OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:39 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I thought we had a thread about this but if we did it was older than dirt.

I'm sick and tired of some games being 3 point games. It's bullshit. Time to make regulation wins worth 3 points, OT/SO wins worth 2 points, and OT/SO loss worth 1 and 0 for a regulation loss. The only reason they aren't going to this is some NHL traditionalists will get their panties in a bunch that some original 6 records will be broken or something like that. It just makes sense to have ALL games worth the same amount of points, not some. Yes, the 76-77 Habs' 132 point record would be broken by most playoff teams every year, but it would be on a different scale and everyone would know that. So it would be no big deal.

The Kucherov LTIR/playoff loophole. I'm not begrudging Tampa for taking advantage of it. I just want that loophole closed in the future.

Other ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Extend overtime and try to instill some kind of rule (like over-and-back or something like that) so that teams can't just retreat back into their own zone every time. In all honesty I'd be okay with eradicating the shootout entirely and just ending in ties but we just can't have that.

I'd also restrict video review to a limited time period. No more of these ten goddamn minute reviews, if you can't make a determination within 30 seconds, then IMO there's not enough evidence to overturn. And fuck the "we gotta get it right" people, more time will not make things more accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm 

So like soccer- no back-passing over the red line? Interesting. Although I guess you'd have to say no back-skating. It would be funny to see players try to bank it off a guy back into his own zone for a call or something like that.
I agree about losing shootouts, but I don't see that happening. And I don't think the PA will go for longer OT.

I disagree that 30 seconds is enough time to get a review correct. I think like 2 minutes though. That should be enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:27 pm 

I'm sure we discussed this before but the NHL needs to change the way they schedule games too. Three Islander-Ranger games? Bullshit. And they were done with each other by Christmas? Steaming bullshit. There are some teams now playing inter-conference games, in late March. That's BS. Get most of them done early in the year when fans are still excited to go to any game. Let this time of year be the intra-division dog fights.

I get that they want a home/away vs all teams. Fine.
16 teams in the other conference, 2 games each, 32 games.
8 teams in the other division- 3 games each, alternating home/away for 2 each year, 24 games, 56 total so far.
7 teams in your division, 4 games each, 28 division games, giving 84 total. That's a 2.44% increase in games, so increase salaries and the cap that much, or, make the first round of the playoffs a 5 game series. I'd prefer the cap/salary increase to shortening playoff series. I like 7 games. But it's a good alternative for the PA to discuss. As if anything we say on here goes to the PA. :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:08 pm 

The scheduling does need to change. I'd be all for what the NFL does--there's always limited play between the two conferences, I think the league is too big now for every single team to see one another at least twice.

I'd shorten the schedule and do everything possible to eliminate back-to-backs, ESPECIALLY back-to-backs with travel. I cannot believe they have NHL teams play games, jump on the plane, show up at like 3am, and expect there to be quality hockey the next day. It never happens. The Leafs intentionally violated a CBA rule to try and get their guys in earlier to avoid inclement weather and had to pay a big ol' fine for it, which they did easily. But the point is, eliminate that bullshit and the quality of hockey will improve.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:02 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
The scheduling does need to change. I'd be all for what the NFL does--there's always limited play between the two conferences, I think the league is too big now for every single team to see one another at least twice.

I'd shorten the schedule and do everything possible to eliminate back-to-backs, ESPECIALLY back-to-backs with travel. I cannot believe they have NHL teams play games, jump on the plane, show up at like 3am, and expect there to be quality hockey the next day. It never happens. The Leafs intentionally violated a CBA rule to try and get their guys in earlier to avoid inclement weather and had to pay a big ol' fine for it, which they did easily. But the point is, eliminate that bullshit and the quality of hockey will improve.

Yeah, the back-to-backs are so dumb this year in particular! Last night the Isles had a 7 pm game in Columbus and are home for a 5 pm game today! 22 hours between games plus travel??? What the fuck? Fortunately the Sabres had a 7 pm game in Buffalo last night so they've got almost the same travel, but since when do they make teams travel on back-to-backs with short turn arounds? Isles skipped their morning skate because of it. So tonight's game should look like stir fried dog shit for both teams. Glad I'll miss it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Yeah, the back-to-backs are so dumb this year in particular! Last night the Isles had a 7 pm game in Columbus and are home for a 5 pm game today! 22 hours between games plus travel??? What the fuck? Fortunately the Sabres had a 7 pm game in Buffalo last night so they've got almost the same travel, but since when do they make teams travel on back-to-backs with short turn arounds? Isles skipped their morning skate because of it. So tonight's game should look like stir fried dog shit for both teams. Glad I'll miss it.

I've got a scheduling one for you. This game, in which the Wings had to travel from Detroit to Pittsburgh on a 3pm to 12:30pm start. While in the middle of a 5 games in 7 days stretch.

Quote:
Fucking ridiculous turnaround time on this one. 3:00pm start yesterday, and 12:30pm start today. Pitts didn't play Friday, and don't play tomorrow either. Great work on the scheduling.

https://offthepost.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... Pens#p8458

It would not, in fact, be the first time that season that the league completely fucked the Wings on scheduling against the Penguins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:27 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I've got a scheduling one for you. This game, in which the Wings had to travel from Detroit to Pittsburgh on a 3pm to 12:30pm start. While in the middle of a 5 games in 7 days stretch.

Quote:
Fucking ridiculous turnaround time on this one. 3:00pm start yesterday, and 12:30pm start today. Pitts didn't play Friday, and don't play tomorrow either. Great work on the scheduling.

It would not, in fact, be the first time that season that the league completely fucked the Wings on scheduling against the Penguins.

I always thought there was a rule that teams had to go at least 24 hours between start times on back-to-backs, but this year someone said 22 hours. That was on an Isles fan site, so maybe they were way off. I never bothered to look it up. I just tried and couldn't easily find it. Don't care enough to keep looking, but either way, it's bullshit to have teams traveling and playing on less than 24 hours between starts.

And yes, the Wings got fucked there. That's ridiculous. No team should have less than 24 between playing, especially if they have to travel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Quote:

I always thought there was a rule that teams had to go at least 24 hours between start times on back-to-backs, but this year someone said 22 hours. That was on an Isles fan site, so maybe they were way off. I never bothered to look it up. I just tried and couldn't easily find it. Don't care enough to keep looking, but either way, it's bullshit to have teams traveling and playing on less than 24 hours between starts.

And yes, the Wings got fucked there. That's ridiculous. No team should have less than 24 between playing, especially if they have to travel.

And the Penguins weren't even playing back-to-backs! There was zero reason to make it that early unless there was some BS from the national broadcast partner pushing for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:21 pm 

Boomer Gordon noted the other day that goalies do not follow the same rules as baseball pitchers when it comes to wins and losses. I didn't even know this but goalies are saddled with a loss if they give up the GWG. So Jordan Binnington (yes, I know, not the most sympathetic figure) took a loss the other night coming into relief for Hofer, the Blues were getting run out of the building and then stormed back with six goals, but because Binnington let in the seventh goal, he took the loss, not Hofer. That's ridiculous. They could fix that particular rule in five seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:37 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Boomer Gordon noted the other day that goalies do not follow the same rules as baseball pitchers when it comes to wins and losses. I didn't even know this but goalies are saddled with a loss if they give up the GWG. So Jordan Binnington (yes, I know, not the most sympathetic figure) took a loss the other night coming into relief for Hofer, the Blues were getting run out of the building and then stormed back with six goals, but because Binnington let in the seventh goal, he took the loss, not Hofer. That's ridiculous. They could fix that particular rule in five seconds.

How does the baseball loss get recorded? Because that sounds the same to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:37 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
How does the baseball loss get recorded? Because that sounds the same to me.

Baseball does more to give credit/blame to the correct pitcher though. Under hockey rules, if the pitcher inherits runners on base and let's say a couple of those guys score to give the opposition a lead, then the reliever gets the loss. In baseball, those baserunners are still credited to the previous pitcher.

Also, let's say the starter gives up six runs and the reliever only one, and the pitcher's team rallies to get within one run, but they still lose. Under hockey rules, since the reliever gave up the one run that ended up being the game-winner, he gets saddled with the loss. Under baseball rules, the original pitcher still gets the loss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:56 am 

I don't think this needed to change, but the NHL has banned all specialty warmup jerseys for next year. https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/florida-p ... ng-warmups

It's weird how all the media I see keeps highlighting that they're banning Pride jerseys, when it's ALL jerseys. No Hockey Fights Cancer warmup jerseys that can be auctioned off to help fund cancer research. No military appreciation jerseys, etc. So this is a case where people should be careful what they wish for because they'll get that and more. So many people are replying positively to Pride jerseys being banned, then they get mad when they hear military appreciation jerseys are also banned.

I also think it's in poor taste that the NHL announced this with a mere week to go in Pride month. Wait another week and announce it then, as most comment sections on social media are full of people yelling that they never wanted to see Pride jerseys, are sick of it being "rammed down their throats", etc. This should have been quietly announced amid big free agent signings. The NHL- botching things as usual.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:58 pm 
King of Men

Revamp OT....I f'n hate the Shootout.

Limit it to 15 minutes in immediate OT. 5 minutes 3 on 3, 5 minutes 2 on 2, 5 minutes 1 on 1. Shit you don't even need a shootout that way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:05 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Revamp OT....I f'n hate the Shootout.

Limit it to 15 minutes in immediate OT. 5 minutes 3 on 3, 5 minutes 2 on 2, 5 minutes 1 on 1. Shit you don't even need a shootout that way.

My beer league playoffs have 5 minute OTs going 5v5, 4v4, reducing down to 1v1. Never seen it get past 3v3, but of course, that's beer league. Just a step or two lower than the NHL... :lol: Regular season is 3v3 for 5, then a shootout. As much as I hate watching shootouts, I hate being in them even more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:01 pm 

I definitely didn't see this one coming- not only has the league done away with pride jersey nights, but now players are banned from using pride colored tape during even warmups. What in the Bud Light backlash is this? They've gone from promoting pride to banning it. The NHL is truly on its knees in front of the bigots now, bowing to them. Really have their finger on the pulsing members of the fan base here...

Imagine being scared by colored tape??? What delicate creatures.

If I was a player, I'd see how serious they are. I'd use a combination of American flag and pride tape. Push them into making a public statement and really expose themselves to the masses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:45 pm 
King of Men

To be fair....its not only Pride support but all social crusades (as you stated above). I like my hockey without all the need for supporting this or that. We have a certain element of the population that feels their way is the right way of thinking and everyone else is wrong. So that ruins it for everybody.

Chris18 wrote:
It's weird how all the media I see keeps highlighting that they're banning Pride jerseys, when it's ALL jerseys. No Hockey Fights Cancer warmup jerseys that can be auctioned off to help fund cancer research. No military appreciation jerseys, etc. So this is a case where people should be careful what they wish for because they'll get that and more. So many people are replying positively to Pride jerseys being banned, then they get mad when they hear military appreciation jerseys are also banned.

Quote:
The intended purpose of the initial memo, according to the league source, was to inform teams that they cannot wear any specialty sweaters during a game, in warmups or at an official practice. The source said the only off-ice restriction facing teams is that they can't force players to participate in events regarding the specialty causes, because some players might fear retribution or embarrassment if they decide to not take part.

Quote:
"players should be encouraged to express themselves off the ice"

I don't really get it.....not sure what tape had to do with anything.....it wasn't like anyone was asking everyone to tape their sticks in support. Seems like an over reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:03 pm 

There was never any sort of issue regarding Pride Tape. No pressure or obligation to use or it or not use it. To ban the use of that was completely and totally unnecessary. A solution to a problem that didn't fucking exist. The NHL went and made a mountain out of a molehill on top of their outwardly cowardly move to ban all warmup jerseys because a handful of homophobes lost their shit over a rainbow-colored sweater.

Anyway, it's to be expected with a league run by the likes of Bettman and Daly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:55 pm 

I'm kinda bummed nobody seemed to notice my childish puns/innuendos. Here or on an Isles site. Siiiiiiigh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:41 am 

The NHL walked back the rule on colored tape after consulting with the PA. Props to Travis Dermot for making the issue public by using pride tape and saying he'd deal with whatever consequences there were because the issue mattered to him.