It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Gudbranson + a 5th to Vancouver

for

Jared McCann, a 2nd and a 4th

all picks are 2016

Cats get: solid forward prospect who was a 1st round pick in 2014, replenish picks after spending some at trade deadline

Vancouver gets: #3 overall pick from 2011, hasn't set the world on fire in FL but by most accounts has been improving steadily, coveted right handed shot on D.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:01 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Value wise kinda think the Nucks overpaid but Gudbranson has youth on his side still so could improve more.

The big concern I'd have if the Nucks where my team is that this seems like a push for mediocrity is in the works which is a horrible place to be particularly if you have a GM that thinks his job is dependent on being in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Guddy's little more than a #4 d-man with below average puck skills. No idea what level McCann is at so I can't really say who really got better value.

The article I read focused more on the fact that while Gudbranson is more or less a high-pick bust, he's far more useful already than Griffin Reinhart has proven to be, and the Oilers paid more for Reinhart.

The timing on this is so odd. I didn't even know you could pull deals off during the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:01 pm 
Big in Japan

I feel like when Gudbranson was drafted, the big lug shutdown dman was still a thing. Now, teams are starting to realize all those blocked shots and hits tell an underlying tale. The new number crunchers in Miami must have looked beyond Gudburger's improved play in 2015-16 and realized he'll never have the mobility/puckhandling skills needed from a big minute man.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@GeorgeRichards 58m58 minutes ago
One reason #FlaPanthers traded Erik Gudbranson: told he turned down four year deal worth $4.5m per before taking one-year bridge at $3.5.

Another gud reason to get rid of him.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
I feel like when Gudbranson was drafted, the big lug shutdown dman was still a thing. Now, teams are starting to realize all those blocked shots and hits tell an underlying tale. The new number crunchers in Miami must have looked beyond Gudburger's improved play in 2015-16 and realized he'll never have the mobility/puckhandling skills needed from a big minute man.

Apparently he was a fantastic skater for his size and pretty decent offensively in junior. Just never put the skills together in the NHL. People are saying this is a terrible deal for Van because of fancy stats. Seems to be the concensus in the advanced stats crowd. Probably like the Reinhart deal where the draft position seems bring in a higher return than is likely warranted.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Maybe he'll be the next Cam Barker: too awkward for the NHL, but a top Dman in Russia.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:50 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
Guddy's little more than a #4 d-man with below average puck skills.
TSN1040 reported today that Tyson Barrie trade talks stalled between the Avs and Nucks.

Yes Guddy is a #4 D-man (as opposed to even #3) which is precisely what the Canucks need - a shut down D-man with an intimidating presence. Not a puck moving offensive threat (well they need that too, but that's a story for a different day). If you look at the Sharks and Blues series, each team have an enormous back end. The West and in particular the Pacific Division is still a blood sport. The Canucks were completely manhandled this season which is a problem in itself.

Anyways, say goodbye to Hamhuis Vancouver. The Canucks seem to think Guddy will compliment Hutton's development and o-side instincts for the game, with a good first pass and responsible in his own end etc.

I can understand the logic behind the Canucks going after a young top 4 D-man. Their back end was a mess last year. What I struggle to comprehend is how they think they are going score goals in the coming years. They should be compiling draft picks and prospects, not trading them away.

The trade would have looked more palatable if they didn't throw in that 33rd pick.

Fancy stats people don't like the deal for Vancouver, but everyone else seems to like the kid's heart and applied skill set for what he is, re-affirming Benning's meat and potatoes approach.

Personally I'm ok with the trade. By all accounts, McCann's attitude over being a healthy scratch became a problem as the season progressed, which is saying a lot considering he could have easily played Junior or AHL hockey last year. Time will tell.

As for Florida, I understand this is was an asset management move, more of a salary dump than a hockey trade. Many pundits are claiming that Tallon has lost his hockey ops power and this was all Tom Rowe.

Also aren't the Panthers already 4 deep at Center for years to come? Not sure where McCann would fit in but maybe they think he can be a Winger (I think a mistake). Perhaps he's an ultra long term project or trade bait for another team.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:54 pm 

The emergence of Vinny Trochek gives them three good centers (Barkov and Bjugstad being the others) but they still probably felt the need for another two-way presence outside of Barkov, so McCann seems like a good pickup for them. Bolland is hurt all the damn time so this is likely a trade to replace him.

Florida still needs to beef up on the wings (outside of Jagr and Huberdeau there ain't much from what I can see) and seek out another top-four guy, but other than that I think they're set. I assume Willie Mitchell isn't coming back, and Campbell will probably re-sign for maybe 1-2 years.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:59 am 

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
@GeorgeRichards 58m58 minutes ago
One reason #FlaPanthers traded Erik Gudbranson: told he turned down four year deal worth $4.5m per before taking one-year bridge at $3.5.
Another gud reason to get rid of him.
George Richards has since stated that his earlier tweet that Erik Gudbranson turned down a four-year deal has been refuted by both the Panthers and his agent.

Interesting talk by George Richards here though:

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancou ... -overblown

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:40 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Announcers kept saying how he'd be such a big factor vs the Isles in Round 1. He wasn't.

Gotta love Luongo's sense of humor. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:48 am 
Old Man of the Post

My first reaction was that adding the 2nd rounder was an overpayment; now that I read the fancy stat arguments, I'm even more concerned... The pundits are saying that since he's a right-shot defensive defenceman with size, it makes him more valuable in a heavy Pac division. But it still seems like an overpayment...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 am 

Well if the trade didn't bother you enough - this ought to concern you even more. Dreger spoke with Benning and it sounds like they would look at moving their 5 pick to put them in a trade position to make the playoffs next season.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the- ... enovation/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:02 am 
King of the One-Liner

I could see it if playoffs is the be all goal, but likely for youth that can play now with control and not high paid vets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:44 am 
Big in Japan

Hard to fully rebuild with the Sedins on their last legs. Just ride it out, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:29 pm 

This feels like Messier hanging out in NY for waaaaaay too long. The Rangers actually did "downsize" a bit the year following his departure and actually enjoyed some unexpected success for a time. Of course that just kickstarted the buying spree all over again, but y'know.