OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2021 NHL Season
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:51 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Now that we're well into the throws of NHL realignment with the new pandemic restructure, I wanted to get your take on how much you are paying attention to the NHL outside your own team division?

Personally I am paying way less attention to other divisions outside the Scotia North. It's almost like entirely different leagues outside the North - which strikes me is strange because I would normally to pay far more attention to other teams and divisional races, player stats far more closely prior to this season. It's amazing how much fan perspectives can be changed so quickly by drastic realignment.

It also seems like the novelty is already starting to wear off with these 3 and 4 game sets against the same team. Next week Calgary plays Winnipeg 4 times in a row and the Canucks are already back in Montreal. That's just too much.

I could see back to back games (like 2 in a row in the same city) being the legacy of this season to reduce travel costs but little else. This current set up is not good for league wide fan exposure.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: 2021 NHL Season
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:20 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I check scores in other divisions, but I was never one to watch too many regular season games outside the Patrick/Metrosexual/McRib Eastern Division, other than during playoffs. I'm too busy, other than nights when I can't sleep, like tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

I've put some Detroit games on my phone while playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, but I can't even tell you who is in their division :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:48 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Now that we're well into the throws of NHL realignment with the new pandemic restructure, I wanted to get your take on how much you are paying attention to the NHL outside your own team division?

They play hockey outside of Canada? Would never have guessed that. :lol:

Yeah I'm finding myself pretty oblivious to what is going on elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:26 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I try to watch the best game each night along with Detroit's game. The Red Wings play so badly some nights that I need to watch some well played hockey to get the Wings' mental stench out of my head. I really miss seeing the other teams from the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Friedman has remarked in at least two of his 31 Thoughts podcasts that he feels oddly disconnected from the rest of the league because of the realignment. There are quite a few people coming out saying the Roots North Division should stay, I say horseshit, it shouldn't. This is stupid, but necessary given the severe quarantine protocols involved with crossing international borders. But by NO MEANS should it continue once the pandemic is dealt with...whenever that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:23 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The travel issues is enough that the divisions should remain the novelty they are for this season. I find all the mini series blocks of games also detaches me from the other teams in the division.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 am 

I went to see if it was worth checking the standings, as I usually don't bother until at least the 1/4 way point. Saw the Canucks have played 19 games so they're 1/3 through their season. Most teams are around 14 GP and the Devils are at 9. Nine times Mrs. Bueller. They're going to have so many sets of 3 games in 4 days to make this up. Should be fun to watch. If there wasn't a rule against it, we'd probably see some double headers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm 

Does anyone else not give even the slightest fuck about the divisions other than the one their favorite team plays in this year? I couldn't give a shit at all about anything but the McFugget East. The other divisions can shit in their hats for all I care.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Does anyone else not give even the slightest fuck about the divisions other than the one their favorite team plays in this year? I couldn't give a shit at all about anything but the McFugget East. The other divisions can shit in their hats for all I care.

Same, I think it's even more cloistered for the North. Good luck to any journalist voting for awards this year. I doubt anyone has seen enough of the other divisions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Same, I think it's even more cloistered for the North. Good luck to any journalist voting for awards this year. I doubt anyone has seen enough of the other divisions.

Seriously. I'd love to see the regionalism of the votes. It'll be great fun.