OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reverse Retros
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh, also...y'all okay Detroit? I mean...at least try next time.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2 ... /questions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
The one that's been almost universally dunked on is the one the Islanders came out with. Ironically they finally come out with a "third jersey" that plays it safe as opposed to the wildly garish attempts they've had in the past, and it draws even more ire. There's one instance where (sorry Chris) bringing back the Fishsticks sweater or a variation on it would've been a good idea.

You're entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be. The Fisherman should be wrapped in spare netting, have 4 anchors tied to him and he should be dropped to a watery grave. Fuck that fictitious guy. With the Whalers' harpoon. Alternatively, give the fucker NY style concrete shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
You're entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be. The Fisherman should be wrapped in spare netting, have 4 anchors tied to him and he should be dropped to a watery grave. Fuck that fictitious guy. With the Whalers' harpoon. Alternatively, give the fucker NY style concrete shoes.

It's amazing what a few years will do though--nostalgia makes almost everything look better. The Kachina jerseys in Arizona were derided when they first came out, now people can't get enough of them.

BTW, those new purple RR sets Arizona came out with are about the first thing that moribund franchise has done right in quite a while.

But...back to the Islanders. Here's what they should've done. Bring back the 1996-98 jerseys, which still kept the wavy patterns of the Fishsticks era but brought back the classic logo. Best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 am 

Dude, that's childhood trauma shit right there.

The fisherman, and anything related to it (teal and wavy lines) need to go the fuck away. For. Eva.
There was nothing good about that era.
Next you'll say Don Maloney should be Isles GM. Oh wait, you did that already.

Did someone piss in your coffee and say it was me?

I actually liked the Coyotes Kachina jerseys back in the day. Nice departure from the norm, for a franchise that didn't have a history to ruin. The Isles had a history and pissed on it with the teal and fisherman. I've probably written about this before on here, but the fisherman was brought about by the "Gang of Four" Isles ownership group- which was 4 season ticket holders who bought the team for a song from an out of touch Pickett. They pulled such great moves as forcing Bill Torrey to retire (and replacing him with Maloney), brought in Milbury as coach, and brought about the fisherman logo- with the ENTIRE focus group approving the logo being one of the Gang of Four's 2 kids (I believe they were 11 and 13 at the time). The league basically said "okaaaaaaay, if you really want to do this, remember jerseys are approved for 3 years at a time". Fans flipped their lids, Ray Ferraro left as a UFA and immediately said in his Rangers press conference that the logo was a disaster. The Isles changed the logo back ASAP but the league made them keep those jerseys. When they announced they were ditching the fisherman Kasparitis said on camera "Good! We look like idiots". And he was right. Fuck that logo. Fuck those jerseys. Fuck anyone who likes either of them.

Some things the Isles could have done with the RR jerseys- a lighthouse design, to pay homage to Charles Wang's idea and vision. He kept the team in NY and Isles fans owe him gratitude for that. They could have done something about Belmont! Chances are they're saving that for when they move there, but it could have been cool. They could have had jail bars for all the owners they've had with legal issues (https://www.lighthousehockey.com/law-owners-special-islanders-unit/2013/1/4/3782660/new-york-islanders-ownership-history-stephen-walsh-paul-greenwood#:~:text=Stephen%20Walsh%20and%20Paul%20Greenwood,for%20securities%20and%20wire%20fraud..)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

The fisherman, and anything related to it (teal and wavy lines) need to go the fuck away. For. Eva.

This is the point that someone made on twitter. People think those sweaters were hilarious/awesome and should be brought back. It was a terrible fucking era for Isles fans and for them, a reminder of everything wrong with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

This is the point that someone made on twitter. People think those sweaters were hilarious/awesome and should be brought back. It was a terrible fucking era for Isles fans and for them, a reminder of everything wrong with it.

Yes. It's not JUST a terrible and misguided logo. It's a reminder of when EVERYTHING really went wrong for the franchise. Made the ECF in 93 and then Maloney dismantled the team. Milbury. Muller. Fisherman/teal. Shitty owner after shitty owner. Good, young players traded away for dogshit to save money and maintain the lowest payroll in the league by millions. Everything was a kick in the balls, and then Ranger fans chanted "we want fish sticks" for 10 years in reference to the dumb logo. Is it funny? In a laughing AT it way, yes. If someone gave me a fisherman jersey I'd probably use it to wash the wheels on my car. No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm 

Give Anaheim credit, they not only went big and brought back one of the most mocked jerseys in NHL history, but this one honestly lives up to the name “reverse retro.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anahei ... nouncement

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:44 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Did someone piss in your coffee and say it was me?

I actually liked the Coyotes Kachina jerseys back in the day. Nice departure from the norm, for a franchise that didn't have a history to ruin. The Isles had a history and pissed on it with the teal and fisherman. I've probably written about this before on here, but the fisherman was brought about by the "Gang of Four" Isles ownership group- which was 4 season ticket holders who bought the team for a song from an out of touch Pickett. They pulled such great moves as forcing Bill Torrey to retire (and replacing him with Maloney), brought in Milbury as coach, and brought about the fisherman logo- with the ENTIRE focus group approving the logo being one of the Gang of Four's 2 kids (I believe they were 11 and 13 at the time). The league basically said "okaaaaaaay, if you really want to do this, remember jerseys are approved for 3 years at a time". Fans flipped their lids, Ray Ferraro left as a UFA and immediately said in his Rangers press conference that the logo was a disaster. The Isles changed the logo back ASAP but the league made them keep those jerseys. When they announced they were ditching the fisherman Kasparitis said on camera "Good! We look like idiots". And he was right. Fuck that logo. Fuck those jerseys. Fuck anyone who likes either of them.

Some things the Isles could have done with the RR jerseys- a lighthouse design, to pay homage to Charles Wang's idea and vision. He kept the team in NY and Isles fans owe him gratitude for that. They could have done something about Belmont! Chances are they're saving that for when they move there, but it could have been cool. They could have had jail bars for all the owners they've had with legal issues (https://www.lighthousehockey.com/law-owners-special-islanders-unit/2013/1/4/3782660/new-york-islanders-ownership-history-stephen-walsh-paul-greenwood#:~:text=Stephen%20Walsh%20and%20Paul%20Greenwood,for%20securities%20and%20wire%20fraud..)

Funny what role perspective plays in all of this. See, I remember it differently. Back in the 1994-95 season, the Islanders had their IHL (back when the IHL still existed) affiliate right in Denver, Colorado. The Denver Grizzlies signaled a return of pro hockey after the Colorado Rangers left in 1989. It was a pretty big deal, and the Grizzlies, unlike their parent club, were frickin' awesome. They went onto win the Turner Cup championship in their first year of existence, and a friend reminded me that two notable players who contributed quite a bit to that championship run were a couple youngsters named Zigumnd Palffy and Tommy Salo. It was the beginning of great things for the Grizzlies in Colorado...except for the fact that we all found out soon after that we were getting an NHL franchise. The Grizzlies would go onto win a second Turner Cup championship the following season, except they won it in their new location in Utah, where they ended up playing until the IHL went belly-up at the turn of the century, eventually the rights got bought by, yes, the Avalanche and they became what is now known as the Cleveland Monsters.

Anyway, I digress big-time. I just remember seeing Palffy and Salo in those ridiculous jerseys and, as ridiculous and asinine as those sweaters looked, I still kinda link those two guys with that look (and also, IIRC, that infamous celebratory kiss). Time has a way of healing all wounds and I think it'd be fine to just embrace it. Yes, it was a mistake, but it happened, and shoving it away in a little box ain't gonna make it like it didn't. And frankly, the fact that they're still making merchandise out of it and it's selling well makes me think that there are quite a few fans who don't share your sentiment.

Lastly, you should probably go a little easy on Maloney. I used to think Don Waddell was one of the worst GMs in NHL history, and his stint with the Thrashers was no doubt disastrous. But seeing how he's doing running the Canes, it sure looks like the downright toxic ownership group in Atlanta was more to blame than Waddell was, and I think you can say something similar about Maloney in Long Island. Whether it was deserved or not, he would go on to win the first-ever NHL GM of The Year Award, and his stint in Arizona wasn't really that bad (and ironically that ownership situation wasn't much better). Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't gotten another shot somewhere.

Oh, sorry, I have to add this. You can call the Fishsticks jersey ugly as hell all you want, and you'd be right, but IMO they're not even close to the worst look the Isles have ever trotted out. That honor would belong to these WTF designs.

And you can disagree all you want--I think this one BY FAR is the worst fucking thing they ever came up with. Reebok EDGE was a very dark time in the NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:28 pm 

Ha, I actually like the black with orange/blue when they first came out. Then it became apparent that the players hated them because they were something like 1-13-2 in those jerseys if I recall correctly. Fans brought it up all the time.

The black/white NY ones (with the dickhead modeling up there) - were supposed to align them with their Barclays roommates, the Nets. It didn't work.

The orange sunburst- I like it. Always did. It was different, but still used the right logo.

The Reebok Edge era was pretty much dog shit for everyone.

Isles fans seem split almost 50/50 on the fisherman logo. Know who likes it? Hipsters. Fucking annoying kids who just turned old enough to drink and are like "ohhhhh, it's so bad it's awesome! I liked it before I got skinny jeans and grew my patchy ass beard." All said while frying their words. The fisherman is the patron saint of douche bags.