trotz, Lambert or now Roy have been able to fix him. Trotz said publicly that Wahlstrom made the NHL on skill alone because he'd never been taught the game. Yikes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:12 am 
Big in Japan

Trade deadline in about 10 days. NHL dot com dropped a bunch of names: https://www.nhl.com/news/2024-nhl-trade ... layer-list

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Another ranking, this time from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/ ... cts-market

I feel like it's going to be a mad rush for Tanev and Hanifin (maybe Guentzel), and then teams scrambling for depth guys after that. There's not a ton out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:47 pm 

I'm okay with the Canucks not making anymore moves. Ideally I'd like Tanev, but the cost sounds like it would be pretty high (1st round pick). If the team can pick up a player for defense that is not a FA this year I'd be really pleased with that though.

I do expect Vegas to be very active though. Apparently they have about $10,000,000 to play with. That's a lot of dollars, and if I was them I'd be tossing all my draft picks into the pot for one more shot at the cup. They're not a young team with a long window ahead of them.

What will be interesting are the teams that are just on the edge of wild card. Washington, Pens, Isles, Wild, Blues, Flames, Kraken. Do they decide to sell off, or go for broke for the wild card?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Tanev to Dallas for not that much, frankly: a 2nd, a B prospect and a conditional 3rd. Plus retention.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:41 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Tanev to Dallas for not that much, frankly: a 2nd, a B prospect and a conditional 3rd. Plus retention.

That seems light considering the retention involved. Unless Grushnikov is better than a B prospect. Just glad he didn't go to Edmonton.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:27 pm 

Odd that New Jersey got involved.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Odd that New Jersey got involved.

They've reached the point where they might not even bother trying to get back in the race.