OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade centre/center 2023
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Who's buying? Who's selling?

Some names on the market: Kane, Toews, Chychrun, Horvat, Meier, Edmundson, Nyqvist, Van Riemsdyk, Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Shattenkirk, Monahan. More to come I'm sure.

Kane to NYR makes too much sense.

Buyers and sellers are pretty clear, but cap space is at a premium. No one wants to give up 2023 first rounders but will probably give away 24 picks like they're nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I will stop watching the Avs if they trade for Kane. End of story.

Could be fascinating who moves, especially in a season where you know some teams are going out of their way to tank it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:00 am 

I think Edmonton needs all the Kanes. :P

The top guy on the list should be Kuzmenko, on pace I believe for 40 goals, can score from anywhere on the ice, is always happy and is dirt cheap, every team would be able to find cap room for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 am 

Fogghorn wrote:

The top guy on the list should be Kuzmenko, on pace I believe for 40 goals, can score from anywhere on the ice, is always happy and is dirt cheap, every team would be able to find cap room for him.

Uh doesn’t Vancouver want to keep a guy like that!?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:02 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Uh doesn’t Vancouver want to keep a guy like that!?

I have no idea what Vancouver is trying to do and I don't think anyone in management has a realistic long term plan either.

Personally I don't think they can afford to keep him next year. My best guess as to what will happen is they will keep everyone and try and make the playoffs, then Horvat and Kuzmenko will leave via free agency in the off season............its the Vancouver way of doing things.

What they should be doing right now is off loading Miller, Horvat, Kuzmenko and tanking for Bedard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:18 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Fogghorn wrote:

Yeah its funny about Kuzy I think they took him away from Petey to try and lessen his goals in hopes of resigning him for less, they are just so good together. Tough call on the resign or trade, guess it mostly depends on what they could get.

Schenn might have some unexpected value as well

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:52 pm 
Big in Japan

If Kuz is for sale, he shoots up the list, but I'll believe the Canucks are true sellers when I see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:49 pm 

There is probably not one "star" NHL player I know less about than Ivan Provorov. I always thought he was a good all-around defenseman but I'm told he's more of a stay-at-home guy. That said, for a stay-at-home guy who was once hyped for the Norris (this was a long time ago, mind you) he sure does seem to get scorched a lot. What value is there in getting a guy like him? I'm sure he's good but I just don't know anything whatsoever about his game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I think Provorov could have a resurrection if he goes to a good team. I just think he hasn’t given a shut in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
I think Provorov could have a resurrection if he goes to a good team. I just think he hasn’t given a shut in a few years.

I said that about Ristolainen for years, now they're teammates!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:32 pm 

It was never about effort with Ristolainen. Dude just has a concrete block for a brain.

Provorov could have a career renaissance a La Hampus Lindholm in the right place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:22 pm 

I’m sure most players would do better away from Torts. Guy is such a dick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:46 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I’m sure most players would do better away from Torts. Guy is such a dick.

He absolutely is, but Risto still just plain sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:44 am 

I've read that Torts purposely pushes players to see at what point they'll push back, and hopes they grow as people and players when they do. But the more quotes I see from him, the less I believe that. I think he's just a total dick. This week he was asked about the all star game and said he doesn't watch at all, and doesn't give a shit about it. I kind of get his point, since I don't watch either, but when you're an NHL coach, maybe you should at least pretend to care. A little? Or make the quote less grumpy old man and more this is a team game so I look to my team, not all stars. It's just such a bad look.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:59 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I've read that Torts purposely pushes players to see at what point they'll push back, and hopes they grow as people and players when they do. But the more quotes I see from him, the less I believe that. I think he's just a total dick. This week he was asked about the all star game and said he doesn't watch at all, and doesn't give a shit about it. I kind of get his point, since I don't watch either, but when you're an NHL coach, maybe you should at least pretend to care. A little? Or make the quote less grumpy old man and more this is a team game so I look to my team, not all stars. It's just such a bad look.

I mean, that's Torts in a nutshell. And like Mike Keenan, the ultimate hardass coach of all time, there always seems to be one guy who excels under him, and at least one guy who gets bullied all over the place and eventually leaves. This year, the former is Travis Konecny, and the latter is Kevin Hayes.

Would not be surprised if there's some nudge-nudge-wink-wink stuff going on between Fletcher and Tortorella, trying to convince Hayes, whom I believe has some trade protection, to allow the Flyers to bring in as many interested parties as possible. Basically make him so miserable he accepts a trade to anywhere.

Oh and if you think Torts is bad, you should hear some of the stories that have followed Bob Hartley and Marc Crawford around. Both those guys were borderline abusive in their approach, and in the case of Hartley's treatment of Scott "The Sheriff" Parker, there was nothing borderline about it.

I think Torts is a pretty funny quote but his schtick grows tiresome after a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:38 pm 
King of Men

All these old balls coaches are reaching the end as these millenials won't have time for that. DS is really starting to show his age this time around. Legit next level kids down with the Wranglers get called up and they sit there and maybe play a game or 2 on the 3rd or 4th line...while Milan plays on the 1st line! Give me a break!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Horvat seems like the first domino to fall. The Canucks either really want the local boy number 1 or haven't figured out he exists. Not sure which.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:06 am 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Horvat seems like the first domino to fall. The Canucks either really want the local boy number 1 or haven't figured out he exists. Not sure which.

If Bedard is the goal, then Canucks management shoot wide, it bounces off the end boards and slides all the way down the ice into an empty net.

Seriously, if tanking for Bedard was the goal, they'd have traded JT Miller last season, traded Horvat and Boeser and found a way to put Huggy on LTIR with Petterson. They'll miss and they know it. They haven't even tried to call Willie Desjardins.

And I wouldn't put it past ownership to sign Horvat and trade Myers along with their 1st and 3rd for cap room.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:28 am 

If I was Lamoriello, I'd have everyone but Barzal, Dobson and Sorokin on the trading block. Fuck these Islanders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:42 pm 
Big in Japan

We have a trade to announce: Nieto back to COL with problem child Merkley from SJ for underused defenceman MacDonald and former prospect Kaut.

Nieto's second go around. Obviously a talented head case like Merkley going to Colorado is super interesting. If they think he can be fixed...