OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, here's what we know.

The investigation into the alleged sexual assault that took place during the 2018 World Junior Championship that took place after a Team Canada event in which several members attended is now complete.

There has been a delay in the names being released, reportedly because some players who objected to their names being included were fighting it.

Both Dillon Dube and Carter Hart, former members of that team, have taken separate leaves of absence from their respective clubs in the scope of a week.

Other members of that team include Cale Makar (who has maintained he was not at the event in question) and Drake Batherson, and Jordan Kyrou. Another member, Alex Formenton, has opted to sign in Switzerland the last two seasons rather than the Senators.

Carter Hart and other members of that WJC team went "dark" on social media, immediately making their accounts private, though apparently guys like Dube already had theirs set up that way.

Speculation suggests that we're about to know the players the accuser has named and holy shit I don't recall a bomb of this magnitude being dropped in sports before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, here's what we know.

The investigation into the alleged sexual assault that took place during the 2018 World Junior Championship that took place after a Team Canada event in which several members attended is now complete.

There has been a delay in the names being released, reportedly because some players who objected to their names being included were fighting it.

Both Dillon Dube and Carter Hart, former members of that team, have taken separate leaves of absence from their respective clubs in the scope of a week.

Other members of that team include Cale Makar (who has maintained he was not at the event in question) and Drake Batherson, and Jordan Kyrou. Another member, Alex Formenton, has opted to sign in Switzerland the last two seasons rather than the Senators.

Carter Hart and other members of that WJC team went "dark" on social media, immediately making their accounts private, though apparently guys like Dube already had theirs set up that way.

Speculation suggests that we're about to know the players the accuser has named and holy shit I don't recall a bomb of this magnitude being dropped in sports before.

Wow. If they did it, I hope they're all punished to the full extent of the law. Enough of this shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:14 pm 

And here we go.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/report ... -1.2066984

Five members of the 2018 WJC Canadian team ordered to surrender to London, Ontario Police.

Pretty sure we already know who two of those players are. A possible third is Alex Formenton. And if we're going off of social media (I know, I know) then Brett Howden might also be a possibility.

It's obviously speculation at this point, we will know more in the days and weeks to come. Either way, a very, very dark day. I hope whatever happens, justice is served.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:51 pm 
Big in Japan

We got our rapey five: Dube, Hart, Formenton, McLeod, Foote all take leave of absences from their teams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 pm 
King of Men

I thought it was 8, now its 5? I see..5 participants other observers. Most women do not appreciate this treatment unless its part of a paid profession. Here is additional info before they are marched all the way to the gallows of the public square (not saying they don't deserve it). In some other country they would be presidential candidates.

I would assume the other shoe also drops for the additional 3 who stood by if the story is accurate.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-chl-se ... -1.1804861

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:36 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
I thought it was 8, now its 5? I see..5 participants other observers. Most women do not appreciate this treatment unless its part of a paid profession. Here is additional info before they are marched all the way to the gallows of the public square (not saying they don't deserve it). In some other country they would be presidential candidates.

I would assume the other shoe also drops for the additional 3 who stood by if the story is accurate.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-chl-se ... -1.1804861

I believe that yes, there were reportedly eight players whom have been accused, criminal charges only brought against five. Whether that speaks to the level of involvement or just how successful they thought they'd be prosecuting the five as opposed to all eight, I don't know. I know there was an agent who came forward who said his client was asked to come into the room and said he was "confused" by what he witnessed, and left after roughly 10 minutes. Don't know if that kid is one of the "eight" in question or not.

I'm wondering if, even if there's someone who escaped criminal prosecution, they might still face discipline from the league. They've conducted their own investigation.

The fact that Adam Foote's son is one of the alleged perpetrators rattles me even further, not gonna lie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:38 pm 

Should also be noted that the NHL is being put on blast today because they just happened to release news of possible expansion at almost the exact same fucking time this news story broke. No way that's a coincidence.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 pm 

So the latest is that Correy Perry got drunk and made a pass at an NBC employee. If this is true, seems like a huge over reaction on the part of the Blackhawks. And if they let all the Connor Bedard's Mom rumours fly around over this, and not open up about the issue that is actually worse to me than what Correy may have done.

Caveat, "make a pass" can range from mildly flirty to egregiously offensive, so there is that.

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl/news/M ... ontroversy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:17 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
So the latest is that Correy Perry got drunk and made a pass at an NBC employee. If this is true, seems like a huge over reaction on the part of the Blackhawks. And if they let all the Connor Bedard's Mom rumours fly around over this, and not open up about the issue that is actually worse to me than what Correy may have done.

Caveat, "make a pass" can range from mildly flirty to egregiously offensive, so there is that.

Well, let's remember that the Blackhawks are the shit bags who swept the Brad Aldrich situation under the carpet and put filing cabinets full of bricks on top of the carpet for 11 years. If any org should "overreact" to anything these days, it's them. But I have a feeling they didn't waive him because he said she looked pretty or something like that. I am 100% assuming, but I'm assuming it was much worse than that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:24 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Well, let's remember that the Blackhawks are the shit bags who swept the Brad Aldrich situation under the carpet and put filing cabinets full of bricks on top of the carpet for 11 years. If any org should "overreact" to anything these days, it's them. But I have a feeling they didn't waive him because he said she looked pretty or something like that. I am 100% assuming, but I'm assuming it was much worse than that.

Yes, that's mainly the reason why they did what they did, and have hinted as much. If it had been any other organization it probably would've been swept under the rug but the Hawks said no, we're dealing with this. Mind you, I think they were doing it purely from a PR/legal standpoint and not because they have become a more morally-upstanding organization (the actions they're already taking against the newest accuser of Brad Aldrich proves they've learned NOTHING) but they nipped this one in the bud quickly.

But at least in this instance the person at the center of it has expressed what appears to be genuine remorse and contrition, unlike a lot of other situations like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:25 pm 

https://twitter.com/MarnaNightingal/sta ... 6371558618

This thread, especially the first and last entries, are deeply, deeply disturbing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:48 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
https://twitter.com/MarnaNightingal/status/1750548716371558618

This thread, especially the first and last entries, are deeply, deeply disturbing.

Disgusting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:20 pm 
OTP Historian

Quote:
one thing really stood out to me in this story: consensual sex was an option for those players that night. They made a choice to do this instead.

As a sex educator, that seems like a really weird thing to say. Rape and sexual assault is nearly always about power and everything that goes with it, not the sex itself.

The whole thing is fucked and hopefully justice is administered.

I remember guys on my hockey team saying that a bunch of the team put out statements in public flat out denying any involvement while a bunch were radio silent and a few of the radio silent ones are the accused now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
As a sex educator, that seems like a really weird thing to say. Rape and sexual assault is nearly always about power and everything that goes with it, not the sex itself.

The whole thing is fucked and hopefully justice is administered.

I remember guys on my hockey team saying that a bunch of the team put out statements in public flat out denying any involvement while a bunch were radio silent and a few of the radio silent ones are the accused now.

Yeah, Cale Makar immediately said he was not present at the event that led to the rape.

From what I've read the Flyers have known this was coming for a while and Briere tried like hell to trade Carter Hart. Don't look like that's gonna happen now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:34 pm 

Bosc wrote:
As a sex educator, ...

For a second I thought you meant you were a sex educator and I was like "how did we not know that?" :lol: Never mind. Back to the seriousness of the thread.

Not that I feel bad for him, but Briere has had a rough go of his GM tenure with off-ice stuff. His son the wheelchair tosser and now Hart the rapist (allegedlies).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:25 pm 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/five-2018-wjc-pl ... -1.2069655

All five players have been formally charged, all five have indicated through their legal counsel that they will submit not guilty pleas.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted (or X'ed, I don't know) that he consulted a lawyer with expertise on crimes and prosecutions of this nature and expects that the trial won't even begin until 2026.

I really don't see any chance of these five players reviving their NHL careers unless there is a complete and total exoneration. And we may not see that in the next two years or so.

I just don't have much sympathy for the accused here. Even if you believe they engaged in a consensual sexual encounter, they engaged in positively abhorrent behavior with a 17-year-old girl when they should've just been focusing on playing hockey. I could not give less of a fuck about their professional careers at this point. But most of my anger surrounds the culture than enabled them, the people in Hockey Canada who were supposed to be supervising them closely were likely the same people who gave them and this teenage girl free and easy access to alcohol.

Whatever happens from here on out it's going to be sad, frustrating, heartbreaking, infuriating, and altogether ugly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:39 am 

I saw yesterday that the Flames say Dube asked for the leave of absence for his mental health, and the team claims they had no knowledge of the allegations. Is that possible in 2024? Or is this a team making it all worse by trying to pretend they didn't know?

Found the link- https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-say-club-was-unaware-of-pending-charge-when-dube-was-granted-leave/

This whole thing just gets worse every day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:30 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
I saw yesterday that the Flames say Dube asked for the leave of absence for his mental health, and the team claims they had no knowledge of the allegations. Is that possible in 2024? Or is this a team making it all worse by trying to pretend they didn't know?

Found the link- https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-say-club-was-unaware-of-pending-charge-when-dube-was-granted-leave/

I was actually going to post about this elsewhere. If they DID know using mental health as a smoke screen or for distance is a questionable tactic. If they DIDN'T......which is at first glance doubtful even though Craig had a lot going on then that could be understandable. Dube has had a horrible year and obviously something was eating at him that was affecting his play whether it was this or something else. With the dramatic drop off I can't imagine someone didn't sit down with this guy to try and figure out what the problem was. I could see where he wouldn't tell them...because they probably would have dropped him immediately so maybe.....

I can't see any reason for the organization to compound lies as I am sure some Canadian journalist would sniff it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:36 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I was actually going to post about this elsewhere. If they DID know using mental health as a smoke screen or for distance is a questionable tactic. If they DIDN'T......which is at first glance doubtful even though Craig had a lot going on then that could be understandable. Dube has had a horrible year and obviously something was eating at him that was affecting his play whether it was this or something else. With the dramatic drop off I can't imagine someone didn't sit down with this guy to try and figure out what the problem was. I could see where he wouldn't tell them...because they probably would have dropped him immediately so maybe.....

I can't see any reason for the organization to compound lies as I am sure some Canadian journalist would sniff it out.

But fans have figured out who the 8 possibly were. An organization wouldn't? Like the whole team has been under suspicion for a while, and Dube was on the team. Can they really just be that naive? I think teams will start hiring private investigators to look into 1st round picks, at least. Too much is riding on these kids.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:48 am 
King of Men

Yikes...I don't know that's assuming that the organization is interested in background checks for everyone or delving into everyone's life outside hockey. I don't know if that's something that occurs today but that's pretty sad to think about. Investigating all potential employees to protect the company/brand.......he wasn't in the law process at that time so I am not sure why they would have focused on something off the ice that still didn't even exist yet.

I understand what you are saying but I certainly don't like where its going.

Again though....I can't understand why the Flames would double down on deception. This isn't UFO disclosure.