It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Should Paul Henderson be in the HOF?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Marty and Marty joined the HHOF last night. So did Jayna Hefford and Alexander Yakushev.

The last one is kinda interesting because it's another USSR star getting in before Paul Henderson, who of course scored the greatest goal in hockey history against the Soviets. Historian and loudmouth Liam Maguire has been enthusiastically pounding the drum for Paul, to no avail so far.

What say ye? Should Henderson get in?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:25 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Marty and Marty joined the HHOF last night. So did Jayna Hefford and Alexander Yakushev.

The last one is kinda interesting because it's another USSR star getting in before Paul Henderson, who of course scored the greatest goal in hockey history against the Soviets. Historian and loudmouth Liam Maguire has been enthusiastically pounding the drum for Paul, to no avail so far.

What say ye? Should Henderson get in?

Paul should go in. That goal, and his performance overall in that most important hockey matchup ever makes him deserving. I'm sure everyone my age and older are baffled by this decision.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm 
OTP Historian

In terms of his career performance, he doesn't deserve it. But in terms of Fame? No question. I wouldn't really have a problem with him in or out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Fogghorn wrote:

Paul should go in. That goal, and his performance overall in that most important hockey matchup ever makes him deserving. I'm sure everyone my age and older are baffled by this decision.

I totally concur with Fogg and voted yes. Very surprised that he's not in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 pm 
OTP Clown

He was good at the right time.

He should be in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee seems so dead-set on ignoring "sentiment" that they miss the forest for the trees. Case in point, Willie O'Ree should have been in there about 20 years ago if not sooner than that. If they had waited until after he had died that would have been an unforgivable offense.

BTW I'm not reducing O'Ree or Henderson's contributions to hockey as "sentimental," just saying they tend to just look at numbers and ignore the off-ice impact such people have had on the game. Just because you can't quantify a man or woman's life in hockey down to goals and assists and dollar signs doesn't mean they don't belong in there. Both Willie and Paul changed the course of the game and the culture that surrounds it. That deserves the nod.

I see you conveniently ignored the fact that Gary Bettman was also enshrined, which I don't mind at all. I commend Willie for showing the modicum of class that I never could in his place during his speech, but Gary absolutely, positively should NOT be in there, especially given the inexcusable move, which no doubt was concocted in part by him, to make the announcement of the concussion lawsuit settlement the same exact day as the ceremony.