OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:54 am 

Chris18 wrote:
The NHL walked back the rule on colored tape after consulting with the PA. Props to Travis Dermot for making the issue public by using pride tape and saying he'd deal with whatever consequences there were because the issue mattered to him.

Huge kudos to Travis Dermot for this. When the NHL banned the tape I figured someone would do this. There seemed to be no way the NHL would dare to punish someone for using rainbow tape, the blow back would be huge. However, I also thought it would be a star player, fringe players are more at risk, demotion to the AHL, sitting in the press box, etc more subtle attacks leaving the NHL with clean hands. So this was pretty ballsy of him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:28 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
The NHL walked back the rule on colored tape after consulting with the PA. Props to Travis Dermot for making the issue public by using pride tape and saying he'd deal with whatever consequences there were because the issue mattered to him.

Huge kudos to Travis Dermot for this. When the NHL banned the tape I figured someone would do this. There seemed to be no way the NHL would dare to punish someone for using rainbow tape, the blow back would be huge. However, I also thought it would be a star player, fringe players are more at risk, demotion to the AHL, sitting in the press box, etc more subtle attacks leaving the NHL with clean hands. So this was pretty ballsy of him.

I should have added that he said he knew he was potentially putting his career on the line. Said this really impacts someone close to him and he's shed tears over the issue many times. I assume he meant homophobia, not the banning of tape. :lol: But yeah, very ballsy of a fringe NHLer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:27 pm 
King of Men

heard about a great idea last night about limiting the offside challenge to 10 or 15 seconds after the infraction. Stops all this BS with it having little to no impact on play....like Conor Bedards goal last night against the Bs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
heard about a great idea last night about limiting the offside challenge to 10 or 15 seconds after the infraction. Stops all this BS with it having little to no impact on play....like Conor Bedards goal last night against the Bs.

GOD I would love that.

I also think that #1, a team has just a few seconds to challenge, and #2, they have to review it in REAL TIME. No slow-mo bullshit. If it's not readily obvious the play is offside, then fuck it, the goal stands.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:58 am 

https://theathletic.com/4997963/2023/10 ... 0cecM9un38

A rule that needs some revision- Shane Pinto just got busted for gambling on NHL games (allegedlies). Perhaps a league that has 1/4 of it's TV commercials for gambling sites, including past and present NHL superstars, needs to reevaluate the punishment for partaking in the gambling they are helping to promote, or allowing to be promoted during their games. How many ads on NHL rink boards are gambling sites? You can't let the tiger into the room and be surprised when someone gets bitten trying to pet it or something.

I don't think players gambling on NHL games is necessarily a good idea, but how the fuck can the league not have expected this? It's pure stupidity.

EDIT- I just saw an article that had a photo of Pinto wearing his Sens uniform from last season- with a "BET99" sticker on the helmet. Can't make this shit up. And he supposedly didn't bet on hockey at all. Maybe the league is saying that to save face, as people may look for times he made bonehead plays or missed good scoring chances and try to say he was playing for his bet, not his team. But if he wasn't betting on hockey, suspending him 41 games is crazy for a league generating shitloads of money from gambling. What's the message then? We encourage our fans to bet on our games, but we don't allow our players to do it because that would make them degens"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:17 pm 

After a former Penguin, playing in England, died yesterday from a skate cut to his neck, I wonder if the NHL or other leagues will start to enforce neck guards. Every time one of these things happens, I put my neck guard into my bag. But if I'm honest, I haven't actually worn one since shortly after the Clint Malarchuk incident. They are so uncomfortable and keep in so much frigging heat. I also don't know if they would really work. I was at a youth league meeting with a guy throwing a shit fit that they don't work. To prove his point he pulled out a commonly used neck guard and a pair of scissors, and he cut it in front of everyone. The league board members just said "and yet, they can slow the skate blade's progress through to the neck, so they're still mandatory."

I don't know if cuts are happening more often because of skates being sharper, more collisions, more hockey in general, or we just hear about it more easily in the day of internet news vs word of mouth back in the day. But I feel like we hear about skate cuts pretty often anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
After a former Penguin, playing in England, died yesterday from a skate cut to his neck, I wonder if the NHL or other leagues will start to enforce neck guards. Every time one of these things happens, I put my neck guard into my bag. But if I'm honest, I haven't actually worn one since shortly after the Clint Malarchuk incident. They are so uncomfortable and keep in so much frigging heat. I also don't know if they would really work. I was at a youth league meeting with a guy throwing a shit fit that they don't work. To prove his point he pulled out a commonly used neck guard and a pair of scissors, and he cut it in front of everyone. The league board members just said "and yet, they can slow the skate blade's progress through to the neck, so they're still mandatory."

I don't know if cuts are happening more often because of skates being sharper, more collisions, more hockey in general, or we just hear about it more easily in the day of internet news vs word of mouth back in the day. But I feel like we hear about skate cuts pretty often anymore.

I think they're definitely sharper now that you can change blades out and dispose (which I absolutely hate BTW). Also the added speed and athleticism of today's players is adding to the danger.

And that fucking demonstration was bullshit. In no way does a skate blade behave like a pair of scissors. He should've at least tried cutting through it with a knife.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:41 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I think they're definitely sharper now that you can change blades out and dispose (which I absolutely hate BTW). Also the added speed and athleticism of today's players is adding to the danger.

And that fucking demonstration was bullshit. In no way does a skate blade behave like a pair of scissors. He should've at least tried cutting through it with a knife.

Agreed all around. Just the sheer size of players now, the speed of the game. Do teams really throw away the blades after a use or two? That's disgusting if so. I know Crosby gets a fresh pair after each shift, which I think is ridiculous. The equipment managers must hate these modern players. :lol: They probably spend most of the evening sharpening. Probably have like 25-30 pairs/player ready to go for each game.

The demonstration- some of these coaches care far more about their players having any advantage over safety. This guy was saying neckguards are useless, restrict head mobility, "weigh down the player" with sweat (I actually laughed out loud and he glared at me, which only made me laugh more), etc. Side note- his org was kicked out of the league at the end of that year or the year after. Illegal recruiting, which tells you all you need to know about a guy coaching 14U hockey. They aren't going to the NHL but he tried to sell them the dream that he could get them there. I don't think he ever produced a D1 player.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:41 am 

IIHF will require neck guards at all future games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:02 pm 

Isn't there a site somewhere that shows what the current NHL standings would be if the league used a 3 point/game system? I can't find it. I thought there was one that updated daily.