OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:04 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
Yikes...I don't know that's assuming that the organization is interested in background checks for everyone or delving into everyone's life outside hockey. I don't know if that's something that occurs today but that's pretty sad to think about. Investigating all potential employees to protect the company/brand.......he wasn't in the law process at that time so I am not sure why they would have focused on something off the ice that still didn't even exist yet.

I understand what you are saying but I certainly don't like where its going.

Again though....I can't understand why the Flames would double down on deception. This isn't UFO disclosure.

I am just wondering if teams will start to look into someone's past prior to spending a 1st round pick on them. Between this and the kid who'd bullied a special needs kid (and tons of people seemed to know about it), I just wonder if teams will look into their character and background more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:31 am 
King of Men

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/sports-pm ... 5d616d056b

An interesting legal perspective on the fate of these players careers

Code of Conduct breach.

I am sure the lawyers will be well paid for years on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:36 pm 

I'm not sure investigating the players is the issue. It's the culture that is problematic. They had to have know about Steven Downie's racism and bullying of Akim Aliu, Kyle Beach and his experiences, Graham James rape of junior hockey players etc. Theo Fleury has problems, alcoholism and emotional stability derived from experiences with James. That should be seen with compassion and understanding and not held against him preventing him from being in the HHoF.

Hockey culture doesn't care. Winning and money are the driving issues, everything else is looked at as something to be ignored. Although I guess this crap happens in every sport. If USA women's gymnastics and university of Michigan can cover for Larry Nassar for years no where is safe from corrupted culture.

There is a very strong tendency in an organization to become self-serving, insular and self-protecting. Not sure how to over come this. Perhaps an independent auditor/ombudsmen for every organization and company?

Quote:
Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration. Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc. The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:57 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I think, unfortunately, that all orgs are self-serving and know stuff happens behind the scenes. My company defended a VP who sexually harassed women for decades. He finally got caught on video and the person who had the video threatened to publicize the video and the fact that he was still there. That finally got him fired, after over 20 complaints over the years. But yeah, hockey is full of entitled kids and parents/coaches who just keep repeating idiotic things like "boys will be boys" or "but he's a good kid". When does a kid stop being considered "good"? How many allegations does it take for people to believe it? How many allegations never get made because victims know they won't get anywhere? Tons.

The reason I wonder about teams hiring a PI or doing better background checks is self serving for them. You don't want to burn a first round pick on a kid who is going to jail, or at least gets called out for having done something so heinous that you need to cut ties with them. It's too tough to rebuild through the draft as it is with 32 teams, but if you lose your first rounder, you're nailing your foot to the track right before the race starts. So I'm wondering if teams will try to protect themselves by knowing more about the kids they're about to draft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Apparently there is video of the whole thing that got passed around to teammates when it happened. So many layers to this.

harmfuljays wrote:
I can't see any reason for the organization to compound lies as I am sure some Canadian journalist would sniff it out.

The only two people that seem to have been sniffing out anything like these stories are Rick Westhead and Katie Strang. They really are the two most important voices in NA sports journalism(and sports itself). Too many just fucking worried about their access.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:23 pm 
King of Men

Hockey gets front page treatment....not of the good kind.

This is a bizarre news conference full of "feelings". I don't like this chief's behaviour.....borders on disingenuous. Clearly there is a lot of money at play here and they needed a full week to prepare for this news conference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
Hockey gets front page treatment....not of the good kind.

This is a bizarre news conference full of "feelings". I don't like this chief's behaviour.....borders on disingenuous. Clearly there is a lot of money at play here and they needed a full week to prepare for this news conference.

Yeah I haven't watched this presser myself but there's a lot of lip service from what I've been told. Talk is cheap--do your job properly and prosecute these guys to the fullest extent of the law, and let justice fall where it may.