OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "The code"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I could swear we had a topic for this but I can't find it.

What's the big deal about Greig taking a slap shot into the empty net? Don't want it to happen? Tell Nylander to get his point shot through, or Tavares to hit the fucking net. "The code" is such bullshit in some cases, and this is one (to me anyway). Then you end up with Rielly, who can't even spell his own last name correctly, likely getting suspended for a crosscheck to Greig's head. There's a fucking code for ya! Wasn't Rielly a Lady Byng finalist in the past?

Wouldn't it be worse if Greig stood in front of the Leaf's empty net, waiting for Rielly to juuuuuust about get to him, then slide it into the empty net? Are players allowed to score empty netters on backhands? Is that allowed? What about when it's a 2-0, are they allowed to slide it over to the guy who hasn't scored in a while? Does the third goal count as a hat trick if isn't into an empty net? Does it need an asterisk???

Were the Leafs really upset about the breaking of "the code" or were they upset about getting swept by a cellar dweller/rival? Sniveling whiners.

In the words of Shoresy, "so dumb"!

Post subject: Re: "The code"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hockey is literally the only sport where a guy showboating sends more fans and players into a rage than an actual, egregiously dirty hit.

If NBA players reacted the same way to those breakaway circus dunks you see on a regular basis, basketball games would never finish.

We also had a debate on "The Code" not that long agao as it pertains to star players. Jennifer Botterill pushed back against the notion that if a star player gets hurt as a result of a cheap shot, then the other team's star player had better watch out. Guys like Jamal Mayers and Sam Cosentino were seemingly just fine with this madness.

"The Code" is complete and total bullshit. Always has been, always will be.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:04 pm 
Big in Japan

This is about Toronto being desperate for a pulse and Rielly clubbing a guy for no reason in garbage time is as close as they'll get. Toronto media wants to feel like it's a move, even though it probably isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:40 pm 

Are some of those Toronto media multi-sport writers? I'd love to see their stance on Bautista flipping his bat and how that stood against baseball's code.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:37 am 

Rielly gets 5 games. I thought it should have been more. First offense helps him, but to me, Rielly turning and following Greig shows intent. NHL Wheel of Random Justice! Step on up and give a spin!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 am 
Big in Japan

I thought he would get less, but deserved more. Goes to show what I know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
I thought he would get less, but deserved more. Goes to show what I know.

Yeah that sums up my thoughts as well.

I would've given him ten. No place for that, I don't care if Grieg chirped Tessa Virtue.

Apparently Brad Treliving is holding a presser about it, which I'm hoping it a big long bitchfest. I guess the Leafs are all bent outta shape that the suspension was announced before they were told directly the day of the game. Hey, y'all knew he wasn't going to play last night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:04 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I guess the Leafs are all bent outta shape that the suspension was announced before they were told directly the day of the game.

Only the NHL DoPS can literally get EVERYTHING wrong. :haha:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 pm 
Big in Japan

A pal on Twitter said "The Leafs do drama while everyone else plays hockey."

Ouch!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:34 pm 

E.L. wrote:
A pal on Twitter said "The Leafs do drama while everyone else plays hockey."

Ouch!

Pretty accurate.

And now the PA is appealing for Rielly. I'll never understand how the PA does this. I get it from the perspective that one of their members is losing pay due to a suspension, but he got suspended for attempting to injure another member for breaking an imaginary code. So dumb!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:09 pm 
King of Men

I don't expect guys like Torts or DS to get it any longer...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/it ... ng-nhlers/

Respect for old school dogma of any kind is a thing of the past now. Right or wrong...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm 
OTPoliceman

harmfuljays wrote:
I don't expect guys like Torts or DS to get it any longer...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/it ... ng-nhlers/

Respect for old school dogma of any kind is a thing of the past now. Right or wrong...

Sooner or later some coaches age out. Torts, DS, Babcock are all my age and sometimes our values are not those of the twenty somethings two generations younger than us. Some coaches like Joel Quennville (whose participation in the Blackhawks sex abuse coverup cost him his job, not his coaching style) and Scotty Bowman are able to defy the aging out process but it's rare. Mike Keenan aged out about 10 years ago in the NHL when he was around 65 and he, Sutter and Babcock felt it was OK to lie and mindfuck players as part of motivation. You can be a hard ass as a coach but you'd better be honest. And win. Jakob Voracek has recently come out and called Alain Vigneault a backstabber when he coached the Flyers. It's ironic since we've seen Keenan, Vigneault and Torterella as coaches here in Vancouver and saw their flaws up close.

It's like myself and my wife, Jay. Neither of us would like to be in the workforce currently with the non binary they/them thing, it's too easy for an HR department or Human Rights Commission to find fault in what is being said. But that's us aging out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:08 pm 
King of Men

Understood....I also had this conversation with my buddy over the holidays who is a teacher, eligible to exit the mainstream work force, and voiced the exact same concern as you listed above. There comes a time where we all must step aside....I wish more folks would embrace that as part of the natural cycle and society would encourage us do so gracefully and respectfully.