OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
We have a trade to announce: Nieto back to COL with problem child Merkley from SJ for underused defenceman MacDonald and former prospect Kaut.

Nieto's second go around. Obviously a talented head case like Merkley going to Colorado is super interesting. If they think he can be fixed...

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited about this trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Horvat to the Isles for Beauvillier, Raty and an almighty 2023 first. Didn't think Lou Lams had it in him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:39 pm 
King of Men

I can't claim to understand the state the Nucks are in or why you would choose to keep JT Miller over this guy but whatever. Whorebag is off to NY.

To me it looks pretty good both ways. Nucks needed to part ways and got some return and the isles needed someone, anyone. I will wait to hear how actual fans here think of this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:40 am 

I think DFO put it best: Canucks hit a single, Islanders struck out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
I think DFO put it best: Canucks hit a single, Islanders struck out.

I don't know. A few points: Canucks are retaining 25% of Horvat's salary, so that lets the Isles make another move since they now have $6.5M in space, $11.4 in deadline space, a good increase in both. This also gives the Isles & Horvat almost 5 weeks to negotiate an extension. If he doesn't re-sign, and this move doesn't jump start them into a playoff spot, they can flip him at the deadline and maybe recoup some picks, etc. And, the pick is protected. If the Isles land in the bottom 10 the pick slides to 2024. Consider that Bedard insurance. Considering those points, the Isles have chances to make this work better.

I'll miss Beauvillier. He's struggled for the last year or so for some reason, but he's a great guy and gave Isles fans some huge moments. Still writes "Have fun" on his stick before every game. I love that. Raty- I have faith that he'd be really good but the Isles need someone now. The first rounder- protecting it was a no brainer, but hopefully the Isles' pick will be in the upper 20s or lower 30s. I doubt that very much, but I can say it. They're very much in "let's just make the playoffs and then we'll make some noise" category.

Fun fact- Canucks visit the Isles on Feb 9th. I hope Beauvillier gets a standing ovation. He's either hated or loved by fans. I really liked him.

Horvat- hopefully he can help the PP that's in desperate need of CPR. And I hope he signs an extension or gets flipped for a good haul. Sounds like he's open to extending. They could move Barzal or Nelson to wing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:29 pm 

Lou is hoping Bowie is the gamebreaker the Isles desperately need. I think he's in for a major, major disappointment.

I think he'll help the Isles' flagging power play for sure, beyond that, I dunno. He's not the "two way" player he's touted to be, but the man has wheels, plays a rough, aggressive game, and can obviously put the puck in the net (though he hasn't lately).

Horvat changing from 53 to 17, likely because Lou for whatever reason hates high numbers on jerseys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:25 pm 

:lol: plausible but the actual reason he’s changing numbers is that Cizikas has worn 53 for like a decade. Horvat is taking 14. Martin is 17.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:25 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
:lol: plausible but the actual reason he’s changing numbers is that Cizikas has worn 53 for like a decade. Horvat is taking 14. Martin is 17.

Dammit, knew I should've looked it up. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Dammit, knew I should've looked it up. :lol:

We switched roles there. I'm the one usually too lazy to look anything up. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Dreger says the Habs aren't trading Josh Anderson unless they get blown away by an offer, which to me means they're definitely going to trade him.

Hughes actually uses the media to build up the value of his assets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:47 am 

Sports net posted one of those would you questions tonight, and I thought it was fun so here goes.

Quinn Hughes to NJ for Dawson Mercer; Simon Nemec; and a conditional 1st round pick

Not sure why they stipulated a conditional pick as NJ is going to be late in the first round.

Anyways would you do this deal?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:08 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Quinn Hughes to NJ for Dawson Mercer; Simon Nemec; and a conditional 1st round pick

Not sure why they stipulated a conditional pick as NJ is going to be late in the first round.

Anyways would you do this deal?

No.

We've waited for a PP QB and it ain't OEL. And that conditional first, unless they can use it and NYI's first to buy their way to get 1st overall, it isn't worth it. Add to that, Petterson won't re-sign here if doesn't have a great PP QB to tee it up for him in the right circle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 pm 

Interesting tCL. My first thought was absolutely do this trade.

I know the old saying about whomever gets the best player wins the trade but I still think this is a trade that is pretty beneficial for both.

NJ gets a probably future HHoF dman. And by having all three brothers, they can probably get them to take a 10 - 20% salary discount over their playing careers just so they can stay together. And it puts them in a spot to pursue the Stanley Cup immediately. So they have all kinds of reason to be all over this one.

Dawson Mercer had a very nice rookie campaign last year with 17 goals and 25 assists, dropped off a little this year but he's doing very well for a 21 year old. Simon Nemec's 19 year old AHL season is half point a game, he's an A+ quality prospect. NJ might have to put a bit more sweetener in for this deal but I'm pretty close on it as I have doubts as to whether Quinn Hughes will resign here anyways. If you want to win a Stanley Cup it seems to be I'd be looking elsewhere if I was him. Especially when both of his brothers are on one team already and its a quality team with quality management.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
I have doubts as to whether Quinn Hughes will resign here anyways.

Hughes is signed through to '27/28 and they may trade him but my preference is to keep him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:48 pm 

I think it's telling that the Canucks publicly stated that Pettersson is the "only" untouchable, but they said it would take a massive offer for Hughes.

Can't believe they're really moving on from Demko already though. There must be some bad blood between him and the organization if the trade rumors and reports of a trade request are this prevalent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Someone is breaking the bank for Meier. And although his QO is 10M, if you give him an extension it doesn't have to be for that AAV.

Contenders like Boston and Toronto are interesting possibilities, given he's not your typical rental.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Another big domino falls: Tarasenko to the Rangers. A conditional 1st, Sammy Blais in the package coming back. Blais and Buchnevich reunited, take that Tom Wilson!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:29 am 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Another big domino falls: Tarasenko to the Rangers. A conditional 1st, Sammy Blais in the package coming back. Blais and Buchnevich reunited, take that Tom Wilson!

Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Chychrun scratched for trade purposes (Zona even admitted it) but now it's not clear how close they are to a trade. LA shut down a Clarke for Jakob rumour.

Lots of potential suitors, with LAK being the obvious dance partner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Now Gavrikov is being held out for "trade-related" reasons. Jarmo get that first rounder!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next