OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2387 ... avalanache

Orpik is obviously a salary dump, apparently he will either be dealt (with salary retained) or just bought out.

Taking on that contract allowed for the Avs to offer just the one 2nd rounder. They had an extra pick thanks to the Duchene deal.

Grubauer should be signed shortly. Dater said there were ongoing talks to bring back Jonathan Bernier but that appears to be kaput now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:40 am 
Big in Japan

What's up with Varly? Trade bait?

Francouz ready to backup?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 am 

E.L. wrote:
What's up with Varly? Trade bait?

Francouz ready to backup?

No, Joe says he wants Varly and Triple-P to split duties with Francouz as the #3 in Loveland available for callup. Basically two young veterans now sit behind an established, but very injury-prone starter on the depth chart. Come deadline time we'll see what happens but I'd be somewhat surprised if Semyon Varlamov is still with the Avalanche in 2019.

Personally I love the moves made to address the complete lack of depth between the pipes this offseason. Avs go from having only two signed netminders following the expansion draft to something that looks a little sturdier. Hell, even the move to take on the Hamburglar as a throw-in was shrewd in hindsight. Still gotta do better drafting/developing goalies but this is a good start.

I'm guessing this makes current RFA Spencer Martin the #4 guy. He'll probably never make the NHL, which is a shame because he had the coolest goalie pads made this season:

https://goaliecoaches.com/spencer-marti ... anche-set/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:19 am 

Only way I see this going sideways from the get-go is if Varly revolts. I don't see that happening though, even he has to know his health track record is just not good.

For many reasons I'd like to see the Avs move on from Varlamov next year. Glad they at least have some options now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:26 am 

I think I read on Twitter that the Canes offered a better package than what the Avs had but the Caps apparently wanted to send him out of the conference. I thought for a sec that the Canes and Caps were still division rivals but forgot the Southeast no longer exists.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Supposedly Caps asked the Isles for a 1st rounder and Lou said no. I was mad at first, but then seeing the guys they got with those 1st round picks, I'm glad.
Hearing the Isles are kicking the tires for Varlamov. He any good anymore?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Supposedly Caps asked the Isles for a 1st rounder and Lou said no. I was mad at first, but then seeing the guys they got with those 1st round picks, I'm glad.
Hearing the Isles are kicking the tires for Varlamov. He any good anymore?

Don't kick the tires TOO hard, they may pop!

Seriously though, Varly is still talented. He's not elite, but he's a legit franchise goalie. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut dude is simply too injury prone. I do not see a real scenario where the Avs keep him past 2019.

Lou is familiar with Garret Sparks, I'm guessing that'd be the best route.