OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.tsn.ca/duchene-traded-to-sen ... l-1.906488

The way this unfolded was so bizarre. But it's over with. I have a LOT of thoughts on this of course but I'll wait until later to unload them all.

My initial thoughts--Sakic appears to have been vindicated because he got a very good return for a guy who isn't even signed for two full seasons. But now he needs to turn those assets into legitimate players. The Avs completely whiffed on the high first rounder they got as part of the Erik Johnson/Kevin Shattenkirk trade in 2011 and it's hurt them badly ever since. They can't do so here.

Nashville got their 2nd line C, a guy with an absolute cannon for a shot. It appears based on reports that what made the deal fall apart the last time was that the Preds wanted Turris to sign an extension, which he did this time around.

Ottawa paid quite a bit for what is definitely an upgrade on Turris, but I don't believe it to be a massive upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 am 
Big in Japan

Preds are going for it. RyJo and Turris 1-2 locked up for years. All they need is Rinne to not fall apart and they'll contend.

Girard has potential, but he might still need time to fully realize it.

Matty is a good fit for OTT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

That was some weird shit, the way he left the game.
And even more odd timing, considering the Sens next two games are against the Avs! I hope Duchene scores a ton of goals and flips Sakic off after each one. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 am 
OTP Historian

Clark Aitken ripped into the Avs yesterday on twitter for how this whole shitshow went down.

https://twitter.com/clrkaitken/status/9 ... 6039928832

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 am 
King of the One-Liner

Hard one to evaluate for me with out watching Duchene much. Seems most just assume he is the 70 point guy he was a couple of seasons ago once he is on a new team but what if he really is the 50 point guy he has been of late?

Definitely a wait and see for me...though with Ottawa in win now and likely not looking to be in a position to sign Turris I see why they are taking this gamble.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:59 am 
Big in Japan

The real wild card here is the futures COL got.

Kamenev has torn up the AHL for over two years and was just caught up in a logjam there. He'll go to Denver right away.

Girard is 19 and got off to a fast start. Easy to get excited about. Hope they don't give him too much pressure early on.

Bowers is basically like getting a lower first-round pick.

Hammond done. Just money moving hands.

3 picks should come in handy.

So no franchise altering player here, but Kamenev could become a no. 2 centre, Girard a top-4 and the 3 picks could turn into guys. So not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Clark Aitken ripped into the Avs yesterday on twitter for how this whole shitshow went down.

https://twitter.com/clrkaitken/status/9 ... 6039928832

I shouldn't have read this post so fast. For a sec there I thought the American Idol runner-up was weighing in. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The real wild card here is the futures COL got.

Kamenev has torn up the AHL for over two years and was just caught up in a logjam there. He'll go to Denver right away.

Girard is 19 and got off to a fast start. Easy to get excited about. Hope they don't give him too much pressure early on.

Bowers is basically like getting a lower first-round pick.

Hammond done. Just money moving hands.

3 picks should come in handy.

So no franchise altering player here, but Kamenev could become a no. 2 centre, Girard a top-4 and the 3 picks could turn into guys. So not bad.

I'm very interested to see what they do with Girard. Avs depth chart on D is surprisingly deep, though I'm reading now that rookie Anton Lindholm is hurt. That leaves them with 7th guys, and that 7th guy (Mironov) is probably KHL-bound here any day now. That leaves some really "meh" prospects and career AHLers on the farm, so I doubt Girard will have trouble cracking the top six.

Kamenev should be there though I'm guessing they're gonna wait at least until after the Sweden series trip. Avs have a surprising surplus of forwards as well, though they're banged up to hell. Bednar said right away that J.T. Compher is now the Avs' 2nd line center, which makes me wonder how close he is to returning. Apparently Tyson Jost is very close to returning as well.

Like what I'm reading about Bowers, sounds like a decent bottom six guy (looks like he's friggin' 12 though). For years, the Avs have seemingly been in DGAF mode when it comes to two-way and defensive forwards, something I've screamed about for a long time. They've made up for that in a big way the last year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I'm guessing this had to be a 3-way because Nashville wouldn't trade for Duchene to be the upgrade at 2C they got in Turris because they couldn't extend Duchene?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:10 pm 

hammer wrote:
I'm guessing this had to be a 3-way because Nashville wouldn't trade for Duchene to be the upgrade at 2C they got in Turris because they couldn't extend Duchene?

Sounds like neither team was able to meet Sakic's asking price on their own. Rumors abounding that the Avs really liked both Thomas Chabot and Colin White, and both those names were nonstarters with Ottawa. Not sure what they wanted from Nashville.

I think Nashville came out the best on this one. Maybe long-term the Avs do, but right now they're a team fresh off a SCF run that just solidified their center corps 1-4 for years to come. Johansen-Turris-Bonino-Sissons is pretty damned good. I still think they need another forward to shore up their ES scoring which has been a problem this year, but they look very good right now.

Man-o-man those two games between the Avs and Sens in Sweden just got a TON more interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Nashville got a 2C and didn't give up Fiala, Tolvanen or Fabbro to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 am 

So far I believe Turris has scored a point in nearly every game he's played as a Pred.

Girard maybe hasn't been hugely productive per se but is currently on the top pairing in COL and posted a 70% CF in last night's 5-2 loss to the Preds, a game that many cited as being one of his worst since coming over, so there ya go. Sorry Canada, you ain't gettin' him back for the WJC.

All that remains is Duchene...yeesh. Dude's puttin' plenty of rubber on the net, it's just not going in. Sens have lost three straight, including a 3-0 shutout at the hands of the Rangers tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Ottawa on a bit of a dive and Duchene is now o points in 7 games and a -10. One guys does not make or break a team but the timing of this makes for horrible optics on the guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 am 

I think the biggest reason behind Ottawa's swoon is that Anderson hasn't been stellar. But it doesn't help that they were a middling scoring team to begin with and the big weapon they traded for is a bit snakebitten.

He got his first the other night against the Isles in a loss, the only goal the entire team scored. He was visibly relieved after scoring it. :lol:

I don't think Ottawa is anywhere near as close as last year's finish would suggest, I guess now we see how good Dorion will be at building around Duchene as opposed to Turris. One thing's for sure--he's gonna have to find a solution to the Bobby Ryan/Dion Phaneuf problem and it needs to happen soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Predictable/hysterically, some Isles fans are saying they totally should have traded for Duchene, since he scored against them. Fans are so amusing/infuriating.