OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reverse Retros
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm 
Big in Japan

All 31 teams unveiled new jerseys today bringing in bits from their past. Some real beauts: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-reveals-ad ... -319633384

Love the Avalanche Nords. Controversial!

Last edited by E.L. on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Reverse Retros
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:49 pm 
Big in Japan

My faves:

Kings mixing the 90s logo with the 80s colours
Minnesota Wild Stars
The Colour Purple Yotes
The Las Vegas Golden Wranglers
The classic Panthers logo
Aforementioned Nordlanche
The Habs very literal reverse colours

Least faves:

Burning Red Blues
The non-fishstick Isles
The Hartford Graylers
The shoula been teal Sharks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:11 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

If the Isles used the fisherman, older fans would revolt. Younger fans would be like "I'll tip my avocado toast to that!" But fuck them. They didn't live through the fisherman years. Dark times, indeed!

I will agree the Bill Guerin era look alike jersey is pretty lame. I think they were concerned about pissing people off like the Matt Moulson era black jerseys did, then the "Brooklyn colors" black/white ones... Isles fans have hated most of their 3rd jerseys all along.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:14 pm 
OTP Historian

The Kings ones are great. Devils too, though teams just have to say no to more stripes at some point.

Detroit mailed it in. Wtf.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
The Kings ones are great. Devils too, though teams just have to say no to more stripes at some point.

Good gravy that Detroit one is ugly. Bring back the 75 year stripeys!

Agreed on the Devils: could've been cleaner but you can't beat the colour scheme.

The Isles have the same problem as the Habs: perfectly clean look and colour scheme that's impossible to mess with. They've gone full orange before, yeah?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:48 pm 

Like: Buffalo; Boston; Rangers

Hate: Both Edmonton and Calgary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Good gravy that Detroit one is ugly. Bring back the 75 year stripeys!

Agreed on the Devils: could've been cleaner but you can't beat the colour scheme.

The Isles have the same problem as the Habs: perfectly clean look and colour scheme that's impossible to mess with. They've gone full orange before, yeah?

The orange in the past had the "sun burst" shape, which got some backlash. Okay, lots of backlash...
DiPietro had bright orange pads for a while, and despite being healthy, had the worst stats of his career. Similar for Fleury while wearing his bright yellow pads. I'm convinced shooters could more easily see where the pads were/weren't and could score more easily. I think the same theory goes for bright jerseys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
My faves:

Kings mixing the 90s logo with the 80s colours
Minnesota Wild Stars
The Colour Purple Yotes
The Las Vegas Golden Wranglers
The classic Panthers logo
Aforementioned Nordlanche
The Habs very literal reverse colours

Least faves:

Burning Red Blues
The non-fishstick Isles
The Hartford Graylers
The shoula been teal Sharks

The fucking Flames brought back "Blasty," the flaming snot-horse that emblazoned their black jerseys for a year. I didn't realize until yesterday the stupid logo isn't even symmetrical.

The other two were huge missed opportunities. The Canucks could've come through with an awesome spin on their infamous "Flying V" jerseys but instead came out with a variation on the singular worst uniform they've ever had.

And the one that kinda/sorta should have worked but doesn't--the Wylde put together a North Stars jersey with all the trimmings, even the numbers have that green drop-shadow effect, but then stopped way short by putting the Wylde logo on the front, which just doesn't look good at all. If you're gonna go North Stars...then go North Stars.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:41 pm 

Oh, Jesus Christ... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fucking Canucks - just add this jersey to the heaping pile of shit jerseys - and missed opportunity, corporate, average at best Canuck jersey designers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:08 pm 

Don't understand why Aquilini loves that stupid Orca logo so much--I would think he'd want to distance himself from the previous owners a bit.

In any event it's the Canucks' worst logo, not sure why it has so much staying power.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:22 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Don't understand why Aquilini loves that stupid Orca logo so much--I would think he'd want to distance himself from the previous owners a bit.

In any event it's the Canucks' worst logo, not sure why it has so much staying power.
Aquilini has no class nor taste when it comes to aesthetic decisions and can't think for himself so just defers to his crew of marketing consultants who are likely taking him for a long ride on constipated Orca.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Have they ever done the orange, red and black with the hockey stick logo? Oh baby that would be sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Have they ever done the orange, red and black with the hockey stick logo? Oh baby that would be sweet.

No, I was thinking myself that that is the retro they should have chosen. The stick logo is still my fav and throwing in the garish halloween colours would have been a nice twist putting together two historic sweaters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:07 am 

I think the Wild stayed away from the North Star logo because the Stars still exist and are doing so many embarrassing things with their uniforms. Who wants to associate with them?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:59 am 
Big in Japan

Montreal french newspaper La Presse ranked them (also easy to flip through them here): https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2 ... s-beau.php

No surprise which ones got ranked 1-2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 am 

E.L. wrote:
Montreal french newspaper La Presse ranked them (also easy to flip through them here): https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2 ... s-beau.php

and Ottawa #3, no homerism in that article

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:20 am 
Big in Japan

Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:

and Ottawa #3, no homerism in that article

True. Another french daily asked Nordiques fans how they felt: https://www.journaldequebec.com/2020/11 ... ques-revit

One considers it hypocritical that the Nordiques brand is valuable enough to sell on a third jersey but the team itself isn't worth bringing back.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:35 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
And the one that kinda/sorta should have worked but doesn't--the Wylde put together a North Stars jersey with all the trimmings, even the numbers have that green drop-shadow effect, but then stopped way short by putting the Wylde logo on the front, which just doesn't look good at all. If you're gonna go North Stars...then go North Stars.

I dunno, there is a subtle-dare-I-say-understated nod here to the North Stars - there is a star where the eye should be on the Wild logo. Overall, I liked this one probably the most.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:13 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I dunno, there is a subtle-dare-I-say-understated nod here to the North Stars - there is a star where the eye should be on the Wild logo. Overall, I liked this one probably the most.

I think it annoys me more when a team designs a uniform that comes oh-so-close to getting it right as opposed to a complete disaster--this is an example of the former. I honestly thought that maybe someday the Wylde would get rights to the North Stars name and just revert back to it, maybe keep that cool bear logo as a secondary. But I've changed my mind on that. At the very least you can't have the "river" part be yellow. Looks like piss. Obviously I am by no means the authority on good uniform design--I'm just some middle-aged schlub with an opinion--but this one doesn't work for me.

The one that's been almost universally dunked on is the one the Islanders came out with. Ironically they finally come out with a "third jersey" that plays it safe as opposed to the wildly garish attempts they've had in the past, and it draws even more ire. There's one instance where (sorry Chris) bringing back the Fishsticks sweater or a variation on it would've been a good idea.