OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade Deadline 2022
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:52 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Read that the league has no intention of moving the trade deadline, despite some teams being like 10 games behind normal pace due to postponements. I'd think this will make teams far less active, as GMs will still think they have a shot at the playoffs and not sell as much. GMs who sell will be seen as giving up far too early and may be fired.

Post subject: Re: Trade Deadline 2022
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:05 am 
Big in Japan

With so many guys in COVID protocol, I don't really understand if that helps alleviate cap crunch or hurts it.

Seems like teams don't have much room to make moves, so sellers will need to pick up salary, presumably in exchange for a better return.

I think Ben Chiarot will go for a 1st. Clear rental, low cap hit, made a final last year. Sudden contenders like St. Loo will come calling.

I think goalies will move.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Chychrun is the big prize this deadline. He's probably more of a middle pairing guy at this point, but his cap hit is low and he's young. Two NHL-ready prospects and a first is the world on the street.

Florida wants the hometown boy for their playoff run in the worst way. Yotes want Lundell, but that's a steep price.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm 
King of Men

Seems Debrusk and Zenyshyn might get that done. Perfect destination for both of them!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:50 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
Seems Debrusk and Zenyshyn might get that done. Perfect destination for both of them!

Debrusk has been on the block for so long. What's the hold up?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs need to start trading guys before this winning streak under Marty St. Louis gets any longer. :lol:

Rumour has it the Habs are looking Ilya Samsonov's way. Makes sense. Habs need a future goalie and Washington needs stability now. I think Petry (replacing Schultz) and Lehkonen (Oshie insurance) are perfect fits in DC. Too perfect. Caps have a first rounder and Winnipeg's second. Caps would need a vet goalie from somewhere else to make it happen.

Toronto needs defensive help, and that's before Muzzin's likely second concussion of the season.

Anyways, the teams that are loading up need to do it, because I think the Panthers are snagging Chychrun and really going for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Debrusk has been on the block for so long. What's the hold up?

Boston already has depth issues up front, and their offense was anemic as all hell to start the year. Now that Pasta has been red hot since the beginning of 2022 and Marchand is back from suspension, maybe something will happen. But I could see them waiting until the offseason to do something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Andy Strickland out of STL was reporting the Preds are shopping Filip Forsberg. He's a pending UFA but you'd figure a guy Nashville would want to keep. Perhaps Poile is just examining all his options in case contract talks stall. I'll believe this one when I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:49 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Andy Strickland out of STL was reporting the Preds are shopping Filip Forsberg. He's a pending UFA but you'd figure a guy Nashville would want to keep. Perhaps Poile is just examining all his options in case contract talks stall. I'll believe this one when I see it.

I wouldn't mind if either one of my teams made a serious play for that dude! Probably end up in Colorado though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:56 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I wouldn't mind if either one of my teams made a serious play for that dude! Probably end up in Colorado though.

I think Forsberg, Hertl, Hampus stay put. Good situations where they are and none of those teams are in teardown mode (Sharks probably should be, but never do).

Giroux will be a nice pickup for someone. He's motivated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Poile remembers the time he held onto Ryan Suter for a very meh playoff run. Probably wise not to get burned this time around.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Trade board at Daily Faceoff: https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli- ... -heats-up/

Curious to see if the sellers make any Mantha-type moves and get rid of younger players, too. Hagel in Chicago and Texier in Columbus allegedly on the market with big price tags.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Bertuzzi could bring in a pretty huge haul under the right circumstances at a cheap cap hit with a year left. This would be the ideal time to deal him.

Unfortunately, these aren't the right circumstances. And had he been vacced anyway, it would make Detroit want to keep him that much more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Panthers sign Petteri Lindbohm, who needs waivers first. What makes him interesting is he was playing with Jokerit, who just pulled out of the KHL playoffs.

Could we see more players make the leap as the ruble crashes?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:15 am 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
Panthers sign Petteri Lindbohm, who needs waivers first. What makes him interesting is he was playing with Jokerit, who just pulled out of the KHL playoffs.

I guess they could get out through China if.little Bladdie let them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 am 

E.L. wrote:

Their teams would have to pull out of the KHL first, since the NHL & KHL have deals to honor each other's contracts. Right?

And won't guys coming over have to pass through waivers first? Ala Nabokov & Dubieliwicz...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Their teams would have to pull out of the KHL first, since the NHL & KHL have deals to honor each other's contracts. Right?

And won't guys coming over have to pass through waivers first? Ala Nabokov & Dubieliwicz...

Yes, Lindbohm went through waivers. Because of the Olympics, they sped up the season and went immediately into the playoffs, so after you're eliminated, are you obliged to stick around?

Also, the US recommended citizens in Russia leave immediately. I'd imagine other countries have/will follow suit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:54 am 

Ah, I hadn't realized they'd condensed the season and were having playoffs already. That's weird.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:08 pm 
Big in Japan

TSN's trade bait list: https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-b ... t-1.203546

Someone will have to explain to me why Gio isn't the most sought-after defenceman. Even at this stage of his career.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:34 am 
Big in Japan

The KHL exodus begins: the Finns and Swedes on Ufa and CSKA have left. No idea if they're eligible to come over, or if they even want to.

Wallmark, Nordstrom and Hartikainen have had cups of coffee in the NHL.