OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:08 am 
King of Men

I used to do this quite a bit back in the 90s, early 2000s....in fact every time the Bruins or Flames were in town I was there. It was a fairly cheap ticket and the atmosphere was good.

Fast forward to the 2020s...not sure who these people are attending the games or with season tickets but they have far more money and desire than I do.

I have not paid to see an NHL game at the arena since before the scamdemic. In fact, the last time I actually saw a game LIVE in Denver was 2021 when I got a free invite.

The Avs won the cup and free/cheap tickets went POOF!

Lets start with the price for just one game.....$90 for nose bleeds (good tix $150 plus)? $30 for parking? $10-12 for a beer? $10-15 for Lemonade and/or Nachos?

Then let's factor in hassle.....getting to the rink and parking....standing in line at the pisser and everywhere else....cramming into those seats...and God forbid LEAVING. I was never one of those guys that would leave early....in fact I used to scoff at them. Now I get it.......you have to leave early or be stuck in ridiculous traffic (don't forget your piss bottle).

So let's compare that to the alternative.........State of the art TV in the mans cave, private pisser, cold beer for less than $1 a piece, no idiots unless you act like one (and even then there is no assault), Free parking, stadium seating, customized goal horn, multiple angles and witty commentary, all season long for the price of some technology and a subscription or 2.

For me personally its a no-brainer and the back breaker for me was the change in fan behaviour at the whatever name its called Pepsi Center now. But overall its just not affordable and the bang for the buck isn't there for a common fan any longer. Even as an older fan with a paycheck that could probably support some games I choose not to spend my money in this way.

While I am sure tonight will be yet another invasion of Bruins fans at the Pepsi Center, I will be happy at home in my cave!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I agree. I used to love going to games, but it's so damned expensive now. We used to go to lots of AHL games, but the tix are the only cheap things. The parking costs have risen big time, food is a total rip off, and if you want to buy any merch, bend over.

Now the PWHL has a team fairly local to us (Bridgeport- same home rink as the AHL games we used to attend pretty often). Their tickets are criminally cheap, but I assume the parking and arena food will be the same rip off prices. We used to eat on the way to games, but you always want something during a game.

And yeah, I pay a shitload for my internet/streaming services, so I generally prefer to just sit on my couch and if the game sucks, I can go do something or change the channel. I've attended a few games where the home team got blown out. After you've dropped a bunch of money on that game, it really pisses you off when they don't show up to play. My wife offered to get us Isles tix for my birthday. I said no way. I'm not ruining my birthday (not that I really care about it, but it's more about the $) if they don't show up again.

My wife and I used to have a dream of taking a tour some year and seeing games in all 32 NHL rinks (think it was 30 when we set that goal :lol: ). Now, will we ever be able to afford that? I doubt it! Although we're looking at a camper van instead of a vacation place for retirement. Maybe we could just drive around, sleeping in parking lots to do it. I've also thought we should do a vlog, and see if we could score free tickets to any of the games. Doubtful, but you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:38 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:

And yeah, I pay a shitload for my internet/streaming services, so I generally prefer to just sit on my couch and if the game sucks, I can go do something or change the channel. I've attended a few games where the home team got blown out. After you've dropped a bunch of money on that game, it really pisses you off when they don't show up to play. My wife offered to get us Isles tix for my birthday. I said no way. I'm not ruining my birthday (not that I really care about it, but it's more about the $) if they don't show up again.

My wife and I used to have a dream of taking a tour some year and seeing games in all 32 NHL rinks (think it was 30 when we set that goal :lol: ). Now, will we ever be able to afford that? I doubt it! Although we're looking at a camper van instead of a vacation place for retirement. Maybe we could just drive around, sleeping in parking lots to do it. I've also thought we should do a vlog, and see if we could score free tickets to any of the games. Doubtful, but you never know.

Crazy...I said the same thing when my wife asked me if I wanted to go to a game on my birthday. Thanks....but no thanks.

I also had that idea of one day going to different rinks......I've been to a few around the country but.......Calgary didn't want to cooperate last time I was there and Boston is just so damn expensive as a city.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:34 pm 

We went to a game in Boston like 20-25 years ago, I think in the first year they moved from the old Boston Garden. TD Bank Center or Fleet Center? Some bank...

Been to Nassau Coliseum & Barclays (Isles - haven't been to UBS yet), MSG (Rangers), Flyers, Sabres, Panthers and the original Coyotes arena that they shared with the Suns. I hadn't realized I'd been to that many. :lol: Mrs18 wasn't with me for Philly (Miss18.1 was) or Buffalo (I was alone in town for a conference). So I'll have to repeat a few. I always wanted to follow the Isles to all the arenas, but that also sounds like a recipe for a lot of let downs.

And I just realized we came up with this idea in the Coyotes' arena in 1996, so there were only 26 teams back then, and you could get tickets at most arenas for like $25 in the nosebleeds. Much more doable. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:29 pm 
King of Men

:lol:

Yeah when I had that idea I was young too...and I had the desire but not the finances. Now its the other way around!

I did say this in the 50 thread...

Quote:
Now I am f'n old and things I might have done or should have done are just things that aren't done. Not saying that they can't be done....but more than likely the ship has sailed on a lot of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:09 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
:lol:

Yeah when I had that idea I was young too...and I had the desire but not the finances. Now its the other way around!

I did say this in the 50 thread...

Quote:
Now I am f'n old and things I might have done or should have done are just things that aren't done. Not saying that they can't be done....but more than likely the ship has sailed on a lot of it.

Yeah, although looking at ticket prices, it probably would have been easier to do back when we thought we were poor. :lol: I also just want an excuse to tour around the US.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

I agree with both of you guys.

I have been to these arena's

Montreal
Quebec
Ottawa
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Buffalo
MSG
Phoenix, both old and new

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:03 pm 
OTP Historian

I'm planning to go to a Wings game in Buffalo at some point. Way closer than Detroit, can be as close travel-time wise as Toronto, and likely cheaper than both.

We went to a Wings game at Little Caesar's for my 40th. Weekend night, so we stayed over in Windsor. Probably cost us close to $800 all said and done for the 4 of us. Nice to do once for sure but that's certainly not a regular thing. A weekend afternoon game where we don't stay over would be a lot of driving for one day but more feasible.