OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Dallas looking to solidify their goaltending, and is probably willing to pay LV to take one of their other guys off their hands. Maybe they'll buy one or both out. That would be amazing.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I assume Niemi is a goner. He pretty much faceplanted last year and his cap hit is only slightly less than Lehtonen's, and both goalies have only one year remaining on their respective deals.

This is where former WJC hero Jack Campbell going bust really screwed Dallas over.

We could be seeing a VERY different Stars team come next year. I didn't realize they didn't have a lot of players signed.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 pm 

Bishop could still tell them to fuck off and not sign. Lots up in the air down there.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 am 
Big in Japan

Is Bishop really the answer? He's not that good anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Is Bishop really the answer? He's not that good anymore.

He's a better answer than their previous choices. And it just makes a hat trick of poor goalie decisions.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 am 
Big in Japan

Bishop signed for 6 years/29.5M. The Stars now have three goalies with longterm contracts on their roster. More moves coming.

I still think they'll regret investing in Bishop's declining years.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Bishop signed for 6 years/29.5M. The Stars now have three goalies with longterm contracts on their roster. More moves coming.

I still think they'll regret investing in Bishop's declining years.

Holy shit.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 pm 

Nill has had to take a whole shit-ton of gambles, and predictably, a few of them just plain didn't work out. This is pretty much his biggest gamble yet.

I think as far as the market is concerned, Dallas got him at a decent discount.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Nill has had to take a whole shit-ton of gambles, and predictably, a few of them just plain didn't work out. This is pretty much his biggest gamble yet.

I think as far as the market is concerned, Dallas got him at a decent discount.

Definitely. I was expecting about a 4th rounder for Halak at the deadline. :lol:
But they still took a chance (unless they had the old "hypothetical" discussion with his agent) by trading for him just to negotiate exclusively.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Bishop is an elite puck mover which will fit well within the Stars puck-dump defensive posture under Hitch.

Good move by Nill.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Bishop is an elite puck mover which will fit well within the Stars puck-dump defensive posture under Hitch.

Good move by Nill.

Not so sure the rest of the team fits though.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Good move by Nill.
Can Hitch play any other way?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:09 pm 

Good move by Nill.
Not so sure the rest of the team fits though.[/quote]Can Hitch play any other way?[/quote]

I don't think he's quite as stodgy as his rep suggests. I don't recall Vladimir Tarasenko being forced into a two-way role. This is still a very un-Hitch-like team, though I'd have also said this was a very un-Ruff-like team, and he did great with them up until the goaltending fell apart.

This may be completely erroneous but I almost feel like Nill is leaning a little too hard on his experience in the Red Wings organization. He defied convention with a lot of the moves he made in Dallas, but now appears to be trying to remake the Stars into a very conventional team. The Wings have always had good balance, I can't help but think that's what he's aiming for, but IMO he should've gone the other route and made this team faster, more run-and-gun. Of course a team like that requires elite goaltending, which Bishop can be...sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Good move by Nill.
Can Hitch play any other way?
Quote:
I don't think he's quite as stodgy as his rep suggests. I don't recall Vladimir Tarasenko being forced into a two-way role. This is still a very un-Hitch-like team, though I'd have also said this was a very un-Ruff-like team, and he did great with them up until the goaltending fell apart. This may be completely erroneous but I almost feel like Nill is leaning a little too hard on his experience in the Red Wings organization. He defied convention with a lot of the moves he made in Dallas, but now appears to be trying to remake the Stars into a very conventional team. The Wings have always had good balance, I can't help but think that's what he's aiming for, but IMO he should've gone the other route and made this team faster, more run-and-gun. Of course a team like that requires elite goaltending, which Bishop can be...sometimes.
Bet the Stars make the playoffs next year.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:51 pm 

We'll see. If they don't I think Nill is as good as fired. But they're gonna need better seasons from Seguin/Benn/Spezza/Klingberg and absolutely need better goaltending. Maybe Bishop/Lehtonen can get it done, maybe it can't. They're likely gonna need both because I'm pretty sure both of them are unable to shoulder a full season workload.