OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://theathletic.com/767028/2019/01/ ... contracts/

This is hilarious. :lol: DGB did a best-possible team based on existing contracts, so he did the opposite and tried to construct the worst possible team while also staying under the cap. He ruled out "dead money" contracts like David Clarkson, didn't count split salaries (Dion Phaneuf, full cap hit and all, is there), and wanted to find contracts that not only screwed the team now, but down the road as well. Here's the results:

Lucic - Kesler - Neal
Abdelkader - Gagner - Nash
Beleskey - Glendening - Spooner
Comeau - Beagle - Weise

Phaneuf - Seabrook
Alzner - Zaitsev
Sbisa - Manning

Darling
Condon

Sbisa is the ONLY contract that comes off the books this year. Wow. :lol:

I especially loved this not-so-subtle jab...

Quote:
We’ll start our third line with Luke Glendening at $1.8 million. I hear you; this one actually isn’t all that bad of a deal for a versatile player, even as it runs through 2021 for a bottom-six guy who’ll be well into his 30s. But we need to go cheap on at least a few of these, and I’m still having flashbacks to the 2018 trade deadline when he was about to be traded to Toronto and Leaf fans had a collective panic attack, so he’s in. And his relatively meager cap hits gives us enough room to surround him with Rangers’ AHLer Matt Beleskey at $3.8 million and Edmonton’s Ryan Spooner at $4 million. That saddles Glendening with one linemate who’s spent most of his season toiling away for a minor league organization. And also Matt Beleskey.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:29 pm 

3 of them are Benning contracts :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 am 
Big in Japan

What happened to Zaitsev? Is he really irredeemable?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 am 

E.L. wrote:
What happened to Zaitsev? Is he really irredeemable?

I think it's just that he's a very ordinary defenseman signed to a ridiculously long-term deal. Not sure what Lou was thinking there, but I'm 100% positive Dubas must've been standing in the background trying to keep from screaming "Noooooooooo!!!!" as the offer was being put together.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:43 am 
OTP Historian

Av, you missed pointing this out about Glendening as well:

Quote:
Our leading scorer is Glendening, who has six goals and 15 points and wouldn’t even be on the team if we hadn’t needed to scrounge for a cheap option up front.

I hated that contract at the time but it's just...whatever. It's probably been fair value for a guy who does whatever the coach asks and pitches in 15-20 points. It's not as bad as others that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:29 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

No Clutterbuck? I figured he'd be on there, but he's been playing pretty well lately.

And Sbisa is only making $1.5 million on a 1 year deal. It's not like he's on a long term deal. But believe me, I wish they'd move that fucker somehow.

Someone should do a roster for like 3 years from now, which would highlight some long term bad contracts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:32 pm 

Bosc wrote:
I hated that contract at the time but it's just...whatever. It's probably been fair value for a guy who does whatever the coach asks and pitches in 15-20 points. It's not as bad as others that's for sure.

Well, he also mentioned that the Leafs were apparently linked to him in trade talks and the fans all freaked so that's one more reason they put him on there. :lol:

The contract isn't great, no, but it's not a horrid one, certainly not the worst one Holland signed during his WTF phase.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:36 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
No Clutterbuck? I figured he'd be on there, but he's been playing pretty well lately.

And Sbisa is only making $1.5 million on a 1 year deal. It's not like he's on a long term deal. But believe me, I wish they'd move that fucker somehow.

Someone should do a roster for like 3 years from now, which would highlight some long term bad contracts.

Oh he went into that. This team is really bad for a long time, too.

Quote:
But there’s good news: Things get brighter in the future. As bad as this team’s cap crunch is right now, it will get better if we can hold on through next year. Once this season ends, our roster will free up a grand total of … uh … $1.5 million.

That’s it. Luca Sbisa comes off the cap this summer. Everyone else is locked in through at least 2020, when six more names shake free. But even then, the biggest ticket we get out from under is Spooner’s $4 million. We’re still stuck with Phaneuf and Darling, among others, until 2021. And even on opening night of the 2022-23 season, a full four seasons into the future, we’ll still have over $27 million tied up in Lucic, Neal, Abdelkader, Seabrook and Zaitsev. (And those last two guys even have another year left after that.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Ok cool. Thanks! :lol: