OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 pm 
Big in Japan

One for one deal, and a weird one at that. Kings get older but swap a struggling forward with 2 years on his deal for a pending UFA. Meanwhile, the Pens get more cap hell in a year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Blake is clearly preparing to blow up the team for next year in an attempt to attract a front line head coach. Hagelin walks at the end of this year and would be shocked if they don't shuffle Willie D into a new role with the team for next season. Only Kopitar and Doughty are safe but the cupboards are pretty bare save Gabe Vilardi.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

He's really not gonna be able to blow things up much, unless he convinces one of the core guys to waive his trade protection. I think they're just getting desperate to free up cap room however they can.

I'm sure if there's another CBA/amnesty buyout period the Kings will take full advantage. Phaneuf for sure, not sure who else. Carter?

I'm hearing rumors about everyone from Doughty to Toffoli being in play. I don't think they can afford to trade any youngsters at this point, and we'll see what happens with Doughty.

I figured the Kings wouldn't be good but egads...wasn't expecting this. Still a long season, maybe they'll put something together, down the stretch and at least end respectably but it don't look good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Honestly, if the Kings lose this year and get Hughes, the comeback trail will be a quick one for the Kings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
He's really not gonna be able to blow things up much, unless he convinces one of the core guys to waive his trade protection. I think they're just getting desperate to free up cap room however they can.

I'm sure if there's another CBA/amnesty buyout period the Kings will take full advantage. Phaneuf for sure, not sure who else. Carter?

I'm hearing rumors about everyone from Doughty to Toffoli being in play. I don't think they can afford to trade any youngsters at this point, and we'll see what happens with Doughty.

I figured the Kings wouldn't be good but egads...wasn't expecting this. Still a long season, maybe they'll put something together, down the stretch and at least end respectably but it don't look good.

Hearing rumours they are targeting Carter for a move in an attempt to acquire assets. Toffoli is good, but never really turned into the player everyone thought he would become. Could see them trying to move him. Doughty and Kopi have no move clauses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Toffoli was on a real upward trajectory, then stalled out badly around the midpoint of last season for some reason. Same with Kempe. I could see them trying like hell to get out from under Carter's contract--it pays him until age 37, and injuries have slowed him badly already. Kinda sad to see the other half of the "Dry Island" duo from Philly also petering out like this.

Let's face it, this team pretty much faceplanted when Lombardi and the organization completely and utterly mishandled the respective situations with Slava Voynov and Mike Richards. The fact they treated the serial (and still unrepentant) domestic abuser was allowed to practice with the team and simultaneously went out of their way to paint the latter as a pariah for the unforgivable sin of getting addicted to pain pills he was using to keep his battered frame in the lineup kinda makes me less-than-sympathetic for their current plight. I get Blake had nothing to do with that BTW, but I think that sorta was the death knell of this current core, they just haven't admitted it yet.

Anyone see Kovalchuk play? I read he got benched in the third by Desjardins recently. I watched the Kings get steamrolled by the Islanders not too long ago, he didn't factor in much, much like the rest of LA's team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 am 

Saw Kovalchuk play in the Kings home opener at Staples v. Sharks. He factored into some limited sustained offensive pressure, but was largely invisible for the most of the night. Dude's 35 years old, 6'3, 230 pounds and a defensive liability. He's clearly on the wrong side of the game's evolution.

Willie D would just as soon throw out a hay stackin' Albertan farm hand. :lol: