OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:20 pm 
Big in Japan

The value for pending UFAs has been set, and it's (Cliff) P.U.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Canucks acquire Josh Leivo from the Leafs in exchange for Utica forward Michael Carcone.

The move frees up a roster space for Nylander, who signed that long-term deal with the Leafs last Saturday.

What's the scouting report on Leivo?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So in waiving and losing Leispic and acquiring Leivo, they swap out one promising Leafs reject for another.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:30 pm 

I'm hearing that Babcock didn't really give him a fair shot and he was a healthy scratch 60+ times and was kept around for depth / injury purposes. Apparently he's a great finisher but not the best skater. He'll definitely get some decent ice time on the Canucks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I was not a fan but many a Leaf fan was enamored with him and suspect the HFboard types are blowing a gasket that Leivo and not Ennis is gone. I preferred Ennis and the Goat so happy with the move and hope Leivo finds success.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:43 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
I'm hearing that Babcock didn't really give him a fair shot and he was a healthy scratch 60+ times and was kept around for depth / injury purposes. Apparently he's a great finisher but not the best skater. He'll definitely get some decent ice time on the Canucks.

Much as I thought (and still think) Babcock has some maddening tendencies to overplay veteran grinders and not give fringe prospects any sort of real shot, to be fair I don't think any of the guys that he "mistreated" ever went on to do anything anywhere else. I think he even took some subtle jabs in the press at Frank Corrado not too long ago.

As for Leivo, I dunno. He's 25 now, which is more or less the age at which you say the guy is no longer developing--what you see is what you get. He got some decent looks on those truly horrid Leafs teams before Shanahan showed up IIRC. What I've read is that he can get going pretty fast in a straight line, it's his edgework and explosiveness that aren't great. If he ever becomes anything in the NHL it'll likely be a 3rd/4th line guy who powers his way into the slot and scores the occasional garbage goal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:57 pm 
King of the One-Liner

He can be a decent shoot grinder type on the 3rd 4th lines and likely is an NHL'er. The Leafs likely have the most forward depth in the NHL lineup at the moment and if you don't kill penalties or drive the offense for a line they can't use you on the 4th line. As well 5 of his 6 points this season came on the PP and his spot on the second unit is gone with all forwards back in the lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
He can be a decent shoot grinder type on the 3rd 4th lines and likely is an NHL'er. The Leafs likely have the most forward depth in the NHL lineup at the moment and if you don't kill penalties or drive the offense for a line they can't use you on the 4th line. As well 5 of his 6 points this season came on the PP and his spot on the second unit is gone with all forwards back in the lineup.
Sounds like a real game changer. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 pm 

Ol' Jimmy boy loves other teams' leftovers!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Trades are happening:

To Anaheim Ducks:
F Daniel Sprong

To Pittsburgh Penguins:
D Marcus Pettersson

Both were expected to find places on their original teams this season. Neither did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Ol' Jimmy boy loves other teams' leftovers!
Yeah totally. Makes zero sense.

Not that he has much value, but here they waive Leipsic (a fringe NHLer) who gets picked up by the Kings for nothing, then turn around and trade Carcone who is three years younger and having a great season in the AHL, in exchange for another fringe NHLer who is three years older and has plateaued? Net gain = -1.

Piss poor asset management by Jimbo. At least the Leafs get something in return with a potential upside however slight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:03 pm 

Can't help but think Green had a say in this too, much like he did with Beagle and Roussel. And while I think Travis is a very good coach, there's a good reason why you shouldn't let bench bosses have too much say in personnel decisions. Pure speculation on my part of course, I just can't help but think he wanted another tough guy out there since the two grit pickups have already missed significant time.