It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm 
Big in Japan

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/go ... s-1978144/

WOW.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:21 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I heard this too but nothing official yet on NHL.com...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:32 pm 
Big in Japan

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I heard this too but nothing official yet on NHL.com...

I'm actually supposed to work the game tonight, so I'm waiting for official word. But everything else is being suspended so it's just a matter of time...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/12381569 ... 68/photo/1

And that's that. Hardly a surprise at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:11 pm 
King of Men

yep...that's that. Good year for the B's but a waste just the same. Flames get lucky this time around and avoid the inevitable questions. Maybe playoffs for the league but I doubt it.

Bigger concerns than sports though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:06 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Bigger concerns than sports though.

Yup.

Was listening on the radio when I went grocery shopping and was thinking about teams who traded futures for rentals at the deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm 

actually here's my far out thoughts. Everyone needs to stay home, but will be bored, especially without sports to watch. Gov't steps up and asks all players to play for 500k in small (inexpensive) venues shown on TV, will offer to make up any losses to franchises so they still break even but no profit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I just read the city of Toronto is banning all public events until June 30th. I'm pretty sure that's close to being it for the 2019-20 NHL season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
I just read the city of Toronto is banning all public events until June 30th. I'm pretty sure that's close to being it for the 2019-20 NHL season.

Holy shitballs. I guess that's what it'll take, but man, that's a long frigging time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:25 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:

Apparently this was city permit kind of stuff that didn't explicitly ban sporting events.

Plus, they paid for their arena themselves instead of using public funds, so is it really public? :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:35 am 

So Ontario is predicting the pandemic to last 18-24 months. I'm glad to finally hear a government come out and give bad case scenario. I'm wondering how sports are going to react. Will they shut down for two years or perhaps run in small venue and no fans and try and live on TV revenue? With everyone locked down the market for TV revenue would I think be quite large.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:40 am 
OTP Clown

I would love some nhl without fans in the rink right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:47 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
So Ontario is predicting the pandemic to last 18-24 months. I'm glad to finally hear a government come out and give bad case scenario. I'm wondering how sports are going to react. Will they shut down for two years or perhaps run in small venue and no fans and try and live on TV revenue? With everyone locked down the market for TV revenue would I think be quite large.
What immediately springs to mind is how they might produce it to give it. Fake fan backdrops and fake applause tracks like a sitcom. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:43 pm 

If the season gets fully canceled, the plaque on the Stanley Cup where this year's winner would go should have a 3D asterisk, aka, the Coronavirus appearance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:39 am 
King of Men

I'd really like to see a tournament here if they come back in August. At this point its kind of lost...there hasn't been a game for almost a month. Players and teams would take 2-3 weeks to ramp back up. In the interest of including everyone...I think its a league wide tourney based on Conference standings.....unfortunately the league isn't balanced correctly so you can't do that. So 1-12.....best of 5 until the conference finals or SCF which is best of 7.

That gives us some really good matchups to start with....Boston/Montreal anyone?

or you go back to the Division and take the top 6 in each and do it that way. That does leave certain teams like the Rangers and Chicago out in the cold though so probably not ideal considering you'd be adding in Anaheim and Buffalo at their expense.

Anyway...if they don't can it I think a tournament is the only way to do this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:48 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
I'd really like to see a tournament here if they come back in August. At this point its kind of lost...there hasn't been a game for almost a month. Players and teams would take 2-3 weeks to ramp back up. In the interest of including everyone...I think its a league wide tourney based on Conference standings.....unfortunately the league isn't balanced correctly so you can't do that. So 1-12.....best of 5 until the conference finals or SCF which is best of 7.

That gives us some really good matchups to start with....Boston/Montreal anyone?

or you go back to the Division and take the top 6 in each and do it that way. That does leave certain teams like the Rangers and Chicago out in the cold though so probably not ideal considering you'd be adding in Anaheim and Buffalo at their expense.

Anyway...if they don't can it I think a tournament is the only way to do this.

Part of the trouble is the uneven number of games played leading to falsely inflated standings. Guess they could use points/game at the stopping point and choose the top 6. Or something like give the top 3 from each division a bye for a week or so, during which time the remaining teams have a wild card play in tournament, so to speak. Like the teams in WC1 & WC2 get a bye, while the remaining teams (non-playoff normally) have single game knockout matchups. So matchups would go: 9 vs 16, 10 vs 15, 11 vs 14, 12 vs 13. Losers go home. Then there's a day off. Then the winners play each other for the right to play either WC1 or WC2 the following night, which gives an advantage to the current WC teams. Then after the WC teams play, playoffs go on as normal. Maybe reduce to 5 game series to save at least a week overall on playoffs.

Just thought it up now. Maybe didn't explain well, but it's not really my job, is it?

So for the east, Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Caps, Philly and Pens are automatically in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 pm 

NHL considering August return without fans.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/nhl-late-summ ... -1.5523339

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

I don't know. On one hand, it just seems ridiculous to have top level pros playing in an empty arena. It will be so strange to watch that. On the other hand, it might be cool to hear players themselves celebrating. Although I think the networks will have to kill the sound, or some people will complain about what they hear players saying. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:19 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

I don't know. On one hand, it just seems ridiculous to have top level pros playing in an empty arena. It will be so strange to watch that. On the other hand, it might be cool to hear players themselves celebrating. Although I think the networks will have to kill the sound, or some people will complain about what they hear players saying. :lol:

Well govt of Ontario came out last week and said we can reasonably expect this to last 18-24 months. Sports does play a morale/entertainment boost for folks locked in at home. No they're not essential services but I can see governments allowing them to play just for TV just because 12+ months of this is going to affect everyone in unpredictable ways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:28 pm 
Old Man of the Post

While I would love to see a return to hockey, I can't see them playing in empty arenas. So much of the local revenue for the owners is ticket sales and related revenue. The TV broadcast revenue is fixed, and it's not like football or basketball where the TV revenues are huge by comparison.