OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The End Of The Line
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:23 pm 
King of Men

We don't have a retirement thread around here! Yeah they are individual threads but we need a running one.

So I was going to start this with Chara and Jumbo Joe only to find out that they currently play for the Isles and Panthers respectively....... :wth:

I guess I have nothing to offer here and the most notable retirement recently was Lundquvist and Krejci. Along with a glut of long time tenders in Crawford, Rinne and Ryan Miller.

We'll sticky this just the same for future career calling.

Post subject: Re: The End Of The Line
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 pm 
Big in Japan

I thought you were talking about YOUR end of the line and I got worried for a sec.

Craig Anderson is another 40-year-old still at it. He's the starter in Buffalo! Just by accumulation has become one of the top USA goalies in league history.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chara
Thornton
Marleau
Anderson
And maybe Malkin

Those are the guys to watch for sure. I'm guessing Chara is definitely done after this season, Joe and Patrick likely as well. No idea on Anderson, who ran into injury trouble earlier in his career only to come back again and again.

We'll see on Malkin. Based on what I'm reading, unless he signs an extension in Pittsburgh, he might very well pull a Datsyuk and play out the string back home.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Marleau retired, no? Or at least informally?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Watching Chara for 4 games. He's pretty much done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:57 pm 

Weber?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:07 pm 
King of Men

BCG wrote:
Weber?

Is he official yet?....most recently I am seeing Travis Zajac and Curtis McIlhenney and Backes................

I guess I missed dudes like Daley, Koivu and Howard......

Wow....just goes to show its a fade.....

Craig Anderson must be an alien hybrid! I thought that brother was done years ago...and here he is propping up the Sabres.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Marleau retired, no? Or at least informally?

Is he not playing? Oh shit, I just assumed he was still lurking around Silicon Valley.

He expressed a desire to keep playing, but I guess the rest of the league wasn't really interested.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:23 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
BCG wrote:
Weber?

Is he official yet?....

I was putting him into the Chara pile. IIRC, if he retires next season, the Habs don't have a recapture penalty? Nashville however.....they're lucky they changed the rules this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:28 pm 

BCG wrote:
I was putting him into the Chara pile. IIRC, if he retires next season, the Habs don't have a recapture penalty? Nashville however.....they're lucky they changed the rules this year.

They'll likely just LTIR him, aka send him to Robidas Island. But even in cases like that they don't even pretend they're not retired, I want to say Hossa just came out and said it even though they clearly weren't going to file the paperwork. Even though he's already working for the Habs in a different capacity, I imagine he wants that money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:27 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
BCG wrote:

They'll likely just LTIR him, aka send him to Robidas Island. But even in cases like that they don't even pretend they're not retired, I want to say Hossa just came out and said it even though they clearly weren't going to file the paperwork. Even though he's already working for the Habs in a different capacity, I imagine he wants that money.

I was thinking the Habs would use it as a trade chip with Nashville as I think if Weber retires, the Habs don't get dinged. However, Nashville can put him on LTIR if they reacquire him. How much is a 7M cap hit worth to Nashville?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 pm 

Braydon Coburn just announced his retirement. He only played 38 games with the franchise before being traded in what was at the time one of the worst-ever deadline deals, but that's one more Atlanta Thrasher gone from the game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Braydon Coburn just announced his retirement. He only played 38 games with the franchise before being traded in what was at the time one of the worst-ever deadline deals, but that's one more Atlanta Thrasher gone from the game.

With Evander Kane possibly done and Burmistrov likely never coming back, the Thrashers are an endangered species.

There's Ladd, Wheeler, Little (if he comes back), Bogosian.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm 
King of Men

The Dion officially retired today........... :shock: I thought he retired a long time ago.

I will always remember The Dion as that "new breed" of player who shucked the hockey code. Would run around lighting dudes up and then run away from the consequences that existed back in the day. The beginning of the end of the old game.

I really liked him when he broke into the league with Calgary but he did that a few times and that was it for me.

I have his signed rookie card sitting on my office desk!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:23 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
The Dion officially retired today........... :shock: I thought he retired a long time ago.

I will always remember The Dion as that "new breed" of player who shucked the hockey code. Would run around lighting dudes up and then run away from the consequences that existed back in the day. The beginning of the end.

I really liked him when he broke into the league with Calgary but he did that a few times and that was it for me.

I have his signed rookie card sitting on my office desk!

I've hated him ever since he took my gf..... why'd you do it Elisha? :lol:

I was surprised to read the "retirement" announcement too.... is it really retiring when no one wants you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:22 pm 

Fun player to watch for both good and bad reasons that first season in Calgary. Maaaaan were they pumped about him.

Things went awry when Sutter went out and got Jay Bouwmeester, Dion didn't really gel that well with him and to this day I say he flat-out refused to pass it to the guy or let him break it up the ice on the power play.

Landed in a horrid situation in Toronto and took a huge brunt of the blame when things went wrong under Burke/Wilson. The only guys who got more shit than him IMO were Phil and James Reimer.

Aged very badly for whatever reason, I'm assuming injuries just slowed him down way too much.

But whatever, married a hot-as-hell movie star and made millions playing hockey. Didn't get a ring but I don't feel too bad for him.

I wish he had gotten a chance to truck Sean Avery for that horrid "sloppy seconds" comment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:52 pm 
King of Men

Ben Bishop apparently....degenerative knee issue.

https://www.tsn.ca/dallas-stars-ben-bishop-1.1734750

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:05 pm 
King of Men

Well in year of 21-22 we also saw the temporary comeback and permanent retirement of Tuuka Rask.

Could this also be the end of the line for Carey Price? Seems likely.

Its a goalie turnover this year!

Ryan Getzlaf also wraps it up...but Chara is still going?

I would imagine Jumbo Joe and Chara call it quits in the offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:51 pm 

Price will likely give it one more try next year. Obviously he cannot rely on painkillers to mask injuries any longer, so if there's one more setback, I think he'll be done.

Chara HAS to be done after this year.

Ryan Getzlaf hung them up, but did so at the Ducks' final home game of the season, not the final game of the season period. I don't recall that happening before, but I think it's totally fine. I cannot believe Corey effin' Perry actually moved me with his heartfelt and emotional tribute to Getzlaf after the latter announced he was done.

Patrick Marleau hasn't officially retired, but I imagine the announcement will come soon. Joe Thornton will probably be done as well, and with those two and Chara I think that'll be it for players drafted in the '90s.

Finally, it already looks like P.K. Subban is gearing up for life after hockey. I certainly hope, for his sake, that he just makes a smooth transition to the broadcast booth and runs with it. He was made for that job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:40 pm 

Ryan Getzlaf's 2003 draft classmate Dustin Brown has announced that this regular season and playoffs will be his last.

I have some exceedingly unkind things to say about Brown, but I think I'll save them for the Kings forum later.